Joe Reardon not running for reelection

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Joe Reardon not running for reelection

Post by DaveKCMO »

family, etc., etc.

http://www.pitch.com/plog/archives/2013 ... third-term
Within hours of Reardon’s announcement, names of possible successors began to emerge. Among them are three current members of the Unified Board of Commissioners: Ann Murguia and Mark Holland were mentioned along with Nathan Barnes, who has already filed.

But other names were circulating, too: state Sen. David Haley, who’s run for mayor unsuccessfully twice before; Chris Steineger, who switched from the Democratic to the Republican party in 2010; and Hal Walker, now a candidate for the board of commissioners. Other candidates might also surface.
http://www.kansascity.com/2013/01/09/40 ... rning.html

i must admit i do not know the political scene in KCK very well, other than it's current and previous mayors. anyone care to weigh in on what might happen if various candidates make it into office?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Joe Reardon not running for reelection

Post by grovester »

Total crapshoot. I've also heard Tom Burroughs name, he's a state rep. It will be interesting to see if Reardon endorses anyone.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Someone once told me KCK politics was like being in the middle of sharks.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Isn't Steiniger pretty universally loathed?

Burroughs is the name I've heard too.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Reardon and Marinovich endorse Holland.

http://www.kckansan.com/2013/02/reardon ... um=twitter
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

KCMax wrote:Isn't Steiniger pretty universally loathed?
It will be interesting to see if he re-Democrats himself. Becoming a Republican is a possible strategy for success in Topeka. It is not a great plan for WyCo.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

His timing was horrible. 2 years too late.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

grovester wrote:Reardon and Marinovich endorse Holland.

http://www.kckansan.com/2013/02/reardon ... um=twitter
I was going to support Ann Murguia because she has done so much for the Argentine area she currently represents...I would like to give her the opportunity to replicate that success city-wide.

But now I'm not sure.

I trust Mayor Marinovich's judgement over any other... so her endorsement holds a lot of weight for me. And although I voted for Rehorn when Mayor Marinovich left office (and whom she endorsed) I have come to respect Mayor Reardon and the job he has done. So a joint endorsement by these 2 is BIG.

Nathaniel Barnes doesn't have a snow balls chance in hell. And that has nothing to do with race and everything to do with his incompetence. I read UG commission committee meeting minutes line by line... every last word... and I don't like the high and heavy handiness of him and commissioner Holland towards business people who have come before the Economic Development Committee. There are several incidents that make me question the capability of the 2 gentlemen. One was an exchange with Dan Lowe of RED Development on behalf of the Legend's former owner. The other incident involved Lane 4 property group, developer of 39 Rainbow. And more recently how they handled a proposed development of accessible single family homes aimed at disabled vetrans on 65th St near State Ave. The later was approved but only after the developer donated money to organization connected with Commissioner Barnes and agreed to let a black owned leasing company handle the development's leasing. This smacks of the old KC, KS.

Wyandotte County has worked too hard to show the business community that we are open and eager for business. The last thing we need is for these two to wreak the reputation that has brought Wyandotte County the Soccer Stadium, Cerner, Google Fiber, etc.

And yet Mayors Marinovich and Reardon have seen fit to offer Commissioner Holland their support. I'm torn as to what to do.
zachbot
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by zachbot »

I've heard rumors that Ann Murguia's campaign is being financed by Sam Brownback.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

zachbot wrote:I've heard rumors that Ann Murguia's campaign is being financed by Sam Brownback.

that would bemost disconcerting if true.especially given the Governor's plan of devastating public education in the state and her other anti democracy policies
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

zachbot wrote:I've heard rumors that Ann Murguia's campaign is being financed by Sam Brownback.
Financed by the same people who finance him, or him directly? Guessing the former.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

I don't know who to vote for. I want to support Ann Murguia but if she is being funded by conservative Special Interests then I cannot in good conscience vote for her. I don't want a Mayor beholden to special interests.

I'm leaning towards Mark Holland because he is endorsed by Mayor Marinovich. But after watching them on the Kansas City Weekend Review Episode I'm not so sure. I honestly don't like him.

Janice Witt is so uninformed it is sad. She just kept saying that the Legends is "bankrupted". That has nothing to do with anything. The city collects the sales and property tax from Legends regardless of the Legends ownership status.

I've already mailed in my provisional with Mark Holland ...but I'm not sure for the general election... I'm liking what Murguia has done and what she is saying. I need assurances that she isn't in cahoots with conservative special interests.

As for the others. Cordell Meeks is a smooth talker, but no. Barnes is saying what we want to hear, heaping praise on Marinovich and Reardon but I know better.
zachbot
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by zachbot »

Financed by the same people who finance him, or him directly? Guessing the former.
I don't know. Apparently a family member was in the same graduating class with Brownback at KU Law. Just some overheard gossip. Trying to find out more. :-|
ChandraNH
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChandraNH »

Ann stood with us (the residents in our new development) when our master developer wanted to change the terms of the game and put in federally subsidized senior citizen's apartments instead of market rate townhomes (after many of us had frankly plopped down much more money than we would have had we known that they would even consider putting in the subsidized housing and honestly, a good number would not have purchased in the area at all). Many of us had problems with the developer's high-handedness and outright lies (it went from these will be market rate consisting of senior citizens who want to live in an apartment and who will be golfing everyday, to these will be people who really can't get around much on their own, so don't worry about the traffic implications) so we turned to Ann, who is our councilwoman and she backed us up (not because she didn't want the project, but because we, as her constituents said no.) We attended the council meetings and kept abreast of what was going on. Mr. Holland by the way voted against us and frankly his attitude was offputting. Mr. Barnes voted with us and Mayor Reardon asked the developer to get back with us to try to reach a compromise.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Well, polls are open today. Go out and vote! 8-[
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

I voted early yesterday. It was like a block party standing in line at WyCo elections office. Everyone seemed to know at least one other person in line. KCK is like a really big small town.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

Why do news outlets keep saying that Mayor Reardon "stunned" everyone by not running for a 3rd term. I was not the least bit "stunned". I fully expected Mayor Reardon to step down, thereby continuing the tradition started by the first Mayor/CEO of the Unified Government, Mayor Marinovich to a limit of 2 terms in office.

We don't need any Mayor serving 40 years in office and running the city like their personal business a la Sylvester Powell of Mission, KS. I fully expect whoever succeeds Mayor Reardon to also limit themselves to 2 terms in office; if the voters see fit of course.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

I voted for Mark Holland in the primary but I'm seriously considering voting for Ann Murguia in the general election. However I need verbal assurances and a written/signed pledge that she will not be bound by special interest groups to push a conservative extremist social agenda in our community. Holland has Democratic credentials... Ann Murguia on the other hand, whom I'm presuming to be a Catholic, may possess extremist conservative views on social issues.

Local elections are non-partisan for a reason. I'm impressed with the redevelopment that Murguia has spear-headed in the Argentine area and would like to give her a chance to replicate that success city-wide. But I'm also concerned that as Mayor she may play favorites with Argentine district.

I'm on the fence for the General Election. And I consider myself to be an opinion leader in the community. So my decision influences the votes of quite a few others. This month leading up to the general election should be interesting.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Holland wins followed by Murguia. They will face each other in the general. Should be Holland's to lose.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

I hope Holland wins. I fear this region will really be missing both Marinovich and Reardon in a year or so.