On-going downtown development projects

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCthomas
DNA
DNA

Re: On-going downtown development projects

Post by KCthomas »

Hello everyone. This is Thomas, with the Downtown Neighborhood Association. This topic seems like the right spot to alert everyone to an event that may interest you. The Downtown Neighborhood Association and Downtown Council are hosting a conversation about downtown housing development this Wednesday, 6:30 pm at the Central Library.

You will have an opportunity to see brief presentations and ask questions of development representatives in person for a variety of downtown projects including:

- River Market West (between 3rd and 4th St west of Populous)
- Folgers Lofts (8th & Broadway)
- Lucas Place Lofts (8th & May)
- Sunflower Development Group (Residential projects & Cosby Hotel update)
- And maybe more!

Representatives of the Downtown Council will present their hot-off-the-presses 2013 Housing Report, as well as information on the City's ongoing efforts to incent new residential housing downtown. Also, I have reached out to Cordish, who have offered to provide the latest updates and renderings for the new Cordish residential projects. I haven't seen them yet, but I'm optimistic we will have something for Wednesday.

Finally, there will be an opportunity to participate in a panel discussion about the state of downtown housing development, where we are headed, and what needs to happen to get there.

If you are interested in downtown development, this should be a great opportunity to learn more.

DNA February Meeting: Downtown Residential Development Discussion
Wednesday, Feb. 27 at 6:30pm
Join us on Facebook
Central Library: Vault Level
14 West 10th Street, KCMO 64105
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

very informative! thanks for organizing this.

good to know that ALL of these developments are going forward inside the streetcar TDD. in other words, the sky has not fallen and there will be more housing to meet demand.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Any interesting nuggets of info from the meeting you care to share?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the residential is all market rate and pushing $1.50 psf. the cordish tower is 23 stories (i keep thinking it's shorter) and a new rendering appears to have a few commercial floors, including street-level retail. two of the residential projects start leasing this year, which will really help relieve the pressure.

the cosby will have a french bakery on the ground floor, in addition to milwaukee deli.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Do you have a link to new rendering of Cordish tower?
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

I'm actually pretty impressed with this.

Retail podium

Deck garden

Res tower w/ ample balconies

Interesting roof-line

Would be better taller!
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

"The new Cordish tower is one of four in the original plans for the Power & Light District. Benjamin said high demand for the first building could bring work on the others, planned along Truman Road. In all, the company could offer 1,000 units in Downtown.

The first tower is incorporated into the existing Power & Light District. Its fourth-floor green space will connect to The Jones pool and its bar. The building will be next to Cosentino’s Market Downtown — the area’s only grocery store — and the district’s KC Live! section."

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/p ... l?page=all

I hope people snap these up! Would be awesome to get those parking lots on Truman developed too!

Sounds like it will have a great roof deck. I wonder if that park with the train-car art-installation will become more open after this.
Zorobabel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Zorobabel »

Looking good. I wouldn't mind another 5 stories, but it would be a great addition to downtown.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

^ I agree that I wish it was taller. For comparison though H&R Block's HQ is 17 floors compared to this building @ 23... not sure how the residential compares to the commercial though.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Whats the tipping point before you need a second set of elevators to serve the higher floors?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Seems like getting a new residential skyscraper in DT KC should be exiting enough to quell the inevitable "should be taller" or "design sucks" kcragging, but alas...guess not. Especially if the developer is already floating "would like to build more of these" feelers. I mean, Jesus, 23 stories isn't tall enough in a city where 99% of multifamily residential tops out at 3 stories? Too much dick measuring in that for my blood.

Sometimes it feels like if you subbed the words "should be taller" for "where will everyone park" there's not a lot of difference between the timber of this board and the Star comments section.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

chingon wrote:Seems like getting a new residential skyscraper in DT KC should be exiting enough to quell the inevitable "should be taller" or "design sucks" kcragging, but alas...guess not. Especially if the developer is already floating "would like to build more of these" feelers. I mean, Jesus, 23 stories isn't tall enough in a city where 99% of multifamily residential tops out at 3 stories? Too much dick measuring in that for my blood.

Sometimes it feels like if you subbed the words "should be taller" for "where will everyone park" there's not a lot of difference between the timber of this board and the Star comments section.
=D>
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

chingon wrote:Seems like getting a new residential skyscraper in DT KC should be exiting enough to quell the inevitable "should be taller" or "design sucks" kcragging, but alas...guess not. Especially if the developer is already floating "would like to build more of these" feelers. I mean, Jesus, 23 stories isn't tall enough in a city where 99% of multifamily residential tops out at 3 stories? Too much dick measuring in that for my blood.

I agree.

23 floors is a good height. I want density but I don't want New York/Tokyo type density.
Zorobabel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Zorobabel »

As I said, I think it will be a great addition to downtown. But to address your issue -- and I can only speak for myself -- the reason I believe it should be ~5 stories taller is not for dick measuring purposes. I said that because, based on the renders and dimensions of the spot, the building looks a little squat to me. That's just my opinion of it aesthetically. It was not meant to be an abrasive comment but merely a mild critique.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

One has to keep in mind logistical limitations of the site and building. Every additional floor, retail space, and residential unit added increases the need to provide parking in the adjoining garage. The number of units there are is probably limited by available parking that exists now. Taller buildings require more parking. I'm assuming the number of apartments they designed for that site was completely dependent on parking spaces they control in the garage dedicated for that purpose.

One of the things I pointed out when P&L was built was that they didn't put any additional underground parking under the retail buildings south of 14th Street (facing Truman Road) utiliizing all the below grade space on the entire blocks. The footprints of the two planned apartment towers there only cover half the blocks. That will dictate how many apartments and floors those planned buildings can have. I think the retail buildings (like Bristol) south of 14th Street were built mostly on concrete pads.

The planned apartment tower that will wrap around the Mainstreet Theater could theoretically be taller. This is assuming that the convention hotel plan and location will be decided, and the block SW of 14th and Baltimore (south of the Power and Light Building) is available to build additional parking in a garage. Also dependent on if Cordish gets control of the site.

I also think of all the planned residential towers, the one on the NW corner of 13th and Walnut has the smallest footprint. The fact they are putting a 23-story building on that narrow lot is actually surprising. I figured it would be 10-stories tops.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

If Kansas City never erects another building over six stories, I would be pleased, though egos, land costs and the desire to "own" a coveted view will surely prevail.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:

=D>
Agreed. This used to be a pretty good place to get info, but it's turned into an insular place where design nerds race to see who can shit all over new developments first.
carnellmanning74
Can't Start New Threads
Can't Start New Threads

Post by carnellmanning74 »

i want to see another skyscraper to the kansas city skyline besides the new convention center hotel or the apartments behind constinoes market anyone know of any progects in the works
carnellmanning74
Can't Start New Threads
Can't Start New Threads

Post by carnellmanning74 »

just wondering if kansas city is going to get anymore skyscrapers downtown anytime does anyone know of any in discussions or plans in the works
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think we should add the Globe Building renovation to the list.
In another matter, the PIEA also approved a 20-year property tax abatement to help redevelop the historic Globe Building at 1712 Main St. into an office development. Developer John Williams plans to invest $6.8 million in renovating the seven-story building that opened in 1902.

Most of the building has been vacant for more than 10 years, it’s last tenant being Retro Inferno, an antique business that occupied the lower floor. Williams plans to reuse the building for commercial office lofts geared toward creative, tech-oriented small companies.

Work is expected to begin next month and the project completed by next spring. The abatement is 100 percent for the first 10 years and 50 percent for the remaining 10 years.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/08/13/44 ... rylink=cpy