Indy Superbowl

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Indy Superbowl

Post by kcmetro »

The next time Arrowhead gets rebuilt, it will be out by the Legends. And hopefully a new baseball stadium will be built downtown eventually.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

kcmetro wrote:The next time Arrowhead gets rebuilt, it will be out by the Legends. And hopefully a new baseball stadium will be built downtown eventually.
No it won't.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Last edited by kcmetro on Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCPowercat wrote:
kcmetro wrote:The next time Arrowhead gets rebuilt, it will be out by the Legends. And hopefully a new baseball stadium will be built downtown eventually.
No it won't.
It will if Kansas throws money at the Chiefs like they do for KCMO companies.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

pash wrote:Uh, because they've already spent a quarter of a billion dollars re-doing the Truman Sports Complex. You can't do that too many more times before, in retrospect, you unquestionably would rather have built something new.
I don't agree, I think there's something to be said for retaining historic structures with a strong tradition behind them. Personally, I would rather the Chiefs be playing in the same stadium 50 years from now.
pash wrote:And—though this more true of Kauffman than Arrowhead—the main reason to build something new is simply to put it in a better spot.
I don't think there's a better spot for Arrowhead. Kauffman should have been moved closer to downtown, imo, but that was unfortunately never on the table.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

kcmetro wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:
No it won't.
It will if Kansas throws money at the Chiefs like they do for KCMO companies.
Unfortunately, based on how Clark Hunt appears to be running things, I'm afraid he might jump at the opportunity if Kansas waved enough cash at him.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I think the discussion of Indy's performance and reception as a Super Bowl host city contains a lot of lessons for KC. They have done a great job over the years pulling towards a common goal in that region...the original RCA Dome, remember, was one of the first big steps on their mission towards downtown revitalization and revelance...in the mid-80's. They have successfully selected and pursued a strategy of amatuer sports, regional tourism and downtown redevelopment. They recently built a new airport terminal and have worked hard to connect assets downtown. Whatever assets Indy has (and it has IMO fewer than many other comparable cities), they have attempted to maximize.

I think the most interesting idea here is that cities like Indy and San Antonio have seen success with the modern model of central-city as tourist/convention playground, and that may be one of the few realistic "comeback" models for midsize midwestern downtowns. Residents and large offices will continue to locate in the suburbs, but if you can provide enough critical mass downtown you can nonetheless create a regional (and with any luck national) destination for tourism, conferences and entertainment.

Of course I would rather that a regional downtown/inner neighborhoods still function as the primary (by far) office and residential quarters in a metro, but this is no longer the case in many places and Indy and SA prove that the oft-derided "big project" conventioneer mentality "can" work when executed correctly and with conviction. Thoughts?
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I should add; I remember at some point in the late 90's/early-00's visiting family in Carmel, Indiana (Overland Park/Leawood equivalent) and...being driven around downtown Indy by my retired relatives and given the full urban sight seeing tour, including a walk-through of Conseco Fieldhouse lobby. They were beaming with pride. Contrast to the modern suburban attitude in KC, StL, etc.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

rxlexi wrote:I think the discussion of Indy's performance and reception as a Super Bowl host city contains a lot of lessons for KC. They have done a great job over the years pulling towards a common goal in that region...the original RCA Dome, remember, was one of the first big steps on their mission towards downtown revitalization and revelance...in the mid-80's. They have successfully selected and pursued a strategy of amatuer sports, regional tourism and downtown redevelopment. They recently built a new airport terminal and have worked hard to connect assets downtown. Whatever assets Indy has (and it has IMO fewer than many other comparable cities), they have attempted to maximize.

I think the most interesting idea here is that cities like Indy and San Antonio have seen success with the modern model of central-city as tourist/convention playground, and that may be one of the few realistic "comeback" models for midsize midwestern downtowns. Residents and large offices will continue to locate in the suburbs, but if you can provide enough critical mass downtown you can nonetheless create a regional (and with any luck national) destination for tourism, conferences and entertainment.

Of course I would rather that a regional downtown/inner neighborhoods still function as the primary (by far) office and residential quarters in a metro, but this is no longer the case in many places and Indy and SA prove that the oft-derided "big project" conventioneer mentality "can" work when executed correctly and with conviction. Thoughts?
I think we should be a tourist attraction as a Midwest foodie/arts destination and really cultivate our "artsy" neighborhoods. I want the Crossroads to be this famous neighborhood everyone in the Midwest knows about as a really cool place to be with amazing restaurants and art galleries.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The Secret to a Successful Urban Stadium
Not that Indy isn’t also plagued by sprawl and disinvested neighborhoods, by the way, but its relatively compact, walkable downtown is loaded with convenience compared to the locations of most NFL football facilities. Indeed, Lucas Oil Stadium has a "very walkable" Walk Score of 72. (By contrast, FedEx Field, where the Washington Redskins play, rates only a "car-dependent" 28.)
Arrowhead's Walk Score is 15.

I was listening to Bill Simmons' podcast on ESPN and he was saying that walkability was key for Indy, and its why he hated Houston and Jacksonville hosting the Super Bowl.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

rxlexi wrote:I think the discussion of Indy's performance and reception as a Super Bowl host city contains a lot of lessons for KC. They have done a great job over the years pulling towards a common goal in that region...the original RCA Dome, remember, was one of the first big steps on their mission towards downtown revitalization and revelance...in the mid-80's. They have successfully selected and pursued a strategy of amatuer sports, regional tourism and downtown redevelopment. They recently built a new airport terminal and have worked hard to connect assets downtown. Whatever assets Indy has (and it has IMO fewer than many other comparable cities), they have attempted to maximize.

One word here-Unigov