Sporting Kansas City

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
smh
Supporter

Re: 2012 Sporting Kansas City

Post by smh »

pash wrote:Well, so much for that.

Intense match for sure. A lot of good chances wasted. And that ref was just not going to blow his whistle for anything, was he?
I don't think he was issued a whistle.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

If you want to hear what fans who feel respected sound like, check out the comments on one of the Star's write-ups from last evening:

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/11/07/39 ... short.html

Not a troll in the bunch.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

pash wrote:Well, so much for that.

Intense match for sure. A lot of good chances wasted. And that ref was just not going to blow his whistle for anything, was he?
I'm not one to blame the ref much in any sport, and I'll admit I'm not a soccer expert or anything, but that ref was horseshit.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Time to check the whining. Welcome to the playoffs.

Houston played like a team that had been there before and Kansas City didn't (again).

It's pretty simple. We were complete pussies on the road and pissed away the post season by losing 2-0 in Houston. We don't have the scoring ability to overcome a 2-0 deficit in an aggregate play against a tough, defensive minded squad that has the discipline to sit back for 40 minutes in a final match. Credit to the them.

Guys like Kei Kamara and CJ Sapong are decent but until we get some offensive players that can create their own shot and we can stop having to rely on set pieces and unconventional scoring, this team is never going to win a title. This is why a team like the Galaxy always finds a way to advance - they have offensive weapons that create. And that's the reality that is going to have to be addressed if we are going to take the next step.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

set pieces sure didn't do it last night.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

MidtownCat wrote:It's pretty simple. We were complete pussies on the road and pissed away the post season by losing 2-0 in Houston. We don't have the scoring ability to overcome a 2-0 deficit in an aggregate play against a tough, defensive minded squad that has the discipline to sit back for 40 minutes in a final match. Credit to the them.

Guys like Kei Kamara and CJ Sapong are decent but until we get some offensive players that can create their own shot and we can stop having to rely on set pieces and unconventional scoring, this team is never going to win a title. This is why a team like the Galaxy always finds a way to advance - they have offensive weapons that create. And that's the reality that is going to have to be addressed if we are going to take the next step.
It's funny. prior to this game I would have probably argued with you on this point, but having lost that game and having some time to truly think back on when/how this team struggled...I think you're totally right. Everything was live or die by set pieces. Nobody could create for themselves...Teal could a little, but not at all consistently - plus he missed the last quarter of the season. The good thing is - I actually believe these owners will go out and find the person to fill that role this offseason.

A few months and we're at it again
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

SKC waives Julio Cesar, Cyprian Hedrick, Neven Markovic and Konrad Warzycha.
NKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by NKC »

Waiving Cesar will free up some cash to bring in another top talent. I would like to see SKC work out a trade for either Bunbury or Sapong. They are essentially the same player and only one year apart. If Vermes is bent on playing a 4-3-3 then he should look at trying to swap one of them for a top flight winger.

We need to get Zusi back into the middle of the field. I think we are at our best when we have Zusi, Espinoza, and Nagamura in the midfield. I would like to see Kamara get a shot at striker. He does his best work in front of goal and he is the only forward who can create his own chances. I like what Jacob Peterson brings to this team on the wing and Convey was good when he was healthy. We need to land at least one top winger on this team. It really is a shame that Vermes ran off Hercules Gomez. Gomez would have added an entirely new dynamic to the SKC offense this year.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Aren't we in danger of losing Zusi to a Euro team?
NKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by NKC »

The only player I've heard that may be looking at a euro move is Espinoza. Zusi is great but I don't think he is quite European material.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I believe I am thinking of Espinoza, you're right. Thanks.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Matt Besler named MLS Defender of the Year. Great honor for a local boy done good!
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

NKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by NKC »

I think Espinoza's move could be a blessing in disguise for Sporting. Roger is a great player, but I do not think he is markedly better than Zusi. In fact, I would say the two players are very comparable in quality. Roger has a temper that gets him into trouble on the field and can be a liability for the team at times. I do think Roger does a better job than Zusi in defensive support. All in all, I think this virtually assures us that Zusi will be back in the middle of the field for 2013 where he belongs. We need to find someone who is a great winger who can play midfield now. With Espinoza, Convey, and Cesar off the books there is plenty of cash to make a big signing.

It is also worth nothing that we have retained his MLS rights so if he wants to come back he will be with Sporting.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Queens Park Rangers rumored to have interest in Matt Besler. Would hate to lose him, but man what an awesome opportunity for a local kid.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

pash wrote:Just too bad it's QPR. :P
I adopted them a couple years back....for no reason other than a newly promoted side with an odd name....
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Nobody posting about the Feilhaber trade?

Also, Besler re-signed, will be announced tomorrow.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

Good trade and very happy Besler will hopefully stay.