Renovations of apartment buildings along Armour Blvd.

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Renovations of apartment buildings along Armour Blvd.

Post by Eon Blue »

Midtownkid wrote:If I am seeing that rendering correctly, it DOES look like it will have large porches on the front. It's not the exact same layout as a classic colonnade apartment, but still similar.

Definitely an upgrade from the original rendering. I like the brickwork at the top, it kind of matches the building to be demolished.
I noticed the same thing, that's part of the reason I made my post. They're soo close, why not take the design just a little further?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Historic KC Foundation reports on their Facebook page that the City's Historic Preservation Commission voted unanimously to deny the application to demolish the 4 historic buildings on Armour Boulevard.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Historic ... ion=stream
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

This could be a very short-lived celebration. There's exactly one way that this works out as a win for OHP, and that's if MAC or some other developer renovates the apartments and rents them out at market rate. Given that MAC's already said they can't make it work, so that leaves the two developers who were at today's meeting. (Did anyone catch who they were?) Most of the usual suspects of local historic developers have already backed away from this project.

Which leaves four ways this can go bad:
-MAC sits on the properties for 3 years and then knocks them down and building a new building
-MAC waits three years, demolishes, and builds a parking lot there.
-Another developer tries to renovate them and fails
-Another developer makes up for the gap in funding by stacking historic and affordable housing credits and the building becomes affordable housing at the moment when the majority of other buildings are moving in the opposite direction.

I am not thrilled that it's come to this for these buildings, but I have never heard a reasonable theory as to why MAC would deviate so far from a very successful business model if the buildings could be renovated profitably. This is exactly the type of building they make a killing on.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Another outcome is more likely. The City Council will ignore the recommendation of the Historic Preservation Committee, and vote to approve the demolition application.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

the thing I thought was telling is MAC was wanting to replace something like 48 units with 120 units. if they wanted to give up and tear down why make the effort of nearly tripling the units increases the risk you don't fill them all?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Well, to build new probably means they need to maximize income flow from the property to pay for financing and construction costs, thus more units.

I don't think they will have problems filling those units, because there are very few newly-built apartments completed in Midtown, the location is very convenient, and that part of Armour is on the far west end of MAC's properties-and away from Troost. They would be in walking distance to Kansas City Life Insurance, Penn Valley Community College, American Red Cross, Missouri Gas Energy, the VFW Building, and several other office buildings along Broadway as well as Hostess Brands offices and the US Bank branch on Main.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

FangKC wrote:Another outcome is more likely. The City Council will ignore the recommendation of the Historic Preservation Committee, and vote to approve the demolition application.
They can do that?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes, the City Council can vote to overrule the Historic Preservation Committee on any single action.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

In nearby news...noticed someone moving into Westport Central this weekend.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

DiggityDawg wrote:In nearby news...noticed someone moving into Westport Central this weekend.
That's good news. That project had stalled out for a while because of vandalism inside the building.

I count 18 buildings on Armour owned by MAC.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Last edited by KCtoBrooklyn on Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Broken image
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

chaglang wrote:Broken image
Should be fixed now, though it's too late.

It was an excellent event last night (I'm a bit surprised at how much it must have cost) and the Bellerive is looking good. The units I saw were decent, but I think a big selling point of the building will be the condo-style amenities such as a theater room, event space, game room with pool table, etc.

Some tidbits I gleaned from the event:
-The Bellerive is already 60% leased
-The Ricardo should start leasing soon (middle of October)
-The Kenwood is slated for completion early 2014
-Westport Central has two retail spaces on the first floor for rent
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/10/02/45 ... rmour.html
The plan calls for redeveloping 301 E. Armour to provide amenities to apartment residents. Besides the additional 300 parking spaces, potential reuses for the office building include a cafe, neighborhood grocery store, business incubator space and studio space for artists and musicians.
Things are starting to get interesting... this is the type of development I've been waiting for. With all of the new residents to the coming to the Armour corridor, it was only a matter of time before some amenities follow - although I'm a bit surprised at the use of this building and that MAC is the one doing this.

I'm afraid their impetus for purchasing this building is the extra parking (I think they may have underestimated KCs love/requirement of overabundant parking). I imagine it may be a while before anything happens with the building.
ThorsteinVeblen
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ThorsteinVeblen »

KCtoBrooklyn,

I would agree with your assessment. MAC definitely appeared to stress the parking garage aspect of the building. I would guess they will run some surveys to see which amenties local residents would like the most and based on feasibility/profitability, choose the best ones. Live/work areas are becoming popular so I could see some of space being rented for light office space if the demand is there.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

that building is absolutely hideous. i'd almost rather see it razed for parking. the garage is hideous too. they should put their new apartment building on this site.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

Would love to see it torn down and replaced with a much more beautiful residential tower with a major grocery store, local coffee shop, dry cleaners, and cafe/bar at ground level. Parking underground please!!

I'm moving back to KC next month and this corridor is definitely high on my "new home list." I'd love to continue my car-free lifestyle and if things like a grocery store were added within walking distance of these beautiful apartments, that would be more possible!!
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Midtownkid wrote:Would love to see it torn down and replaced with a much more beautiful residential tower with a major grocery store, local coffee shop, dry cleaners, and cafe/bar at ground level. Parking underground please!!

I'm moving back to KC next month and this corridor is definitely high on my "new home list." I'd love to continue my car-free lifestyle and if things like a grocery store were added within walking distance of these beautiful apartments, that would be more possible!!
Congratulations!
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:http://www.kansascity.com/2013/10/02/45 ... rmour.html
The plan calls for redeveloping 301 E. Armour to provide amenities to apartment residents. Besides the additional 300 parking spaces, potential reuses for the office building include a cafe, neighborhood grocery store, business incubator space and studio space for artists and musicians.
Is this where McKecknie's Colonnade Apartments were? Apparently there was a massive colonnaded apartment building on the south side of E. Armour, but I've never figured out where it was or found any photos of it.