GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by grovester »

MidtownCat wrote:So, next year when we really are supposed to compete for the playoffs (unlike this year) there are basically three things Dayton needs to do to assemble a ball club of actually doing so.

Acquire a:
-SS or 2nd that can hit, preferably with power
-C or RF that can hit with power and stay healthy

And
-resign Santana

Serious question, does anyone really have any faith whatsoever that he will be able to accomplish this?
I'm not even sure he thinks he needs all those things. I think they both think that if all their current pieces played up to snuff they could get by with 1 of 3.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

chingon wrote:
grovester wrote:No one's going anywhere unless there's no progress by the All star break next year.
I think Ned's gone if they are under .500.

Hopefully, Minnesota fires Gardenhire and we can watch in horror as some other AL Central team hires him (a la Terry Francona).

Then we can hire someone who failed in their job somewhere in the Braves organization.
No way Dayton hires his Braves buddy. DM will not be allowed to hire a third manager. Ned only goes when DM goes. And both will be here next year.

FWIW, Ned is without a contract for 2014. I expect an announcement on an extension within the next few weeks.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

MidtownCat wrote:So, next year when we really are supposed to compete for the playoffs (unlike this year) there are basically three things Dayton needs to do to assemble a ball club of actually doing so.

Acquire a:
-SS or 2nd that can hit, preferably with power
-C or RF that can hit with power and stay healthy

And
-resign Santana

Serious question, does anyone really have any faith whatsoever that he will be able to accomplish this?
They say it ain't over until the fat lady sings. Well, the fat lady is getting ready to get on the stage (I hate to say). The Royals have had a few good runs but have had some bad ones thrown in, probably much like any other .500 club during a season. However, to go to the middle of August with a playoff spot in sight is something that KC hasn't had for a decade.

Guess for next year I would agree with the above and also add:

1. Can't have Cain and Dyson on the same roster, that is unless they are the number 4,5, or 6 outfielder. Need to get rid of one or both.

2. What do you do with 3rd base? Send MM to Winter League ball or extended camp or whatever. His 2nd half has been better than the 1st by a long shot but it still seems he needs more work.

3. And speaking of batting there are a few other players having offensive years below expectations. Got the name of an above average hitting coach? A Charlie Lau would be great.

4. Pitching. A better performance from number 4 and 5 starters would be a good plus.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: 1. Can't have Cain and Dyson on the same roster, that is unless they are the number 4,5, or 6 outfielder. Need to get rid of one or both.
Uh, why? Cain has been one of the most valuable players on the team this year because of his defense. Dyson is a nice reserve outfielder. Neither are expensive at all. Why can't you have both? They are not similar players at all. And who replaces Cain in CF?
2. What do you do with 3rd base? Send MM to Winter League ball or extended camp or whatever. His 2nd half has been better than the 1st by a long shot but it still seems he needs more work.
Gotta sink or swim to Moose. I'd get a nice vet backup infielder who can mash lefties - kinda like what they did with Tejada. But you have to see what you have with Moose so you know if its time to go with him or cut bait.
3. And speaking of batting there are a few other players having offensive years below expectations. Got the name of an above average hitting coach? A Charlie Lau would be great.
He's dead.
4. Pitching. A better performance from number 4 and 5 starters would be a good plus.
Duffy should help a lot in this regard. I'll cross my fingers with Paulino. But I really think Santana's performance is much too volatile to sink 4-5 years into, which is what I think he'll command on the market. Teams are flush with cash and there are pretty much no good free agents this winter. Santana is going to get waaaaay overpaid. So who fills out this rotation? Its pretty embarrassing its been seven years and Danny Duffy is the only starting pitcher Dayton Moore has produced - and he's still a work in progress.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Welcome back, Turd Birds!

Get within 4-1/2 of the WC, have the entire city believing and then dump a steaming pile of crap on the season while you proceed lose 9 of the next 11. That's our Royals!
Last edited by MidtownCat on Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

Good to have your sentiment back! Last night sucked, get over it. It's not quite over yet, but maybe in your mind it is. Any faith still left? The team is steaky, but that doesn't mean they can't bounce back. It is encouraging and frustrating at the same time. Have a little faith. This comes from a pessimist. Don't give up on your team. I hate people who are fair weather fans. Come on Royals. Let's get it together, for all the naysayers. Let's push until the end and take the result for whatever it is.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

MidtownCat wrote:Get within 4-1/2 of the WC, have the entire city believing and then dump a steaming pile of crap on the season while you proceed lose 9 of the next 11. That's our Royals!
In fairness, being 4.5 games out of the WC in August is decidedly not very Royals-like. Shitting their pants, sure, but shitting their pants after being so promising? That's an unfamiliar type of disappointment.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

macnw wrote:Good to have your sentiment back! Last night sucked, get over it. It's not quite over yet, but maybe in your mind it is. Any faith still left? The team is steaky, but that doesn't mean they can't bounce back. It is encouraging and frustrating at the same time. Have a little faith. This comes from a pessimist. Don't give up on your team. I hate people who are fair weather fans. Come on Royals. Let's get it together, for all the naysayers. Let's push until the end and take the result for whatever it is.
This is a 462 page long thread about the losingest team of the post-strike era, there are no fair weather fans here.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Macnw does have a point, the Royals are streaky. Of course their proudest streak is going 28 years of missing the playoffs. And literally no other franchise in all of professional major league sports can take that away from us.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

macnw wrote:Good to have your sentiment back! Last night sucked, get over it. It's not quite over yet, but maybe in your mind it is. Any faith still left? The team is steaky, but that doesn't mean they can't bounce back. It is encouraging and frustrating at the same time. Have a little faith. This comes from a pessimist. Don't give up on your team. I hate people who are fair weather fans. Come on Royals. Let's get it together, for all the naysayers. Let's push until the end and take the result for whatever it is.
Maybe some have given up, even before the All-star break. A few still had a degree of hope two weeks ago. But these last games have taken the wind out of the sails, or like a punch in the stomach (or a little lower). Still in it for this season but face it, it is time to see which players you need to keep or get rid of for the next.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:...but face it, it is time to see which players you need to keep or get rid of for the next.
Or which coach you need to get rid of.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

macnw wrote:Let's push until the end and take the result for whatever it is.
This is the attitude that's allowed a quarter century of losing.

Sorry, but it is.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

DiggityDawg wrote:

Sorry, but it is.
Macnw is David Glass's favorite kind of fan.

He loves the ones the most that just smile and eat the shit sandwich and happily keep coming back for more with their pocketbooks wide open year after year after year.

Here's the hilarious part, next year this team, minus Santana, is going to billed as a playoff contender. And the same people will drink the cool aid, and gullibly buy the nonsense, and still purchase tickets, and still line Glass's pockets with their money while he sits down in Arkansas on another 10 million profit, and still accept the inevitable mediocrity, still defend it against the critics, and the perpetual cycle of losing with this organization will repeat itself.

That's our Royals! 28 years and counting without a playoff appearance.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

DiggityDawg wrote:

Sorry, but it is.
Sorry, but it isn't.

This is really the crux of where some of you guys go overboard from "disappointed"/"disillusioned" into "delusional". Blaming the fanbase for the failure of a baseball team -- especially this organization -- is quite obviously and demonstrably wrong. The patient, make-the-best-of-it attitude of the Royals fanbase does not "allow" much less cause or even really effect the performance of the Royals. Glass would run this team exactly the same way regardless of ticket sales or merchandizing revenue as long as the bottom line shows a profit.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

chingon wrote:
DiggityDawg wrote:

Sorry, but it is.
Sorry, but it isn't.

This is really the crux of where some of you guys go overboard from "disappointed"/"disillusioned" into "delusional". Blaming the fanbase for the failure of a baseball team -- especially this organization -- is quite obviously and demonstrably wrong. The patient, make-the-best-of-it attitude of the Royals fanbase does not "allow" much less cause or even really effect the performance of the Royals. Glass would run this team exactly the same way regardless of ticket sales or merchandizing revenue as long as the bottom line shows a profit.
I do agree that the fanbase has little to do with whether or not the team is winning, but I also think you're overlooking the logic behind those comments: the bottom line shows a profit because people keep watching the team no matter how poorly it fares, incentivizing Glass and the front office to continue running the team as they do. If there were no profits coming in Glass would at least need to start doing things differently, or at most even sell the team to someone else. Some of that profit comes from revenue sharing and will be there "regardless of ticket sales or merchandizing revenue," but much of it comes from...ticket sales and merchandizing revenue.

My issue with that, and the reason I ultimately agree with you, is that if we start drawing Montreal-level sub-10,000 average crowds we're just going to make it that much harder to ever turn things around. I don't like that Glass makes a profit on a subpar product (on the other hand that's basically how he made his entire fortune), but we're at least better off now than we would be if the whole city turned its back on this franchise. We all fantasize about Glass selling the team to a good owner but the fact is nobody is going to swoop in to buy a Royals team averaging 8000 fans a night and subsidize it out of their own pockets to build a winner. Bad ownership and bad management are what have allowed a quarter century of losing; forgiving fans are what have kept this team from going full-blown Expos.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

So is it bad that I want Wil Myers to hit 4 HR today, but for the Rays to lose 5-4?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

If the royals win today, they will be 18-13 vs the AL east which would be the best record vs AL East teams
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

They've actually held their own against good teams this year.

They're just 30-26 against teams with a losing record though - and you really need to beat up on those teams. Take out the Twins (12-4), and the Royals are just 18-22 against losing teams.