TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! THE BIG 12 IS DEAD! MAYBE!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Re: TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! TH

Post by KCtonic »

KCMax wrote:The fact a mediocre Big 12 program like Mizzou could come in and compete for the SEC championships shows just how dominant the Big 12 was over the SEC!

Is it just me or is there not as much excitement in this town as you would expect over the prospect of a local school having a shot at a national championship?
Yep. It's just you. Seriously the "domination" of the big 12(really 10) is a fantasy only a kansas or kstate fan could dream up. I really do hope for success at kansas and state over the next few years, but posts like that make it difficult.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCtonic wrote:
KCMax wrote:The fact a mediocre Big 12 program like Mizzou could come in and compete for the SEC championships shows just how dominant the Big 12 was over the SEC!
Yep. It's just you. Seriously the "domination" of the big 12(really 10) is a fantasy only a kansas or kstate fan could dream up. I really do hope for success at kansas and state over the next few years, but posts like that make it difficult.
I hope everyone realizes I was joking. I mean, West Virginia.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCMax wrote:Why do they need a lot of help? Don't they just need to win + either a loss from Florida State or Ohio State?
That and hope and pray they jump Alabama.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

AllThingsKC wrote:
KCMax wrote:Why do they need a lot of help? Don't they just need to win + either a loss from Florida State or Ohio State?
I can't imagine the voters would allow Alabama to stay ahead of Mizzou. Plus Mizzou's SOS would be even better after a win over Auburn. No way Alabama gets in over Mizzou if Mizzou is the conference champ, especially after the Nebraska debacle a decade ago.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Last edited by Highlander on Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Highlander wrote:
AllThingsKC wrote:
No way in the world that Missouri would stay behind Alabama if they beat Auburn. I've heard that scenario being put forth but it's bogus. Mizzou would have been in their conference title game, just beat the team that beat Alabama and have one more win than Alabama has. I can certainly see tOSU staying in the #2 spot with a win over MSU regardless of who wins in Atlanta but Alabama isn't going to the NC game if Mizzou beats Auburn. College athletics would looked rigged and suffer a total loss of credibility if that happened.
As opposed too what? It's a corrupt, stupid and horrible system. Either have a real playoff, or quit having a national title game and go back to the old bowl system.

One of the voters on ESPN said he still voted Alabama against Auburn because if they played 10 times Alabama would win 8 of those. Alabama just made some dumb mistakes. WTF!?!? If you make mistakes win it's time to play you aren't better, even if you have better athletes. This isn't track, it football. It requires focus and intelligence, in addition to athleticism.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCMax wrote:The fact a mediocre Big 12 program like Mizzou could come in and compete for the SEC championships shows just how dominant the Big 12 was over the SEC! :lol:

Is it just me or is there not as much excitement in this town as you would expect over the prospect of a local school having a shot at a national championship? Is it the Chiefs overshadowing them? Mizzou pessimism? The fact they're in the SEC now? Or am I just running with people that don't care? Is there excitement in KC over Mizzou's chances?
Oh we care, we just know how to act. Just because we don't make our entire identity about the performance of our college team (looking at you Jayhawks) doesn't mean we don't care.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KCMax wrote:
AllThingsKC wrote:
I can't imagine the voters would allow Alabama to stay ahead of Mizzou. Plus Mizzou's SOS would be even better after a win over Auburn. No way Alabama gets in over Mizzou if Mizzou is the conference champ, especially after the Nebraska debacle a decade ago.
That seems right, given that MU and Alabama are very close together in the BCS numbers. But I also wouldn't be shocked if a sloppy, boring, close win over Auburn doesn't get MU past Alabama. If there was a school that was going to get hosed by something fluky in the last year of the BCS, it's MU, right?

And a MU loss puts them all the way out of the BCS bowls, which sucks more than a little. Especially after the great season they've had.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

shinatoo wrote:
KCMax wrote:The fact a mediocre Big 12 program like Mizzou could come in and compete for the SEC championships shows just how dominant the Big 12 was over the SEC! :lol:

Is it just me or is there not as much excitement in this town as you would expect over the prospect of a local school having a shot at a national championship? Is it the Chiefs overshadowing them? Mizzou pessimism? The fact they're in the SEC now? Or am I just running with people that don't care? Is there excitement in KC over Mizzou's chances?
Oh we care, we just know how to act. Just because we don't make our entire identity about the performance of our college team (looking at you Jayhawks) doesn't mean we don't care.
Heh. You'd be bursting with pride if you beat West Virginia like we did. BLUE WINGS RISING!
knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

Just a stat.

In the last seven years (2007 to 2013), Mizzou is averaging 9.1 wins per year.

With 11 wins to date in 2013, MU has won 64 games in 2007 to 2013. 64/7 = 9.14 wins a year.

By comparison, Oklahoma has won 72 games over the same period. An average of 10.3.

Mizzou isn't Oklahoma, but it is a good solid program.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

shinatoo wrote:
Just because we don't make our entire identity about the performance of our college team (looking at you Jayhawks) doesn't mean we don't care.
I'm sure it's hard to switch after decades of making your entire identity about the performance of your rival's college team.

Pretty sure no KU fans bought Gamecocks shirts this year.
Last edited by chingon on Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

harbinger911 wrote: Everyone I know that's not from kansas is pumped about this team.

I can imagine kansans are seething inside. :-)
Everyone you know must be a Mizzou fan, because no one who already wasn't cares. Sorry.

Honestly, I think most Kansas fan quietly hope Mizzou fails, but a quick perusal of Star comments sections re: Mizzou this year vs. KU BB articles every March more or less tells the story: Mizzou is having a great year, Mizzou's fanbase is excited and happy, and probably picked up a small bandwagon bump, but the vast majority of college athletics fans in the metro remain KU fans, and they watch Chiefs football. Just because Mizzou KC fanbase has always had a stepchild complex doesn't make the "seething" reciprocal.

Keep trolling though, it's a KC Mizzou-fan tradition that shouldn't hinge on how your team is performing, good or bad.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

KCtonic wrote:
KCMax wrote: Is it just me or is there not as much excitement in this town as you would expect over the prospect of a local school having a shot at a national championship?
Yep. It's just you.

It's not just you, in fact, Mizzou fans on this board were complaining about it just a month ago.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

chingon wrote:
KCtonic wrote:
KCMax wrote: Is it just me or is there not as much excitement in this town as you would expect over the prospect of a local school having a shot at a national championship?
Yep. It's just you.

It's not just you
I think you might be confusing Mizzou with Sporting KC....

Getting to the national championship is not really something to worry about until Mizzou wins on Saturday. And then they most likely have to watch and see what Ohio State and Florida State do...
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

knucklehead wrote:Just a stat.

In the last seven years (2007 to 2013), Mizzou is averaging 9.1 wins per year.

With 11 wins to date in 2013, MU has won 64 games in 2007 to 2013. 64/7 = 9.14 wins a year.
Please tell me the point of this stat isn't solely to bump up Mizzou's average wins per year from 9.1 to 9.14.
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

chingon wrote: I'm sure it's hard to switch after decades of making your entire identity about the performance of your rival's college team.

Pretty sure no KU fans bought Gamecocks shirts this year.
No, the notoriously Mizzou-obsessed KU fans were spending money on those clever "Muck Fizzou" shirts.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Last edited by Highlander on Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Highlander wrote: It is a good program. But all hyperbole aside (referencing KCMax's jesting over the B12 dominating the SEC), how is it that a good but not B12 leading program can come in and in the second season win the SEC east and make an appearance in the SEC championship game. It's not like Missouri is doing it with freshmen recruited into the SEC, they are winning because they have a lot of quality juniors and seniors all of which were recruited into the B12. That would suggests that the B12 was at least on par with the SEC east - but it's not like A&M has not been able to win in the west.
The Big 12 was a much, much better conference with the original 12 teams. It was either equal to or almost as good as the SEC. Prior to 2010, I honestly thought the Big 12 was well on it's way to overtake the SEC as the nation's "best conference." But now that 1/4 of the original conference is gone, the Big 12 is now the worst BCS conference.

If you're going to say that Mizzou is doing well because of players that were "recruited into the Big 12" (whatever that means), then you can't ignore that TCU and WVU make the Big 12 worse because they have players that were "recruited to play in the Mountain West and Big East." So, the Big 12 sucks because they have Big East and Mountain West recruits. And the funny part is most Big 12 fans consider that to be an "upgrade."

Remember: the SEC rejected West Virginia, but the SEC took Mizzou and A&M. One reason is I'm sure they saw how great the Big 12 used to be and considered that to be an upgrade to their conference. So far, Mizzou and A&M haven't exactly disappointed them.

The Big 12 used to be a great conference. But, it's not anymore. It's crap right now. It's the worst BCS conference. Somehow, that's an "upgrade."
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

AllThingsKC wrote: the Big 12 is now the worst BCS conference.
20% of its teams are in the Top 10. 40% of its teams are in the top 25.

For a comparison:

29% of SEC teams are top 10. 43% of SEC teams are in the top 25.

0.08% of ACC teams are top 10. 23% of ACC teams are top 25.

I know that Mizzou didn't leave the ACC, which is apparently your definition of "worst BCS conference", but on paper it sure looks like the Big 12 is quite a ways up the heap from worst.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

harbinger911 wrote: I think I figured out what chingon means, it's a cling-on that gets washed down the drain.
"Troll"? You are easily the biggest, fattest, shit-mouthed troll on this board.
You follow more people around here and quote them more than practically every other person on here - combined.
You're the greatest, man. The internet was invented for guys like you.