beer.

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: beer.

Post by KC Sporting Life »

grovester wrote:
smh wrote:I don't really get this move. And I certainly don't get the new label. It looks so fat and Microsoft Publisher-y.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/04/26/42 ... nning.html
Graphics aside, it's nice to have the "KC" so prominent.

beat me to it bobbyhawk!

I'm fairly certain the move to the same bottles as Pale and Wheat has more to do with the production line and efficiency than anything else. It's my understanding that every time they needed to fill a run of Pilsner, they had to re-tool the bottling line to fit the taller, thinner bottles, slowing down production. As for the design of the label, sounds like they just wanted it to be more consistent with the Boulevard brand. The Muehlbach Beer reference in the previous design went largely unnoticed. Also, I love seeing the "KC" big and bold.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

KC Sporting Life wrote:
grovester wrote:
smh wrote:I don't really get this move. And I certainly don't get the new label. It looks so fat and Microsoft Publisher-y.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/04/26/42 ... nning.html
Graphics aside, it's nice to have the "KC" so prominent.

beat me to it bobbyhawk!

I'm fairly certain the move to the same bottles as Pale and Wheat has more to do with the production line and efficiency than anything else. It's my understanding that every time they needed to fill a run of Pilsner, they had to re-tool the bottling line to fit the taller, thinner bottles, slowing down production. As for the design of the label, sounds like they just wanted it to be more consistent with the Boulevard brand. The Muehlbach Beer reference in the previous design went largely unnoticed. Also, I love seeing the "KC" big and bold.
Correct.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Blvd Brewery is planning to have a "garage sale" june 1st 10-4. I don't know what all will be there, but taps, used barrels, clothing, paraphernalia, and other odds and ends have been said to be in the mix. I'm betting there will be at least a few cool things to find.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

kboish wrote:Blvd Brewery is planning to have a "garage sale" june 1st 10-4. I don't know what all will be there, but taps, used barrels, clothing, paraphernalia, and other odds and ends have been said to be in the mix. I'm betting there will be at least a few cool things to find.
Be aware that the Hospital Hill Run is finishing about 6 blocks east at around the same time. Traffic might be churlish.

I made a Saison-Brett run tonight. Does anyone know if Berbiglia is going out of business? The Union Hill, SW Trafficway, and Westport Road stores are all - optimistically - 1/4 stocked. Employees say they have no idea what's going on.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

Mint Julep still on tap at The Majestic in case you haven't tried it or want more. Perfect beer weather this weekend!
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

kboish wrote:Blvd Brewery is planning to have a "garage sale" june 1st 10-4. I don't know what all will be there, but taps, used barrels, clothing, paraphernalia, and other odds and ends have been said to be in the mix. I'm betting there will be at least a few cool things to find.
This thing was bonkers, 3 hour waits to get in.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Wednesday on channel 19 at 10:00pm "Tapping Kansas City - The History of Beer"

Believe the program was made about 10 years ago.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

This thing was bonkers, 3 hour waits to get in.[/quote]

I got there at 10:00 and the line was huge, around the loading dock and back down the street. It was 4 wide it seemed. My wife said she would buy me whatever I wanted full price, so we left. A friend went over at 2:00 and he said nothing was left, even the tables were being put away.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

We went back about 2:30 and there was sign up that said "Sold Out". It had been scheduled to go until 4.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

pash wrote:Tried Boulevard's Saison-Brett for the first time the other day. It's my favorite of their brews so far, maybe after the Rye on Rye.
As of last night there were still a few bottles left at Berbiglia in Union Hill.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

pash wrote:Tried Boulevard's Saison-Brett for the first time the other day. It's my favorite of their brews so far, maybe after the Rye on Rye.
I'm deprived. :(
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

http://www.pitch.com/FastPitch/archives ... sday-night
Chef Celina Tio can't stop trying her hand at new recipes. Her latest just happens to be a beer. The owner of Julian (6227 Brookside Plaza) and the recently opened Collection (which Charles Ferruzza reviewed in this week's Pitch), is tapping Julian NBB Love, the second sour beer that she personally blended at the New Belgium Brewery, Tuesday night.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

http://www.pitch.com/FastPitch/archives ... ty-council

Glad to see a the council supporting a small business measure that is sure to allow a few entrepreneurs to take a stab at starting a microbrewery.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Boulevard session pale ale headed to a store near you. Pretty excited (although I wish they were bringing back Tenpenny).

http://www.pitch.com/FastPitch/archives ... lves-today
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WyCo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by WyCo »

If you haven't tried Big Rip, you really should soon. Good beer and nice people.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I don't think I've ever heard of a brewery doing something like this before, making a beer for a specific out-of-town market. ... Does Santa Fe Brewing make good stuff? An imperial smoked rye porter sounds fucking tasty. ...
What a strange and interesting bit of news. Not sure of the precedent here re: specific brews for an out-of-town market, even amongst micro/craft breweries?

FWIW, I really enjoy Santa Fe's Imperial Java Stout. Thus, I imagine the rye porter could be delicious, though not sure how "kansas city" it will be, whatever that means.