Knickerbocker Place Apartments

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Knickerbocker Place Apartments

Post by FangKC »

I don't deny that the area is a center for drugs and crime. But that isn't reason to tear down buildings.  The buildings simply need to be renovated and the criminal element removed using proper screening.

If the landlords are filling the buildings with drug-sellers and users and those involved in crime,
then other tenants, who are not engaged in those activities, need to make it clear to the landlord that they are moving out if it's not done.  If the single approach doesn't work, band together with others. Form a tenant's association.

The other option is to contact the police and set up a neighborhood watch program, and work with them.

Short of that, start videotaping the criminal activity around the building and mail the tape to the police department anonymously as evidence.  At least then, they can see who's doing it, and will have probable cause to monitor them.
There is no fifth destination.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote: Yeah, 'cause they're haunted.

When we talk about the state of buildings the ownership is implied in their condition. 

And those brownstones are haunted. 
Contact Larry Moore at KMBC-Channel 9 immediately. He'll want to know about haunting for his annual Halloween week haunting segments. Scary Larry.  :P
There is no fifth destination.
Cyclops
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Cyclops »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote: Yeah, 'cause they're haunted.
You're going to have to go into more detail than that Winchester. Good ghosts or bad ghosts? Isn't the Winchester Mystery House a haunted house as well?  :D
the only thing for sure is change.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

They are not brownstones, they are brick.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

FangKC wrote: I don't deny that the area is a center for drugs and crime. But that isn't reason to tear down buildings.  The buildings simply need to be renovated and the criminal element removed using proper screening.

If the landlords are filling the buildings with drug-sellers and users and those involved in crime,
then other tenants, who are not engaged in those activities, need to make it clear to the landlord that they are moving out if it's not done.  If the single approach doesn't work, band together with others. Form a tenant's association.

The other option is to contact the police and set up a neighborhood watch program, and work with them.

Short of that, start videotaping the criminal activity around the building and mail the tape to the police department anonymously as evidence.  At least then, they can see who's doing it, and will have probable cause to monitor them.

I looked into buying the apts just E of the Knickerbockers.  (Also called The Knickerbocker, so when I opened the thread I was a bit confused what we were talking about)  They were re-habbed by a private investor so we went in for a looksie.  Turns out, he had nothing but Mexicans living in there, paying cash for rent.  $300/mo or so, which seemed a bit high for the quality but where else can you live for $300/mo?

Anyhoo, he mentioned that some of them just bolt mid-month, and he can't find them.  But that there are always more walking in the front door looking for a place, so it's 90% leased on avg.  LOL!
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

They must be all over this one at the Ambassador - there are cops there pretty much every day of the week.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
Alan Birch
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Alan Birch »

Good luck setting up a neighborhood watch with the current KCPD. We tried that in Southmoreland Park last year and the cop who came out to meet with us basically told us we were on our own in terms of police support. Unless there was gunplay involved, they said our 911 calls were not "high-priority". Drugs and prositution, then, are not "high-priority" for the KCPD in midtown. Maybe useless and ineffective DUI checkpoints are, and maybe harassing people in Westport, or catching people running stopsigns are, but shootings at 39th and Broadway aren't...

Anyway. KC Life Insurance has had that whole area in north Valentine tied up for decades. Best open land left in the city, I think. I wish KCMO would just take it away from them and sell off the lots to individuals. I'd buy a couple, put up a couple of new houses. Contextually appropriate, of course.
92Tempo
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by 92Tempo »

Knickerbocker apartments demolished today.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

92Tempo wrote:Knickerbocker apartments demolished today.

KC Life improvement project?
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

This sucks.

Does that include the two buildings closer to Broadway...with the front porches? Or just the other buildings on the western portion of the block.
92Tempo
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by 92Tempo »

I just happened to notice while driving by and I am not familiar with the Knickerbocker. I may have misspoke. The two buildings closer to Broadway have been demolished; the other building to the west that runs to Pennsylvania Ave was still standing. I apologize if I got this wrong and needlessly riled anyone up. Trying to clarify on the internet I see both of them referred to as "the Knickerbocker."
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

Still disappointing. I wonder if this is to make way for new parking for the Ambassador. Aren't they renovating it?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Knickerbocker apartment buildings look like this. The actress Jean Harlow lived in one of the apartments at 516 Knickerbocker Place. Harlow was born Harlean Carpenter.

http://kchistory.org/cdm4/item_viewer.p ... OX=1&REC=3

See page 8 of the National Register listing.

http://www.dnr.mo.gov/shpo/nps-nr/03000525.pdf
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

this is a fucking travesty. those apartments were HUGE and in great shape. amazing historic features. a matching set was on the opposite side of the street until KC Life demolished them in the 80s? so much of midtown lost...
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Well, if that upsets you Dave, this really will:

http://forum.kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?p=485582#p485582
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

These are the buildings that were demolished on Knickerbocker Place.

Why are they tearing down that building across the street on the east side of Broadway? The one south of the KC Free Clinic and north of the Congress Building?

DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I guess I can understand tearing down the Little Ambassador buildings, but what a bummer to tear down the 3 story building on B'way just to put a for sale sign up on it. That was about the only block left in the area with a complete streetscape left (except for the old Blockbuster strip). Will end up with a huge dead spot in the area.

Here's hoping the Knickerbockers can be rehabbed before they get to run down.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I'm not buying it. None of this stuff should be coming down in kcmo. This continued destruction of the urban fabric of kc is mind boggling and so un-productive. KC has got to find a way make land and structures on land in urban corridors like Broadway more valuable and desirable. Broadway needs light rail (street cars would be better) or something to spur economic investment and maintain density.

You add all these little teardowns up (which rarely lead to quality urban redevelopment) and the you have substantial damage.

For the love of god, stop tearing things down. There has to be more that can be done to correct this.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

“At one time they were beautiful apartments, but they don’t fit the need of today’s marketplace.”
Yea, the one thing we have too much of downtown is affordable apartments.