NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.

Which would you rather have?

NHL
44%
NBA
56%

Total votes: 195

AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Post by AllThingsKC »

Ez Street wrote:Speculation right now. Sure, KC gets brought up, but I still don't see it as realistc. that's just based off of no ownership group ready to bring a team here and the fact that AEG has sat on its ass and did nothing to land a team.

Prove me wrong AEG, prove...me...WRONG.
I don't like being a Debbie Downer, but I think I agree with you here.

KCMax wrote:Seems like an owner would be less hard to find than building a new arena.
Unless the team doesn't do very well here.
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

My bet is Quebec City, but I'd actualy wager that they stay in Glendale.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Report: Islanders staying in New York looking less likely
according to B.D. Gallof of CBS New York/WFAN.com.

More than a year ago an Islanders source warned me that the minority percentage of possible suitors outside of New York would rapidly climb. Eventually, that person said, this idea might even become an even bigger possibility.

I was told this right before the referendum attempt by Nassau County Executive Edward Mangano and Islanders owner Charles Wang blew into pieces due to a recession, politics and the county's severe growth limitations.

So, now that we are at the end of what has been a long season for hapless fans who have watched their hapless team once again come up short of achieving any real goals, it is also time to really look at the team with correct lenses.

The Islanders may very well be packing their suitcases in a few years.
They could possibly move to the new arena in Brooklyn that will house the Nets, but my understanding is that to make that NHL-regulation, they have to take out thousands of seats, which the Nets strongly object to.
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

As always, they need to keep in mind that the Islanders are locked until 2015.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Ez Street wrote:As always, they need to keep in mind that the Islanders are locked until 2015.
By which time Quebec and possibly Seattle will have opened new arenas.
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

kcjak wrote:
Ez Street wrote:As always, they need to keep in mind that the Islanders are locked until 2015.
By which time Quebec and possibly Seattle will have opened new arenas.
Now that is more logical than KC in 2015...
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

KCMax wrote:Report: Islanders staying in New York looking less likely
according to B.D. Gallof of CBS New York/WFAN.com.

More than a year ago an Islanders source warned me that the minority percentage of possible suitors outside of New York would rapidly climb. Eventually, that person said, this idea might even become an even bigger possibility.

I was told this right before the referendum attempt by Nassau County Executive Edward Mangano and Islanders owner Charles Wang blew into pieces due to a recession, politics and the county's severe growth limitations.

So, now that we are at the end of what has been a long season for hapless fans who have watched their hapless team once again come up short of achieving any real goals, it is also time to really look at the team with correct lenses.

The Islanders may very well be packing their suitcases in a few years.
They could possibly move to the new arena in Brooklyn that will house the Nets, but my understanding is that to make that NHL-regulation, they have to take out thousands of seats, which the Nets strongly object to.
And would also by far be the smallest, holding only 14,500, losing out on a ton of money. The next smallest is Winnipeg with 15k, perfectly sized for them but would never fly in NYC.
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

Now there might be a legit reason for the Islanders to break their lease:
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012 ... s/related/
jwmann2
Can't Start New Threads
Can't Start New Threads

Post by jwmann2 »

DiggityDawg wrote:I voted NHL. I'm not a big hockey fan, but could see myself becoming one.

Can't stand the NBA at all. Love college hoops, hate the NBA.
I agree, the NBA is atrocious. After attending my first NHL game, let me tell you that you will become a fan if Kansas City gets a franchise. Maybe the most exciting sport to watch in person and I've been to more MLB and NFL games than I can count.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

New arena to be built in Quebec City, to break ground in September
Quebec City announced on Sunday what people had long been anticipating: A new arena is going to be built starting in September of this year and is scheduled to be finished by 2015.

Just like that, the capital of Quebec skyrockets to the head of the relocation race.
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

KCMax wrote:New arena to be built in Quebec City, to break ground in September
Quebec City announced on Sunday what people had long been anticipating: A new arena is going to be built starting in September of this year and is scheduled to be finished by 2015.

Just like that, the capital of Quebec skyrockets to the head of the relocation race.
2015, see, they can take the Islanders!
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

This is becoming a very depressing thread.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Is Sacramento Arena Deal In Jeopardy?
The Maloof family, which owns the Sacramento Kings, is raising concerns over the construction of a new downtown arena, according to Eric Rose, who was hired to represent the family.
Rose said there are unresolved issues surrounding the arena deal. He said one of those issues centers on the $3 million the city is requesting the Maloofs contribute for predevelopment expenses, a condition the Maloofs are fighting.
A staff report obtained by KCRA 3 indicated the Maloofs have not signed the predevelopment agreement city staff will ask the council to approve Tuesday.
The Maloofs agreed to pay roughly $73 million dollars toward funding the nearly $400 million arena in late February, according to the Los Angeles Times.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KCMax wrote:Is Sacramento Arena Deal In Jeopardy?
The Maloof family, which owns the Sacramento Kings, is raising concerns over the construction of a new downtown arena, according to Eric Rose, who was hired to represent the family.
Rose said there are unresolved issues surrounding the arena deal. He said one of those issues centers on the $3 million the city is requesting the Maloofs contribute for predevelopment expenses, a condition the Maloofs are fighting.
A staff report obtained by KCRA 3 indicated the Maloofs have not signed the predevelopment agreement city staff will ask the council to approve Tuesday.
The Maloofs agreed to pay roughly $73 million dollars toward funding the nearly $400 million arena in late February, according to the Los Angeles Times.
From what I read on ESPN or Grantland, the Maloofs are making googly eyes at Anaheim. KC would be a tough sell.
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

chaglang wrote:
KCMax wrote:Is Sacramento Arena Deal In Jeopardy?
From what I read on ESPN or Grantland, the Maloofs are making googly eyes at Anaheim. KC would be a tough sell.
They nearly moved the team to Anaheim last off-season. It's probably a done deal if the Sac-town arena falls through.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KANSAS CITY: YOUR PRESEASON HOME FOR MIAMI HEAT BASKETBALL!

Heat playing the Wizards October 24 at Sprint Center
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Rangers v. Avalanche will play an exhibition game on Oct 6. Sprint Center shouldn't hold all these sporting events, they'll lose money!!111 OH NOES!
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

ONE game is booked like a concert. Way much different than a whole season. Don't have to give up any revenue.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Looks like Seattle has the approval for a new arena. Would be built only with a commitment of an NBA team (or maybe a NHL team). Previous approval required commitments by both sports. Has a local group on the prowl for a team.