We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by earthling »

^A few I know in Charlotte say it has below zero culture - say KC is a cultural dream in comparison. But they are an air hub and fast growing city. But so is Phoenix, another cultural pit.

Is not considered a travel destination by Travel and Leisure but KC is...
http://www.travelandleisure.com/america ... /vs/denver
Last edited by earthling on Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

earthling wrote:^A few I know in Charlotte say it has below zero culture - say KC is a cultural dream in comparison. But they are an air hub.
I could agree with this. There's a lot of things about KC that most people outside of KC will never realize. A revamped airport won't change this. Better support for tourism from within can, and a good place to start is with a new convention hotel...IE: Not an airport.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

im2kull wrote:
KCPowercat wrote: Charlotte is not a destination city.
Says who? :?

Charlotte is much more of a destination city than KC is, and a lot of that has NOTHING to do with their airport. More about city management, and their ability to drum up business without getting stuck on such trivial things like replacing one of the nations best performing mid-market airports. :lol:

I think you need to do some brushing up on Charlotte..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte,_North_Carolina

They just hosted the Democratic National Convention, something KC hasn't done since 1900. They have a light rail system. They're the 2nd largest banking center in the US, and a leader in post-highschool education. Their population density is almost twice ours and they're growing 25% faster. They're located on the east coast..something that bids well for direct intl flights to Europe, and they service 400% more passengers than MCI does. Anything I forget to mention? Oh yeah, they also have an NBA team.. :oops:
None of that nonsense makes them an international destination like you are claiming is the reason they have international flights completely ignoring it is simply because they are a hub. Travel and leisure agrees it appears... Charlotte is a fine city but it doesn't support international flights based on its draw.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

KCPowercat wrote: Charlotte is a fine city but it doesn't support international flights based on its draw.
Is that an opinion, or fact? What makes you think KC could be an international draw? Have you talked to many foreigners lately?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

im2kull wrote:
KCPowercat wrote: They're located on the east coast..something that bids well for direct intl flights to Europe, and they service 400% more passengers than MCI does. Anything I forget to mention? Oh yeah, they also have an NBA team.. :oops:

Like I've said before, being on the east coast has absolutely nothing to do with international (European in this case) flights. Flights travel along an arc which is basically the closest thing to a straight line on a globe. Consequently, they fly over the arctic not along shipping lanes. Minneapolis, Dallas, Memphis, Denver, Salt Lake City, LA, Seattle, Las Vegas, SF, Phoenix, Houston, Detroit, Atlanta, Chicago and I suspect many more inland cities have direct flights to Europe.

KC has nearly 2.5 million people in the metro and a host of business's that have international endeavors. For the most part, business and not tourism, drives overseas flights. Tourists don't tend to fly business or first class (where the money is for the airlines) - business travellers do. KC doesn't even need daily service, plenty of airlines fly to an international location 1-3 times per week.
Last edited by Highlander on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

im2kull wrote:
KCPowercat wrote: Charlotte is a fine city but it doesn't support international flights based on its draw.
Is that an opinion, or fact? What makes you think KC could be an international draw? Have you talked to many foreigners lately?
Fact. I didn't say KC was.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Highlander wrote: Like I've said before, being on the east coast has absolutely nothing to do with international (European in this case) flights. Flights travel along an arc which is basically the closest thing to a straight line on a globe. Consequently, they fly over the arctic not along shipping lanes.
Not every destination has the same arc. Detroit, and NY are far shorter trips than any international flight to KC would be. Why would someone add time to their trip just to transfer to another flight from KC to their final destination? Twist and turn the globe any which way you want, but there's still no way that making a pit stop in KC is any quicker than flying directly to any one of the major east coast, or northern hubs.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Delayed: Study of single-terminal design for KCI
Kansas City Aviation Department spokesman Joe McBride said Thursday that the study will be presented in April. The department had planned for the first part of the study to land on the desks at the City Council in February. A second part of the study, by the department and Cincinnati consultant Landrum & Brown Inc., now will be presented in October, rather than June. McBride said the delay came about because cost estimates topped the project’s $1.2 billion budget.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

pash wrote:
Highlander wrote:Like I've said before, being on the east coast has absolutely nothing to do with international (European in this case) flights. Flights travel along an arc which is basically the closest thing to a straight line on a globe. Consequently, they fly over the arctic not along shipping lanes.
You're overplaying the significance of great circles, and of how far north they take you when flying to most European gateway cities. Flying to New York to get on a flight to London adds only five percent to your travel distance versus flying to London directly from KC, for example. The advantages of flying out of bigger markets and of aggregating passengers in a hub count for much more.
The suggestion has been made that KC's location precludes KCI as an international destination. We both know that's BS. We are surrounded by cities with international flights in all compass directions.

There are other reason's why KC doesn't have international flights, and Im2kull is even half right about it. Great cities, however, have great infrastructure, and the two develop hand in hand as part of a positive feedback loop. We've sat on an obsolete airport for decades - I don't believe the solution is more bandaids. KC aviation may or may not make huge progress with a new terminal; it won't make any without it.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Doesn't seem like much of a switch.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

I wonder if these cost issues are because Mr. VanLoh wants too much in a medium sized airport???? I think he better start looking at a blueprint(Indianapolis) that will fit in the $1.2 billion budget, and still please everyone.
http://www.hntb.com/sites/default/files ... future.pdf
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Highlander wrote: The suggestion has been made that KC's location precludes KCI as an international destination. We both know that's BS. We are surrounded by cities with international flights in all compass directions.

There are other reason's why KC doesn't have international flights, and Im2kull is even half right about it. Great cities, however, have great infrastructure, and the two develop hand in hand as part of a positive feedback loop. We've sat on an obsolete airport for decades - I don't believe the solution is more bandaids. KC aviation may or may not make huge progress with a new terminal; it won't make any without it.
Not exactly what I've been saying, but whatever. KC is not currently an international DESTINATION CITY, which is one of the things I've been talking about in regards to international flights...not just our physical location.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

fyi; not sure if anyone posted this but an article in the st. joseph paper late last month.

http://www.newspressnow.com/news/local_ ... 37515.html
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

With the rapid growth of all these Middle Eastern airlines like Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, Turkish and others; who are buying tons of planes and getting fuel dirt cheap, wonder if we would see a route like this pop up in KC first before a flight to London, Paris, etc.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

brewcrew1000 wrote:With the rapid growth of all these Middle Eastern airlines like Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, Turkish and others; who are buying tons of planes and getting fuel dirt cheap, wonder if we would see a route like this pop up in KC first before a flight to London, Paris, etc.
That I could actually see. Those people come prepared for some really long flights, and always seem to be more interested in the slower, more rural side of the US than the big, bustling cities.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

brewcrew1000 wrote:With the rapid growth of all these Middle Eastern airlines like Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, Turkish and others; who are buying tons of planes and getting fuel dirt cheap, wonder if we would see a route like this pop up in KC first before a flight to London, Paris, etc.
The first three are in their own class. Turkish Airlines is not great.

I flew Emirates regularly from Houston to Dubai for several years. These are not cheap airlines. An Emirates ticket from Houston to Dubai was about $11,000 for business class. A comparable ticket on KLM or Lufthansa was only $6000 (the Emirates flight was direct in a new triple 7 while both KLM and Lufthansa then flew only old 757's with stops in their Amsterdam and Frankfurt hubs). Emirates, however, is a great ride - best airline for comfort-by far- I've flown on and I've spent a lot of time on business class flights (I hear only Singapore equals Emirates). Don't know about tourist class but I bet its pricey.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

I flew from LAX to Dubai last October and will vouch for Emirates. I was in coach and it wasn’t as bad as some other long distance flights. But no doubt, 16 ½ hours would have been much nicer in business class. I walked by those seats when I arrived in Dubai. Nice!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

cknab1 wrote:I flew from LAX to Dubai last October and will vouch for Emirates. I was in coach and it wasn’t as bad as some other long distance flights. But no doubt, 16 ½ hours would have been much nicer in business class. I walked by those seats when I arrived in Dubai. Nice!
Interesting that it took 16.5 hours from LAX - about the same duration as the flight from Houston. Unfortunately, I'm only flying business class on international business trips. When it's personal pleasure, I'm back in the cheap seats.