2012 - 2013 College Basketball Season

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: 2012 - 2013 College Basketball Season

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Too ridiculous not to share.
My favorite thing about last nights game, other than breaking the losing streak, was that Allen Fieldhouse did not storm the court at the buzzer. Generally, when you beat a team thats ranked higher than you, at home, AND snapping a losing streak, its usually considered okay to storm the court. We didnt. We have a very mild rivalry, and despite whatever Wildcat nation thinks about us, we didnt feel the need to be overwhelming dicks. The last time I remember KU storming the court was against Mizzou. Have we ever stormed against KState? I'm sure we have, but I cant remember it. So, in closing, Wildcat fans, whenever you go on your adorable KU bashing escapades, remember the time we werent complete dicks. Amen. You'll kick our asses on the football field, we'll kick your asses on the basketball court. And so it goes.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Who wrote that?

I can't remember the court at AFH being stormed, ever, although my memory only goes back to the beginning of the Larry Brown era. Unless it happened during that crappy 1989 season.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

chaglang wrote:Who wrote that?

I can't remember the court at AFH being stormed, ever, although my memory only goes back to the beginning of the Larry Brown era. Unless it happened during that crappy 1989 season.
Friend on facebook.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

chaglang wrote:Who wrote that?

About 20 dumb freshman stormed the court against Texas in like 2003 or something. Other than that, I don't think it's happened since I've been alive.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They were all freshman? How was that determined?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCPowercat wrote:They were all freshman? How was that determined?
They were all wearing beanies.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

According to Google, fans rushed the AFH court after watching the 2008 National Championship and the 2012 National Semifinal games on the jumbotron.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

chaglang wrote:According to Google, fans rushed the AFH court after watching the 2008 National Championship and the 2012 National Semifinal games on the jumbotron.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCM1NGlzPYY
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Mizzou's transfer class finally starting to look like a decent class - well at least Brown, Bell and Oriakhi. I think Ross has a ways to go still before he's a complete and consistent player (like not being able to hit the broad side of a barn on the road). Bell, on the other hand, may have established himself as one of the best players in the SEC.

They finally won a road game but it may have been against one of the worst teams in division I. I am starting to think they might actually make the tournament - they were looking pretty NIT for a while.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Mack Brown doesn't last the year, does he?
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

KCMax wrote:Mack Brown doesn't last the year, does he?
Rick Barnes?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KC-wildcat wrote:
KCMax wrote:Mack Brown doesn't last the year, does he?
Rick Barnes?
Him too.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Basketball coaches who wear a shirt and suit but no tie always look to me like they've quit and are either on their way to or from a bar. That was Rick Barnes on Saturday night.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

chaglang wrote:Basketball coaches who wear a shirt and suit but no tie always look to me like they've quit and are either on their way to or from a bar. That was Rick Barnes on Saturday night.
That's been Rick Barnes all season. That University AD needs to be turned upside down. The crown jewel of this Conference shouldn't be dog shit in both bball and football. it's embarrasing.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Review finds missteps in NCAA’s investigation of Miami and MU’s Haith
The review, which was conducted by an outside law firm at the behest of NCAA president Mark Emmert, found that select members of the enforcement staff acted contrary to internal protocols, legal counsel and the membership’s understanding about the limits of its investigative powers.

But the investigation continues anyway...
The NCAA’s investigation of the University of Miami is moving forward after an external review found that approximately 20 percent of the information gathered was tainted. For Missouri basketball Coach Frank Haith, that means the wait continues to learn whether the NCAA believes he committed major violations while coaching the Hurricanes.
Meanwhile, the new NCAA VP of Enforcement has a law degree....from KU:
"Exploring Issues in Collegiate Athletics," University of Kansas Sports & Entertainment Law Symposium, Lawrence, KS, April 2011.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AllThingsKC wrote:Review finds missteps in NCAA’s investigation of Miami and MU’s Haith
The review, which was conducted by an outside law firm at the behest of NCAA president Mark Emmert, found that select members of the enforcement staff acted contrary to internal protocols, legal counsel and the membership’s understanding about the limits of its investigative powers.

But the investigation continues anyway...
The NCAA’s investigation of the University of Miami is moving forward after an external review found that approximately 20 percent of the information gathered was tainted. For Missouri basketball Coach Frank Haith, that means the wait continues to learn whether the NCAA believes he committed major violations while coaching the Hurricanes.
Meanwhile, the new NCAA VP of Enforcement has a law degree....from KU:
"Exploring Issues in Collegiate Athletics," University of Kansas Sports & Entertainment Law Symposium, Lawrence, KS, April 2011.
We all knew when the dust settled, the NCAA would get back to its investigation. I don't think the NCAA operates like a court of law where improperly obtained evidence is thrown out. And we aren't really sure if they got their dirt improperly or not, we just know they did not follow their own rules.

Point III is absolutely inmaterial. As I've said before, the expectation of professionalism trumps fun but business-irrelevant things like old college rivalries. I hope you realize that.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Highlander wrote: We all knew when the dust settled, the NCAA would get back to its investigation. I don't think the NCAA operates like a court of law where improperly obtained evidence is thrown out.
I agree with all of this. The NCAA is not a court, it is a private company. Therefore, it doesn't need to function like a court to prove or disprove innocence.
Highlander wrote:And we aren't really sure if they got their dirt improperly or not, we just know they did not follow their own rules.
I guess it would depend on your definition of "improper." I'm not sure that the NCAA did anything legally wrong in its investigation, but it did break many of it's own policies and procedures.
Highlander wrote: Point III is absolutely inmaterial. As I've said before, the expectation of professionalism trumps fun but business-irrelevant things like old college rivalries. I hope you realize that.
Well, I expect that to be case. But, the firing of Abigail Grantstein makes me question how professional the NCAA really is. I do find it interesting that the NCAA's solution to fixing the problems caused by one KU grad is to put another KU grad in charge (nothing against KU, just questionable actions by the NCAA). But, I will reserve my judgement until I have some evidence that the new VP is as corrupt as the old one.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

AllThingsKC wrote:I do find it interesting that the NCAA's solution to fixing the problems caused by one KU grad is to put another KU grad in charge (nothing against KU, just questionable actions by the NCAA). But, I will reserve my judgement until I have some evidence that the new VP is as corrupt as the old one.
So the obvious question is, would you find this as interesting if it were two Vanderbilt grads? Ohio State? Oregon? I don't understand why this is considered a questionable decision.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AllThingsKC wrote:Well, I expect that to be case. But, the firing of Abigail Grantstein makes me question how professional the NCAA really is. I do find it interesting that the NCAA's solution to fixing the problems caused by one KU grad is to put another KU grad in charge (nothing against KU, just questionable actions by the NCAA). But, I will reserve my judgement until I have some evidence that the new VP is as corrupt as the old one.
I don't see how it's an issue. The alma mater of the investigator is inmaterial. When my company recruits engineers, they don't call in only the people who are only from "neutral" schools to interview them. We expect people to act professionally, I am sure the NCAA is the same. The NCAA actions are not questionable at all, they want the best person for the job and college rivals are just too far down the line of importance to create even an appearance of impropriety or conflict of interest. It sounds like the individual who was fired just made a lot of procedural mistakes that made the NCAA look pretty sloppy.

In any event, Mizzou is not even being investigated, it's Haith and, unfortunately for Haith, there is a lot of smoke. I hope he comes out OK although I am not convinced he is a great coach - in fact, he isn't, this years team plays fundamentally sloppy basketball and I think some of that has got to be on the coach.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

chaglang wrote: So the obvious question is, would you find this as interesting if it were two Vanderbilt grads? Ohio State? Oregon?
Yes. Prior to moving to Indianapolis, where was the NCAA headquartered? In Overland Park, Kansas (which is home to many KU fans and grads). So, if the NCAA had been based in Nashville or Columbus for a number of years, I would be questioning the motives behind hiring two Vanderbilt grads or two Ohio State grads. Absolutely.

If a grad from School A is fired for corruption during an investigation involving a rival school, and the NCAA hires another grad from School A to be involved in an investigation of a rival school, then yes, I'd say that's interesting or questionable, at least on the surface. Maybe it's nothing at all. And, there are no signs at this time that the new VP will be as corrupted as the old one. But, knowing how the NCAA works, I wouldn't be surprised.
Highlander wrote: I don't see how it's an issue. The alma mater of the investigator is inmaterial. When my company recruits engineers, they don't call in only the people who are only from "neutral" schools to interview them. We expect people to act professionally, I am sure the NCAA is the same. The NCAA actions are not questionable at all, they want the best person for the job and college rivals are just too far down the line of importance to create even an appearance of impropriety or conflict of interest. It sounds like the individual who was fired just made a lot of procedural mistakes that made the NCAA look pretty sloppy.
I hope you're correct. I would love to think that this is the case and that the NCAA has dealt with their internal corruption properly.
Highlander wrote: In any event, Mizzou is not even being investigated, it's Haith and, unfortunately for Haith, there is a lot of smoke. I hope he comes out OK although I am not convinced he is a great coach - in fact, he isn't, this years team plays fundamentally sloppy basketball and I think some of that has got to be on the coach.
I highly doubt Haith is innocent. Generally, where there is smoke, there is fire. I wouldn't be surprised to see the NCAA take some kind of action against Haith. While the NCAA did say they had no proof of wrong doing, since they are not court, they can still take some kind of action anyway.

Also, I'm not sure it would be such a bad thing for Mizzou if this ends with Haith having to leave. Like you, I question his coaching sometimes.