Chains not opening first stores in JoCo?

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

KC wrote:wow, they know less than Best Buy employees? They must be bad.
I've always had good luck with BB employees as far as product knowledge.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

dangerboy wrote:Some chains like 54th Street Grill & Bar or El Maguey are even able run profitable businesses without ANY Joco locations. :o
The El Maguey on Business Loop 70 in Columbia is still the best one in the chain. It's definitely not the classiest one, but the food is better.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I like El Maguey, but there's some weird shit going on. Am I the only person who has noticed that there are "El Maguey Clones" all around the country? Places that serve nearly identical food, and have virtually identical menus, but are called things like "El Cerro Grande" (there's one of these on Choteau in NKC, for example).

The chips and sauce are the same, the menus have the same items with the same names, they are laid out similarly but with different art...they list all their locations on the front of the menu, just like El Maguey. Even the combinations have the same numbers: #11? One taco, one burrito, one enchilada.

If it were just the clone in NKC, it'd be weird enough. But I have been to identical (but differently named) places in Atlanta and Jacksonville, Florida, too. Nutty. Someone please tell me I'm not the only person who has noticed this.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

You are the only one who has noticed this, psycho.

I agree with TheDude on Bestbuy/Circuit City/Fry's/Compusa/et al. They're just big box stores, indicative of sprawl. But, I'm against coffee shops selling plasma screens. That just isn't fair.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

bahua wrote:You are the only one who has noticed this, psycho.

I agree with TheDude on Bestbuy/Circuit City/Fry's/Compusa/et al. They're just big box stores, indicative of sprawl. But, I'm against coffee shops selling plasma screens. That just isn't fair.
Just curious but how would one ever be able to compare stuff if they couldn't go to a Big Box?

I like to try out my stuff or listen to speakers, etc. A small business wouldn't be able to offer the selection nor the demonstration, would they?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Every person is talking about something different :D My head is spinning
TheDude
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by TheDude »

coffee girls is not selling electronics; my point simply was who cares about big electronic chains when the dialogue should be on small businesses willing to take a risk in today's franchised corporate economy.
"ALWAYS be closing"
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I agree, UE is a large Brandsmart. Is there room for all these stores?

54th Bar and Grill and is good place. I remember eating at the one in Gladstone when I lived up there. Was that the first one in town, are these in KC only? I know they are now all over the MO suburbs and like a said, for a chain place, it's a pretty good place.
kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kcmajik »

i believe there is a 54th in st. joe, correct me if im wrong?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Many options slow retailer moves in JoCo
Rob Roberts
Staff Writer

Food Concepts International has been swooping down on new markets and grabbing up choice locations as part of an ambitious expansion plan for its Abuelo's Mexican Food Embassy concept.

When it came to cracking the Kansas City market, however, President Bob Lin said, "Hold the hot sauce."

Initially, the demographics led the Lubbock, Texas, company to Kansas City's "Gold Coast" -- Johnson County. But with the smorgasbord of retail centers popping up there -- 12 are being developed along the seven-mile stretch of 135th Street in Overland Park and Leawood alone -- many restaurateurs and retailers are delaying their Kansas City plans or launching them elsewhere.

Food Concepts, for instance, opened its 22nd Abuelo's on Dec. 6 in the Zona Rosa mixed-use center in Kansas City, North.

"We will continue to look at building another store in Kansas City, and it probably will be in Johnson County," Lin said. "But right now, if you pick the wrong place and the traffic is actually going to another center, you may have made a very bad economic mistake."

Jeff Alpert, co-developer of Park Place, a 34-acre mixed-use project at Nall Avenue and Town Center Drive in Leawood, said many shopping center plans are being set back because of "confusion in the marketplace."

Alpert said his project has an edge because it is across the street from about a million square feet of established high-end retail at Town Center Plaza.

Even so, "it is becoming more difficult to convince retailers that we're the right location," Alpert said. "They're waiting for the dust to settle."

Jack Waters, who is developing 370,000 square feet of retail space at 135th Street and Pflumm Road, said huge tenants like McDonald's Corp. and Wal-Mart Stores Inc. are not skittish about entering red-hot markets like Southern Johnson County.

"That's because their formula is so good that they can look at a location's demographics and access and predict within a few hundred hamburgers how many they'll sell a year," Waters said.

For smaller tenants, particularly those new to the area, it's a different story.

"They look at the Johnson County overall demographic and say, 'That's fabulous; I want part of that,'" Waters said. "But that's where the going gets tougher because knowing exactly where to go is a big deal."

Waters said he staked out his Crystal Springs site on 135th Street near the Overland Park-Olathe border to be able to pitch wide-ranging demographics to a variety of retailers.

Drive a few blocks east, and the story begins to change.

Although Olathe's average household income is near the county average of $94,000, the average household income within a three-mile radius of 135th Street and Antioch Road in Overland Park is $118,500, said Doug Davidson, president of County Economic Research Institute Inc.

That figure, 77 percent higher than the metro average and 78 percent higher than the U.S. average, helps explain why retailers and developers are drawn to Johnson County, Davidson said.

Another factor has been the county's rooftop boom. Johnson County's population, now estimated at 500,000, has been growing by 10,000 to 12,000 a year for the past decade.

Some of the priciest new homes being built in the county are near Cornerstone of Leawood, a mixed-use center being developed at 135th Street and Nall Avenue by RED Development LLC. The average household income within a three-mile radius of that center is $146,700.

To cater to that market, Cornerstone is being developed as an upscale lifestyle center, with shops opening onto heavily landscaped courtyards, said Mike Hans, who is helping market the property for RED.

Hans said lease rates in Cornerstone will range from the low $20s to the low $30s a square foot. But Dan Lowe, a partner with RED Development, said it's getting harder to get the asking price in Johnson County.

Lowe and Waters said the average lease rate for new retail space in Johnson County is about $20 a square foot.

"I think that's reflective of all the competition," Lowe said. "Three years ago, before all these projects were laid out, the average rate was probably $22 to $23."

Besides Cornerstone, RED Development is seeking retail tenants for a 300,000-square-foot retail site at 135th Street and State Line, a 215,000-square-foot power center near 67th Street and Interstate 35 in Merriam, and a proposed arena and retail-entertainment district near 115th Street and Metcalf Avenue in Overland Park.

"In my 18 years in the business, I've never seen a submarket with so many projects on the chalkboard," Lowe said. "135th Street is just a bloodbath, and the landlords are paying the price. Tenants are often writing their own tickets, saying they can get cheaper rent next door."

Lowe said the situation was exacerbated in January when the Cormac Co. of Omaha announced that it was resurrecting plans for a regional mall at 135th Street and Metcalf Avenue in Overland Park.

"There were several users looking at other locations in South Johnson County at that time who delayed their decision until they determined whether the Cormac deal was going to happen," Lowe said. "All retailers love synergy, and if there's going to be 800,000 square feet of retail in one location, everybody wants to be a part of it."

Actually, tenant demand has been so keen that Cormac had to seek City Council approval for a larger, 1.1 million-square-foot development plan two months ago, said John Dewhurst, director of retail development for the firm.

Tenants, to be announced after the first of the year, will include 20 not in the Kansas City market, Dewhurst said.

But not all of the shopping centers planned in Johnson County will get built, Lowe said, noting that the market already has its fill of grocery stores -- key anchors for neighborhood centers.

"That's the frustration," Lowe said. "We are competing on rate with some projects that have no chance of being constructed."

Reach Rob Roberts at 816-421-5900 or rroberts@bizjournals.com.
http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... tory3.html
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

man I am BEFORE MY TIME :)
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

I hate the way that businesses run. I know it's about profits, I know its about making the most money possible, but reading over that business journal article, it sounds like the people are cows, and the developers must milk you of your money. If there isn't more than a gallon of milk in your pockets, they don't even bother with you though.

It also ignores certain facts such as the fact that no matter what your income, you will require certain necessities such as food, clothing, entertainment, etc. With this type of logic, its no wonder you have a place like Johnson County that is full of shopping oppurtunity, then you have a place like Kansas City, Kansas, where there is very little shopping, but a relatively large population.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Chains not opening first stores in JoCo?

Post by mgsports »

54th Street Bar and Grill has a location by Great Mall of the Plains and Brandsmart former space in Overland Park might have sold.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

nota wrote: I was in the market for a new PALM. Decided to try them.

It is one of those slicky boy/commission sales/high pressure places. Only one person in the store who knew about PALMs at the time I went. About 3 on Monday. She had 3 customers ahead of me.
I'm in the market for a PALM, my beeper is about shot. How do you like yours?
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

mgsports wrote:54th Street Bar and Grill has a location by Great Mall of the Plains and Brandsmart former space in Overland Park might have sold.
Wow, reviving a 9 year old thread with a completely irrelevant post. Nice work!