50s/Main development

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: 50s/Main development

Post by Critical_Mass »

anyone have rendering(s) they can post for the 51st & Main project? I don't see it on the biz journal link on the previous page...
thegeester68
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by thegeester68 »

There's a much better rendering (albeit smaller) at

http://www.lds-kc.com/projects/epartment.html

Really like the urbane feel. I need to open a brunch space there, Eggtc won't be able to handle all the new business. :)
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

^ thanks!
I hadn't seen that smaller one.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

I too like the urbane feel, though find it slightly disconcerting that none of their other projects on that website are infill in urban areas. I hope that LDS can pull this off as well as they want. This is a very important development for the South Plaza. On a side note: Any intentions on moving the community garden to another lot in the area? Community garden is also very important for the South Plaza, though not in such a high profile location. Maybe over on Baltimore behind this sight?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Perhaps they are moving into doing urban infill now.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

FangKC wrote:Perhaps they are moving into doing urban infill now.
In other words, maybe this company has their wits about them and realize that switching to urban infill will make them more successful. Maybe more developers are realizing that cities are the way of the future. I can only hope they have a decent understanding of urban design. So many don't...
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Moving dirt on the site now...
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thegeester68
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by thegeester68 »

The developer web site has a couple other renderings as well as this one. I'm excited to see this come to life and think it will be a huge boon to the area not to mention the impact to local businesses.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The rendering might just be generic stock. Only shows 3 floors, project to be 6. Not a great design, and no balconies. Streetfront with retail will be good no matter how it looks.
thegeester68
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by thegeester68 »

earthling wrote:The rendering might just be generic stock. Only shows 3 floors, project to be 6. Not a great design, and no balconies. Streetfront with retail will be good no matter how it looks.
It may be generic, but that is the Main Street rendering and the elevation looks to be about 2 floors lower on the Baltimore side of the block, so it is probably the full 6 floors looking at it from there.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

thegeester68 wrote:
earthling wrote:The rendering might just be generic stock. Only shows 3 floors, project to be 6. Not a great design, and no balconies. Streetfront with retail will be good no matter how it looks.
It may be generic, but that is the Main Street rendering and the elevation looks to be about 2 floors lower on the Baltimore side of the block, so it is probably the full 6 floors looking at it from there.
I always thought height was from the lowest point on the street grid so I agree with this
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Nick and Jakes

Post by mgsports »

Replacing Beacon.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Nick and Jakes

Post by kucer »

Adds another brunch option I guess.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I think a solid ownership and management group like Nick and Jakes will finally keep a restaurant here for a long time. If this fails then I don't know if anything will be able to survive there.

Wonder if 810 Zone would have been interested in this property when they pulled out of the plaza location.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

brewcrew1000 wrote:I think a solid ownership and management group like Nick and Jakes will finally keep a restaurant here for a long time. If this fails then I don't know if anything will be able to survive there.
My thoughts exactly. I lived in that neighborhood for years and was preplexed that nothing can survive there. It's got plenty of parking, great walkability, great proximity to Plaza, UMKC, Brookside. Area is affluent. And with the huge condo development across the street...

I think it will thrive. it has to.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

And just think when that mid-luxury apartment complex and retail block begins to lease out and open up!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

it's in a bad spot for anything less than the rave about best. it takes more driving knowledge and interest to not go down Wornall or Brookside, especially since Main is not a through street for that segment. and who can survive as a neighborhood destination next to the Plaza. Too much competition.

the perfect restaurant for the area is positioned for students to want to frequent it. because if they want to go, it becomes a spot

50th and Main needs something way more "airy" than a tavern.