Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by loftguy »

chaglang wrote:I think WH gets a bump only because it's visible from the front door of the Kauffman. Apart from (maaaaaybe) Los Tules, what's over there that a 65 year old would walk to? If a restaurant opened immediately south of the KCPA, it would do very well. Instead, the entire south side of 17th is dark by 6pm every night.
Los Tules business doubled upon the opening of the PAC.

And I'm glad. They are good people.
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

loftguy wrote:
chaglang wrote:I think WH gets a bump only because it's visible from the front door of the Kauffman. Apart from (maaaaaybe) Los Tules, what's over there that a 65 year old would walk to? If a restaurant opened immediately south of the KCPA, it would do very well. Instead, the entire south side of 17th is dark by 6pm every night.
Los Tules business doubled upon the opening of the PAC.

And I'm glad. They are good people.

Our business at The Rieger shot way up upon the opening of the Kauffman PAC. And I definitely wouldn't say that it's the 65+ crowd. The biggest areas of growth have been the 5pm-630 crowd before shows, as well as the early weeknights when something is happening. There's also been an increase in late-night dinner reservations in the 930-10pm range.

I certainly don't agree that the Crossroads is dark by 6pm south of 17th st. The Kauffman Center has had a huge impact on our entire neighborhood, pedestrian or not.

Since this conversation started with the announcement of Celina's new venture, I'm excited to have her in the neighborhood!
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

It looks like John Wayne Scott of Scott Fitness is opening a new venture -- this time a bar called the Green Lady Lounge in the old Balanca's spot. Soft opening in December, weekends only. Open until 3 am. You now know everything I know about it. I was a member at Scott Fitness for a long time, and he has an interesting aesthetic. I'll be interested to see how the bar shapes up.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

heatherkay wrote:It looks like John Wayne Scott of Scott Fitness is opening a new venture -- this time a bar called the Green Lady Lounge in the old Balanca's spot. Soft opening in December, weekends only. Open until 3 am. You now know everything I know about it. I was a member at Scott Fitness for a long time, and he has an interesting aesthetic. I'll be interested to see how the bar shapes up.
trying to recall the exact circumstances of balanca's closure, but i'm pretty sure 3 am will not be allowed under any circumstances.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Facebook page says 3am. Maybe no liquor license -- only boardgames and vintage lamps?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote:
heatherkay wrote:It looks like John Wayne Scott of Scott Fitness is opening a new venture -- this time a bar called the Green Lady Lounge in the old Balanca's spot. Soft opening in December, weekends only. Open until 3 am. You now know everything I know about it. I was a member at Scott Fitness for a long time, and he has an interesting aesthetic. I'll be interested to see how the bar shapes up.
trying to recall the exact circumstances of balanca's closure, but i'm pretty sure 3 am will not be allowed under any circumstances.
Murder.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

heatherkay wrote: I was a member at Scott Fitness for a long time, and he has an interesting aesthetic. I'll be interested to see how the bar shapes up.
I'll take "Bad Paint Jobs And Creepy Art" for $100
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

chaglang wrote:
heatherkay wrote: I was a member at Scott Fitness for a long time, and he has an interesting aesthetic. I'll be interested to see how the bar shapes up.
I'll take "Bad Paint Jobs And Creepy Art" for $100

Can any bar can survive with a "no meatheads and even fewer dipshits" aesthetic?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Especially in the summer, I think Harry's B&T does that. Though it does depend on what your working definition of dipshit is. :D
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

chaglang wrote:Especially in the summer, I think Harry's B&T does that. Though it does depend on what your working definition of dipshit is. :D

I don't know what you're thinking, because there was many a late evening, this summer, where I was in the midst of the B&T crowd, and not one of us would have passed the scratch and sniff test.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

New bar and live music venue for Crossroads district on Grand
The American Social, at 1813 Grand Blvd., will open in at least two phases. The first phase, on the second floor, will be called The Tank Room at the American Social and feature piano players and acoustic artists. It is scheduled to open in March.

The main floor will be the American Social and feature a Victorian décor.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Two buildings in the Xroads getting redeveloped. Both sound like solid plans- apartments with ground floor retail.

the buildings are at 1515-1517 Walnut St and 2100 Central. Only about 2 dozen apt b/w the projects. but both buildings are currently vacant.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/01/29/40 ... jects.html
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

good news. i also like that both are filling gaps in two of the more developed nodes of the xroads - the freighthouse area right behind lulu's/jacobsen, and across from the strip of storefronts that includes tannin on walnut. more opportunities for synergy than just some isolated res project.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Small but great projects....be cool to build in some restaurant / bar to go along with Tanin in the walnut building
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I'm glad to hear these projects announced--but I'd rather have seen new construction on Walnut at increased density. That project, while activating a building does not eliminate a surface parking lot and takes up a third of the block for 9 people. The $141,000 saved in taxes basically pays for his 3rd floor addition. Well played.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

smh wrote:I'm glad to hear these projects announced--but I'd rather have seen new construction on Walnut at increased density. That project, while activating a building does not eliminate a surface parking lot and takes up a third of the block for 9 people. The $141,000 saved in taxes basically pays for his 3rd floor addition. Well played.

That's a half empty view of things.

I applaud the Tomlinsons for making a $1.76 million dollar "at risk" investment in bringing to life this section of Walnut and for committing to making their home here. They will bring seven others to make their homes here too, in a property that has been dark for seven years and underutilized for twenty.
Oh, and the parking lots are all other ownership.

A building saved here, another of comparable vintage to be demo'd and replaced, a few blocks away. Each is wrong in the view of someone.

Just goes to show, no good deed goes unpunished.

edit: and $141,000 pays for the addition? Jesufus, is Mark Funkhauser back in town?
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

loftguy wrote: Jesufus, is Mark Funkhauser back in town?
Yep. I hear he is going to live in this building!
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

loftguy wrote:
smh wrote:I'm glad to hear these projects announced--but I'd rather have seen new construction on Walnut at increased density. That project, while activating a building does not eliminate a surface parking lot and takes up a third of the block for 9 people. The $141,000 saved in taxes basically pays for his 3rd floor addition. Well played.

That's a half empty view of things.

I applaud the Tomlinsons for making a $1.76 million dollar "at risk" investment in bringing to life this section of Walnut and for committing to making their home here. They will bring seven others to make their homes here too, in a property that has been dark for seven years and underutilized for twenty.
Oh, and the parking lots are all other ownership.

A building saved here, another of comparable vintage to be demo'd and replaced, a few blocks away. Each is wrong in the view of someone.

Just goes to show, no good deed goes unpunished.

edit: and $141,000 pays for the addition? Jesufus, is Mark Funkhauser back in town?
Haha, alright well fair enough. You're correct in that I should be taking a half-full view of this project. It activates the middle of that block eliminating a dead zone. But my dreams are of beautiful 5-7 story buildings. MY DREAAAMMSS!!!
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

and where is the gondola going to be?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.