Why is there ANY discussion of a new football stadium?

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

no no no no no no

No reason to abandon the TSC for the West Bottoms, period.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Do we have to post this in ten threads Devin?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

football stadium in west bottoms

Post by moderne »

For a people mover from the downtown loop/bus rapid transit could be a modern version of the 9th St. incline, including reopening the tunnel. This was used to move quite a lot of people from/to the train depot prior to the building of Union Station.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Last edited by Deleted User on Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Michael® wrote:Who in thier right mind could possibly think putting anything in the West Bottoms could help downtown? Leave Arrowhead where it is, we have a million other things to fix that are critical to downtown.
I agree with this. As far as helping downtown, Kemper Arena may as well have been on Mars. Why would we want to make that mistake all over again ... this time with even higher stakes?
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

The West Bottoms is not helpless, it just needs a BIG push...or should I say... shove...
thedream
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by thedream »

Listen up!This is way there these discussions of a new football stadium. It may no longer be up to the public because Lamar Hunt has said he wants it and he may not settle for less plus if anyone can find investers its him.

And in response to residential development in the bottoms.
NOT HAPPENING!! Kemper was to be spark that started redevelopment down there. Guess what did not happen. Plus have you ever walked around down there it is like being in a hole.

The Bottoms would be logical for football because it is a perfect canidate for a parking lot hell it aready has alot. Plua all the BBQ cookoffs for the royal and through out the year are in kemper parking lots. Uh think merge stockyard with tailgateing sounds right to me.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Yes, bolding your statement makes it look far more important.

If Hunt wants to go build a new stadium with all private money than he can build it whever the hell he wants for all I care. But considering the fact that he gave $50 million and expected the taxpayers to pay about $180 million for renovations, I somehow doubt that that will happen.

And the west bottoms had some potential but it is a few decadeds away for reaching it. It's potential is in arts and that sort of thing though and not in any type of developement an arena or stadium would have. Why build the stadium there with all of the surface lots when you are all but admitting that it won't have any economic impact on the area or downtown? It would be cheaper to leave it at the TSC where the infrastructure is already there instead of having to upgrade the West Bottoms area to support a stadium and 80,000 people moving in and out.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCDevin wrote:Where do you think the people will go after the game? Sure some will go home but i betcha half of the local fans will go downtown and all the visitors will go downtown...
The people have to go home or hotel rooms to recoup. Most are too drunk and/or full of food to do anything else. The rest are too tired to party.
:lol:

Besides infrastructure improvements would cost more than the stadium.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

No Arrowhead downtown.

It does need to be significantly repaired or replaced eventually though. Bathrooms suck, and the concourses are entirely too narrow.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

There is absolutely no reason to build a new stadium that will be used 10-15 times a year.

Super Bowl? Even if we got one, it would be once. A one time benefit. Yippee!

And I see no reason why the Chiefs couldn't sell the naming rights to the FIELD at Arrowhead Stadium. Like "Applebee's Field at Arrowhead Stadium."
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag