Pinoy Cafe (Filipino Food) coming soon to KC!

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Pinoy Cafe (Filipino Food) coming soon to KC!

Post by brewcrew1000 »

From looking at their facebook page, it looks like they will be located in the former Royal Kabab King which closed or and former Indian place before that. That location seems to be a death trap but word is getting around via Facebook so maybe it will be a success.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Coming Soon: The Pinoy Cafe
But Theresa Spencer, the charismatic bar manager of the Uptown Arts Bar, is planning to change all that. Spencer is in the process of turning the intimate little dining space at 3605 Broadway into the Pinoy Cafe, a restaurant serving classic Filipino cuisine.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Anyone know if this place is going to open or if it is open yet. I also saw a new sign go up about at the end of that block in the former Royal Kabab King/ other Indian place before that called Clark's Caribbean Restaurant coming soon
supastudio
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by supastudio »

Any update on this place? Has it opened yet?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

supastudio wrote:Any update on this place? Has it opened yet?
http://www.pitch.com/fatcity/archives/2 ... ver-opened
supastudio
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by supastudio »

To be honest, the Kansas City Metro area can't support a straight up Filipino restaurant, yet. First, Filipino cuisine is still not very well known and hasn't hit elite or trendy status yet. I remember when Thai and Viet cuisine was fringe and all of a sudden, they became trendy and cool with the masses. Filipino cuisine is very good, but the only time the general population see's it, it's on fear factor or Bizzare Foods or No Reservations, which will usually just showcase the odd and strange. Second, the KC metro hasn't hit a critical mass of Filipinos. Granted there is a large community but not enough to support a Filipino restaurant all by themselves. A Pinoy restaurant will only succeed if non Filipinos support it. Also, there is still the mentality, "Oh I can make that better so why would I even go there" Haters gonna hate :)

If memory serves me, there have been only two "official" Filipino Restaurants in KC and they weren't open at the same time. When I say official I mean, Filipino cuisine is the main thing on the menu. I know a few places that serve Filipino food but they are strictly specials and not served all the time and not on the standard menu. I'm sure a place would succeed eventually, but I don't think the time is now. Maybe in a few years.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I think you underestimate the foodie scene in KC.