Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

Post by KCtonic »

flyingember wrote:Google just leased access to 12 strands of fiber in the Linkcity network for 20 years

http://nkc.municipalcms.com/docview.aspx?docid=19771
start on page 80 for the explanation.
there's a map on page 111, page 109 explains it

this shows they're moving forward with the northland. this would save Google a TON of time in expanding the network northward

NKC claims they'll finally profit from the network with this lease.
More on the North Kansas City (the town, not KC, MO North) lease http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... -with.html
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCtonic wrote:
flyingember wrote:Google just leased access to 12 strands of fiber in the Linkcity network for 20 years

http://nkc.municipalcms.com/docview.aspx?docid=19771
start on page 80 for the explanation.
there's a map on page 111, page 109 explains it

this shows they're moving forward with the northland. this would save Google a TON of time in expanding the network northward

NKC claims they'll finally profit from the network with this lease.
More on the North Kansas City (the town, not KC, MO North) lease http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... -with.html
no offense, but how can there be more than reading the actual agreement documents?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Context, background, reaction....
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

flyingember wrote:no offense, but how can there be more than reading the actual agreement documents?
none taken...

Lets just say some prefer the summary - plus the article does add some commentary such as why NKC did this etc. That being said, feel free to ignore the news article if you wish
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

A representative of our building management told my wife this morning that meeting the 70% signup goal by the Friday deadline is looking iffy. This second hoop for buildings with multiple units is very frustrating. We heard nary a peep during the initial signup about having to meet a second quota to get the building wired.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Eon Blue wrote:A representative of our building management told my wife this morning that meeting the 70% signup goal by the Friday deadline is looking iffy. This second hoop for buildings with multiple units is very frustrating. We heard nary a peep during the initial signup about having to meet a second quota to get the building wired.

I still haven't heard a peep. What is this you're sharing?
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

loftguy wrote:
Eon Blue wrote:A representative of our building management told my wife this morning that meeting the 70% signup goal by the Friday deadline is looking iffy. This second hoop for buildings with multiple units is very frustrating. We heard nary a peep during the initial signup about having to meet a second quota to get the building wired.

I still haven't heard a peep. What is this you're sharing?
Our building management has been working with Google to coordinate the installation in our building, similar to another poster in this thread. Google told them that 70% of units would have to be preregistered or else they would not wire the building. Our deadline is this Friday, April 19. That's basically all I know.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Man, this is diluting KC's exclusivity quickly. It will be interesting to see timetable of rollout. Olathe and N/S KCMO's may not see Gfiber before Austin - what about Provo? Given Provo is essentially a buyout of existing network, they could get it before most of KC area.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

earthling wrote:Man, this is diluting KC's exclusivity quickly. It will be interesting to see timetable of rollout. Olathe and N/S KCMO's may not see Gfiber before Austin - what about Provo? Given Provo is essentially a buyout of existing network, they could get it before most of KC area.
So could North Kansas City I guess since its a similar situation.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCtonic wrote:
earthling wrote:Man, this is diluting KC's exclusivity quickly. It will be interesting to see timetable of rollout. Olathe and N/S KCMO's may not see Gfiber before Austin - what about Provo? Given Provo is essentially a buyout of existing network, they could get it before most of KC area.
So could North Kansas City I guess since its a similar situation.
no, no it's not similar

per the documents I linked they're buying dark fiber from downtown KC to the far side of NKC and that's it.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I had hoped it wouldn't come so quickly, but I guess if Google truly is exploring Fiber as a business opportunity, we should have seen it coming. Due to the amount of time it takes to get these things rolling and the cash that Google has on hand, they could announce dozens of communities in the next year. Their install capability and experience is growing exponentially, as is their ability to negotiate with municipalities. Even if Google is using this as a bluff to force other ISPs to fall in line, they have to show they are a threat to expand if that doesn't happen.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

I've always worried that at the end of 7 years, Google would just pull the plug on the whole thing. Expanding to other cities sucks for KC, but I think it also makes them ending the program less likely.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Google is so nice to do this for us! I can't believe how kind they are.
Interesting article in Harper's about it by local intellectuals Whitney and Shannon. I don't have a link at present, but will look for one.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

chaglang wrote:I've always worried that at the end of 7 years, Google would just pull the plug on the whole thing. Expanding to other cities sucks for KC, but I think it also makes them ending the program less likely.
I thought there was something in the agreement allowing the city to take over.

Would be good to confirm
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

taxi wrote:Google is so nice to do this for us! I can't believe how kind they are.
Interesting article in Harper's about it by local intellectuals Whitney and Shannon. I don't have a link at present, but will look for one.
Here's the link if you can get a login...anyone still use bugmenot?

Here's a companion piece that is free.

There have also been a couple of radio treatments with Terrell and Cindy Circo, one on KCUR and another out of DC.

I haven't heard the latter, but on KCUR, they seemed to be talking past each other a bit. Insofar as Terrell questions whether having a private provider own critical next gen infrastructure for the whole country, well, that's a valid topic of inquiry. But it's certainly a viable experimental model, and has allowed at least one city (and now several more) access to infrastructure that otherwise wouldn't have been built for years.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

AJoD wrote:Insofar as Terrell questions whether having a private provider own critical next gen infrastructure for the whole country, well, that's a valid topic of inquiry. But it's certainly a viable experimental model, and has allowed at least one city (and now several more) access to infrastructure that otherwise wouldn't have been built for years.
If we are being honest, the reason why it is infrastructure that "otherwise wouldn't have been built for years" is because our federal government has no appetite for spending money on our own critical infrastructure or investing in our technological and educational future. If being an ISP didn't require so much startup capital and existing infrastructure investment, the market could better drive what Google, one of the most powerful companies in the world, is wading through right now in baby-step fashion. If big companies like Google don't decide to get into the market to offer ISP competition, there is really very little incenting people like AT&T, Comcast, or TWC to compete with the rest of the world. The rest of the world is not offering a competing service in the neighborhoods that those companies already "own."
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

Google Fiber gets an iPad app to go along with it's Android App!

http://googlefiberblog.blogspot.com/201 ... -here.html
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

http://www.eweek.com/networking/google- ... es-online/
Interested business owners are being invited by Google Fiber to register for one of two free in-person local seminars being held at 9 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. April 25 at Sporting Park, 1 Sporting Way, in Kansas City, Kan., according to the company. Companies can register to attend the sessions via Google's "Kansas Get Your Business Online" Website, wrote Hack.

"At the event, Intuit will provide local businesses with a free website, and a team of Google experts will help participants build and design their sites," she wrote. "Businesses will also receive a customized domain name, free web hosting for one year, a local business listing on Google Maps and free tools, training and resources. Google experts will be on hand to train the business owners on how to reach more customers online in both English and Spanish."
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

If anyone cares, my building will be getting Fiber after all. Apparently Google lets you try for the 70% option, and if you don't hit that you can fall back on the full-building install option.