wtf is happening to w. 39th?!

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
Repete
Pad site
Pad site

Re: wtf is happening to w. 39th?!

Post by Repete »

Repete wrote:
Repete wrote:ml
Repete wrote:here's a prime example I've been open over a year and collect "their" sales tax asked a few times to be listed on their site as of today no listing. here's the link
http://www.39thstreetwestkc.com/restaurants.html
the little Mexican restaurant that was next to high dive had to fight to get a liquor licence and when they got it people complained on yelp because she closed at 8 pm said it was crazy for any restaurant to close at that time on 39th, she drove back and forth from st.joe every day. All she wanted to do was to be able to sale beer with lunch.
Latin Bistro closed because people bitch it cost more than chipotle so much for supporting local.
I can't have a violinist play in my restaurant or have a speaker on my patio for alfresco dinning to kill the road noise. I have to close at 12 am where Missy b is open til 3am and they take over the parking that cost me 400 a month. Look at their facebook they pick and choose what to promote. When my lease is up it's gone I'll sell the place to a Latino smoke shop when I leave or a hookah joint. I don't have enough invested into this community to give a shit less about it like they do with some business in the area.
Look for peanches, latin bistro and the other restaurant that closed....they only update when they feel like promoting
a place
Sosa's has been open what 7 months and they are listed.....go
figure TOGO was one of the partners in latin bistro they have them posted and wouldn't post latin Bistro but yet TOGO is posted on their webpage, what a joke.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Repete wrote:here's a prime example I've been open over a year and collect "their" sales tax asked a few times to be listed on their site as of today no listing. here's the link
http://www.39thstreetwestkc.com/restaurants.html
the little Mexican restaurant that was next to high dive had to fight to get a liquor licence and when they got it people complained on yelp because she closed at 8 pm said it was crazy for any restaurant to close at that time on 39th, she drove back and forth from st.joe every day. All she wanted to do was to be able to sale beer with lunch.
Latin Bistro closed because people bitch it cost more than chipotle so much for supporting local.
I can't have a violinist play in my restaurant or have a speaker on my patio for alfresco dinning to kill the road noise. I have to close at 12 am where Missy b is open til 3am and they take over the parking that cost me 400 a month. Look at their facebook they pick and choose what to promote. When my lease is up it's gone I'll sell the place to a Latino smoke shop when I leave or a hookah joint. I don't have enough invested into this community to give a shit less about it like they do with some business in the area.
FWIW Latin Bistro closed because it sucked. I'm no fan of Chipotle, but I would rather go to Chipotle than eat the slop I had at Latin Bistro. AND I had the same experience twice.

As I've stated before, I live in the neighborhood and am not a fan of the Volker Neighborhood Association. But where does a businessman like Repete go to express their dismay and explain that the limitations placed on businesses is preventing investment in the neighborhood? Back to the neighborhood association? While I think some older residents DO have a say in what's allowed, I'm willing to bet that the majority just are unaware, as I was until reading Repete's comments on here.
Repete
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Repete »

Maybe the next set of business that come in to the area can figure it out, I'm done with it. For what the area commands in rent it's not worth it. There are way too many areas in the burbs that are better suited for business. I was told by a few business owners before I opened in the area how the area was. I should have listened. I used to talk to the lady that owned the other Mexican restaurant and she expressed a very strong sense of racism from the neighborhood towards her place.I heard the same from her server that came from California. Right when I opened, one of the landlords from the west end came down and we talked a bit he is the biggest bigot I had ever met. He told me he had a place that he rented to an asian lady, and his words where" I didn't want to rent to the gook, but I couldn't resist after I seen her ass" . then he spent half of an hour slamming jews, and blacks. He owns a few business proprieties in the area.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Repete wrote:There are way too many areas in the burbs that are better suited for business.
That's depressing, but I'm not surprised.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

What I don't fully understand is how places like Hi-Dive are able to open and thrive in this environment.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

smh wrote:What I don't fully understand is how places like Hi-Dive are able to open and thrive in this environment.
There was/is a strong need for a bar like this. But to say they are thriving may be misleading. I have no idea how they are doing, I have seen it both busy and dead, but there are a lot of elements that figure into the success or failure of a restaurant/bar and they are certainly rarely obvious by casual observation. They have only been open a short while.
I lived ON 39th across from that bar, when it was Minsky's, for 11 years. I witnessed racism, bigotry and general stupidity from many of the business owners. Some should be in jail, some should be publicly tortured. One thing I've learned, though, is that these problems are everywhere. You can move away from an asshole neighbor; but, chances are, there will be another one just as bad or worse wherever you go.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

smh wrote:What I don't fully understand is how places like Hi-Dive are able to open and thrive in this environment.
There was/is a strong need for a bar like this. But to say they are thriving may be misleading. I have no idea how they are doing, I have seen it both busy and dead, but there are a lot of elements that figure into the success or failure of a restaurant/bar and they are certainly rarely obvious by casual observation. They have only been open a short while.
I lived ON 39th across from that bar, when it was Minsky's, for 11 years. I witnessed racism, bigotry and general stupidity from many of the business owners. Some should be in jail, some should be publicly tortured. One thing I've learned, though, is that these problems are everywhere. You can move away from an asshole neighbor; but, chances are, there will be another one just as bad or worse wherever you go.
Repete
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Repete »

He is a typical review I get from the hood. Last night she dinned we had 4 people at the bar and 3 other tables at the time. Her total tab for two people was 24 dollars. We added small plates for walk-ins that wanted to order just a few dishes off of the prix fixed our most expensive small plate is the half rack of lamb it weighs 10 oz and cost $18 she ordered the pork and he ordered the steak.
http://www.yelp.com/user_details?userid ... XSKv9CdDuQ
here was our prix fix from last night:
Prix fixed $34 wine pairing $20
(Supplemental addition $5 wine pairing $3)
Missoura style crab cake & caper remoulade
Montelle dry Vingnoles, missoura 2011
(Supplemental addition $4 wine pairing $3)
Naked black mussels, dijon & cream
Costal vines chardonnay, cali. 2011
(Supplemental addition $4 wine pairing $3)
Spinach & beet salad with walnut pesto & bleu cheese 8
Coastal vines pinot grigio, cali. 2011
1st
Roasted salmon, polenta & dijon~dill nage
Clefs des Legats, Cotes du Rhone, fr. 2010
2nd
Tender of pork, roasted sweet potato puree & apple gastric*
Pavilion crossing lodi cabernet 2010
(Supplemental addition $9 wine pairing $3)
Lamb, rib, sweetbreads with whole black lentils & braised lamb tongue
Coastal vines pinot noir, cali. 2011
3rd
Hanger steak, potato puree & mushroom ragout
Chateau de Bon Ami Bordeaux, fr. 2009
4th
Chocolate coffee torte
Crown valley “old ruby port” missoura
Ms. Popple writes for UMKC where she is a student at and lives in the Roanoke area
keep in mind my bartender is my sister
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I wouldn't worry too much about that review. It is written like shit. Anyone thinking of coming to your restaurant will likely disregard it as a nonsense review.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Repete, I'm a frequent user of Yelp. It's a great tool and whether in KC or traveling, it has led me to some awesome experiences.

Now, having looked at a lot of reviews, what do I internalize about what she wrote?

First, not someone I want to know. Pretty petty stuff and either she is very narrow and immature, or she's got a purpose in her negative review (she's got 4 reviews under her belt, so she hasn't earned any respect there as yet, either).

Yah, the ending of the rant, pimping Affare' was to me an indicator that she had alterior motives. Especially given the fact that she has not provided a review of them.

...And yeah, the use of a borrowed photo of a model does not add much credibility to her opinions either.

Gotta let some stuff just roll off of you, as it is simply so out of line that it's not worth your efforts to deal with.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Kind of weird. You think people writing Yelp reviews would read some before going some place. At least to know what to expect.

... also kind of hard to dismiss that review when half of the ones for the restaurant are one star.
Repete
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Repete »

Yelp reviews don't bother me, I've been attacked in other restaurant's reviews on 39th street where they are writing a review for another restaurant and tag us in it. This person also lives off of 39th. Just saying if the hood doesn't want you here they find ways. When we first opened I had a sunday liquor permitted and word got out I was thinking about doing brunch and in one facebook page they were voting on whether they wanted brunch at peanches or not.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Repete wrote: I should have listened. I used to talk to the lady that owned the other Mexican restaurant and she expressed a very strong sense of racism from the neighborhood towards her place.I heard the same from her server that came from California.
That place had some other problems. I and my Mexican-American husband were really excited when it first opened. We ate there once right after they opened. The service was eccentric, but the food was good. We went back a month or so later. We walked in, nobody was around. We sat ourselves. There were a couple of other tables. After waiting for about 10 or 15 minutes to get someone to even acknowledge us, we left and went down to the Blvd.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Interesting to read that Yelp review, we had the same menu a week or two prior and it's always fascinating to get another take on a similar experience and see where it overlaps.

As I think Peanches said on Twitter shortly before or after the visit, "we're a podunk kind of place." I wouldn't have characterized it that way, but it absolutely offers first-rate cooking and a relatively expensive night out in a setting that doesn't quite match the usual expectations of that type of place. And to clarify, I think the food quality-to-price ratio is outstanding, but it was $100+ dinner for two, we each got the four-course taster, probably three drinks between us, and coffee.

I thought this comment was hilarious-- "seductive & creepy night club music hussies like to grind on to strangers with" --and unfortunately, pretty on-point. Music is a matter of taste, for sure, but it did lend a bit of a weird vibe. Service was very friendly, however, and I appreciate the "family business" aspect. But I get why someone might want a bit more polish at that price point; and I get why you want a homey, "podunk kind of place" that serves outstanding food. Different strokes.

The food--you'll notice that review was almost entirely on atmosphere and very little on food. Shows a person's priorities. I thought each of the four dishes was fantastic. I like my pork with a little pink. The hangar steak was wonderful. Dessert was great, and all the sides....just fantastically prepared food.

I would offer, though, that I'd prefer a bit more variety in a prix fixe. Each of the first three courses had a meat (salmon, pork, beef) atop a puree of some kind, with a vegetable/bean/greens type garnish, sort of like three entrees. Again, each of them was terrific, but a) it was just a lot of food and b) I would have enjoyed a soup or a salad or some other different course expression to make the meal feel more balanced.

I hope this is helpful, Repete, just trying to lend some perspective. Very glad I finally had a chance to try your cooking.
Repete
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Repete »

AJoD wrote:Interesting to read that Yelp review, we had the same menu a week or two prior and it's always fascinating to get another take on a similar experience and see where it overlaps.

As I think Peanches said on Twitter shortly before or after the visit, "we're a podunk kind of place." I wouldn't have characterized it that way, but it absolutely offers first-rate cooking and a relatively expensive night out in a setting that doesn't quite match the usual expectations of that type of place. And to clarify, I think the food quality-to-price ratio is outstanding, but it was $100+ dinner for two, we each got the four-course taster, probably three drinks between us, and coffee.

I thought this comment was hilarious-- "seductive & creepy night club music hussies like to grind on to strangers with" --and unfortunately, pretty on-point. Music is a matter of taste, for sure, but it did lend a bit of a weird vibe. Service was very friendly, however, and I appreciate the "family business" aspect. But I get why someone might want a bit more polish at that price point; and I get why you want a homey, "podunk kind of place" that serves outstanding food. Different strokes.

The food--you'll notice that review was almost entirely on atmosphere and very little on food. Shows a person's priorities. I thought each of the four dishes was fantastic. I like my pork with a little pink. The hangar steak was wonderful. Dessert was great, and all the sides....just fantastically prepared food.

I would offer, though, that I'd prefer a bit more variety in a prix fixe. Each of the first three courses had a meat (salmon, pork, beef) atop a puree of some kind, with a vegetable/bean/greens type garnish, sort of like three entrees. Again, each of them was terrific, but a) it was just a lot of food and b) I would have enjoyed a soup or a salad or some other different course expression to make the meal feel more balanced.

I hope this is helpful, Repete, just trying to lend some perspective. Very glad I finally had a chance to try your cooking.
Thanks, I appreciate your input. We have a long ways to go and someday maybe we will get it right.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Repete wrote:Thanks, I appreciate your input. We have a long ways to go and someday maybe we will get it right.
Absolutely, I enjoyed the meal. There was a lot right.
Repete
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Repete »

Latin bistro and togo both closed but here is a fun place that opened yesterday.
https://www.facebook.com/W39beignet
W39th beignet
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

^I just saw that today. Wonder if they will still operate the one in the City Market
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I thought the one in city market was by the Nica's people. All 3?
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

same style artwork. Has to be the same people.