Local Pig

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
coreyo
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Local Pig

Post by coreyo »

ChandraNH
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChandraNH »

Out and about in the city this weekend (Bossert's military supply, Habitat for Humanity Re-store) and stopped by here. There was a line of people behind us waiting to order.

Picked up four all beef franks, four butterburgers and two sausage of some type.

Husband says franks were good, though a little loosely packed in the casing.

Burgers were good as well (grind of meat is very similar to when you make your own burger meat from roasts/trimmings, with very defined pieces of beef in the burger. Texture is not at all similar to ground beef you can pick up in stores).

Haven't tried the sausage yet. Noticed they had grass-finished beef on the board, but were out of most of the rabbit, the bleu cheese stuffed burgers and some other stuff.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

The sausages are amazing, imo. Would be interested in hearing your opinion. I've tried several different kinds now, and they have all been incredible. Loved the burger, too. Thinking about running by after work and getting a steak for dinner tonight... they were out of steaks (except a giant tenderloin) when I went by late Saturday. They definitely seem to be doing brisk business, and I overheard one of the guys telling another customer that they were out of the butcher boxes, which I hope is a really good sign.

I'd love a butcher box, but I just don't eat enough meat.
Volker Dad
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Volker Dad »

Went here this weekend. I probably bought too much meat but the pork chops were, by far, the best I've ever had in my life. And the kids loved the hot dogs. They also had pretzel roles. We liked them very much.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I finally got away from trying all the sausages and got myself a pork chop last night (because they were out of steaks :cry:), and I concur. That has to have been just about the best damn pork chop I have ever had. Certainly the best I've ever cooked, and I even overdid it just a hair. Even so, it was still juicy. Yay!

Last Sunday I got foie-stuffed burgers and some of their jalapeno bacon, fried up the bacon in ye olde cast iron, then fried the burger in the pork fat and topped the burger with the bacon. I'm certain I narrowly avoided a heart attack, but it was epic.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Love this place as well...I am still working through all the sausage types.

I am eating one of those preztel rolls for lunch as we speak! they are yummy. From Farm to Market Co. I believe.

They have been doing BooCoo business there since they opened. Selling out pretty much daily. Suffice to say there was some pent up demand for their offerings.

Heard Grunauer is buying their Curry Sausages (for their menu i guess?). They are awesome.
Volker Dad
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Volker Dad »

mean wrote:I finally got away from trying all the sausages and got myself a pork chop last night (because they were out of steaks :cry:), and I concur. That has to have been just about the best damn pork chop I have ever had. Certainly the best I've ever cooked, and I even overdid it just a hair. Even so, it was still juicy. Yay!

Last Sunday I got foie-stuffed burgers and some of their jalapeno bacon, fried up the bacon in ye olde cast iron, then fried the burger in the pork fat and topped the burger with the bacon. I'm certain I narrowly avoided a heart attack, but it was epic.

This post put a huge smile on my face. We, apparently, lived parallel lives this weekend. I also tried the burgers (butter and blue cheese). Excellent. This place is bad for my health.
coreyo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by coreyo »

i got the jalapeno bacon and curry wurst. delicious. although everyone is right, the sausage isn't packed really tight which is a bit of a texture adjustment. still tasty.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Yes, love love love everything I've tried. I will however complain that the susages frequently start squirting out the ends, and occasionally burst out the sides. I'm guessing the sides is due to the natural casing they use, maybe it's not as consistent as manufactured casing. However, I wish they could tie the ends off a bit better...I'll ask next time I'm in. Maybe I'm doing something wrong with how I cook them - to high of heat, or something?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I've only had a containment problem with the Italian beef sausage. Everything else has cooked up great for me, and I've tried almost all of them (last night they had a couple new ones, but I forced myself to go pork chop). I did accidentally burn through the casing on a too-hot grill, but I've never had one explode out the ends (except the Italian beef) on any cooking surface. You might try turning down the heat, but I'm not sure that's the problem--you may just have had bad luck, or I may have just had good luck.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I've been cooking mine with my coals stacked to one side and the sausages on the other and that has been working just fine. The Currywurst is actually meant to be cooked in a pan, but i didn't have any problem throwing it on the grill the other night.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

My parents were in from out of town and I drug them down to the Local Pig for my first time. The neighborhood didn't impress too much, but we got some pilsner/cheese and chicken/sundried tomato sausages and they were amazing. We tried some of the rillettes (sp?) and swiss - amazing. Picked up a pork chop porterhouse that I'll grill up tonight and can't wait after reading the review on here. Am a little bummed there is already a waiting list for the butcher's boxes.

I also had some major issues with the sausages spewing cheese out the ends, but I didn't puncture the casing pre-cook and was in a hurry to finishing grilling before half time of the KU game. Will definitely try the indirect grilling method next time.

Anyone try the buffalo chicken sausages yet?
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I had the buffalo chicken a week ago, and it was pretty darn tastey. Was not as buffalo-y as I expected.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

so these guys put their business card in the smoker with their meats so they're infused with the aroma...how do they expect people to pass those out when they will clearly get eaten?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

some friends brought over four varieties of local pig sausages and we grilled them. no significant "leakage" issues with the sausages, they seemed to be packed tightly enough. they were freaking awesome.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Chef Alex was the featured chef at Grinder's taste beering, with O'Fallon Brewery, last Tues. The dinner was amazing, one of the best I've had there. Wow.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

taxi wrote:Chef Alex was the featured chef at Grinder's taste beering, with O'Fallon Brewery, last Tues. The dinner was amazing, one of the best I've had there. Wow.
Oh, go screw yourself.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Had dinner at The Publican here in Chicago last night, and... wow. Reminded me a lot of The Local Pig, actually, (which is why I'm posting here) with a restaurant attached to it. Definitely worth a visit, and made me want to beg Chef Alex to put a Local Pig restaurant in the space next to the shop.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I could see Chef Alex splitting his time between cooking and butchering. I mean even if he had a restaurant only open Tuesday-Saturday 5-10 they would still have lot of time to do the butchering.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Hey, what's Bossert's Military Surplus? Not Mickey's?