Restaurants in General

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Restaurants in General

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Went to eat at Jack's Stack in Martin City this evening. Got there before 5:00 and still had to wait 30 minutes before being seated. Not complaining about that but I did get a chance to think while waiting (yes, I know that can be dangerous). Before the casual dining establishments came into existence unless it was fast food going out to eat meant two things. One, get dressed up somewhat - in other words no blue jeans and tennis shoes. And two, either making reservations or waiting. Just wonder what restaurants are around that almost always have a wait time? Now, we have waited at Red Lobster and Olive Garden recently but that seems to be an oddity with casual dining establishments. And Strouds use to have a wait time, don't know about now.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Restaurants in General

Post by moderne »

Strouds Oak Ridge still has wait, and all the Cheddars'.
Repete
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Repete »

I hear OK joes always has a wait, but isn't that borderline fast food? Walk up to the counter, order either sit down or leave and bus your table yourself kind of place? I guess that's why most bbq joints do good in this town with a fast food mentality.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I mean there are places like Bluestem and Michael Smith where you need a reservation to even get a table. Otherwise, you'd have to wait quite a long time.

Eggstc has a pretty good wait if you get there for breakfast on the weekends.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

The drive through at Taco Bell on Wornall had a really long wait Friday night.

&
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Went to eat at Jack's Stack in Martin City this evening. Got there before 5:00 and still had to wait 30 minutes before being seated. Not complaining about that but I did get a chance to think while waiting (yes, I know that can be dangerous). Before the casual dining establishments came into existence unless it was fast food going out to eat meant two things. One, get dressed up somewhat - in other words no blue jeans and tennis shoes. And two, either making reservations or waiting. Just wonder what restaurants are around that almost always have a wait time? Now, we have waited at Red Lobster and Olive Garden recently but that seems to be an oddity with casual dining establishments. And Strouds use to have a wait time, don't know about now.
That's the original location and is very popular with those who live out south. Unlike the city central core, there's not many other options for good BBQ.

With Ok Joe's, there's probably 5 other really good BBQ places within a couple of miles of it's location off of Mission Rd.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Joe Smith wrote:
aknowledgeableperson wrote:Went to eat at Jack's Stack in Martin City this evening. Got there before 5:00 and still had to wait 30 minutes before being seated. Not complaining about that but I did get a chance to think while waiting (yes, I know that can be dangerous). Before the casual dining establishments came into existence unless it was fast food going out to eat meant two things. One, get dressed up somewhat - in other words no blue jeans and tennis shoes. And two, either making reservations or waiting. Just wonder what restaurants are around that almost always have a wait time? Now, we have waited at Red Lobster and Olive Garden recently but that seems to be an oddity with casual dining establishments. And Strouds use to have a wait time, don't know about now.
That's the original location and is very popular with those who live out south. Unlike the city central core, there's not many other options for good BBQ.

With Ok Joe's, there's probably 5 other really good BBQ places within a couple of miles of it's location off of Mission Rd.
I've been to Jack Stack's probably 50 times and almost always have had to wait. Sometimes even at lunch - always for dinner. I find it funny that most of better casual places in KC wouldn't have a wait. Unless you go off hours, it's pretty much par for the course in good casual places around the country (of course - casual can be pretty pricey with high end food and service nowadays).