Sama Zama

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Sama Zama

Post by kboish »

Per Joyce Smith: One Bite Japanese is picking up shop from OP moving to Westport and renaming itself Sama Zama. I believe they will be going into the location next to Jerusalem Cafe.

Said they want the more "diverse urban crowd".

I've never eaten at there old place. Anyone heard of them before?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Sama Zama

Post by chrizow »

http://www.pitch.com/kansascity/one-is- ... id=2184941

i remember reading this very favorable pitch review, but we never drove out to south BFE to try it. we will definitely try it after they relocate to westport.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Whoa, sounds like a great move by them, glad to hear it. Have not been out there for a while, but here is some pretty old content on One Bite:

http://lthforum.com/kc/viewtopic.php?p=216#p216
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Finally! This makes me so happy. I've been wanting to try One Bite for years but literally could not make myself drive all the way out to it's previous location for one reason or another. Westport seems like a perfect fit for the concept, can't wait to try it.

On a side note, Westport is on a nice little roll of late with "The Boot", the supposed "Starker's" taco place, Gusto, and now One Bite/Sama Zama. Between a late afternoon lunch and beer in the sun at McCoys two weeks ago, and a satisfying brunch at Westport Cafe last Saturday, I'm thoroughly digging the Westport vibe again.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I ate at One Bite a couple times and it was very good, VERY HAPPY to hear they're coming up north! I hope they bring their okonomiyaki with them. Delicious.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

rxlexi wrote: the supposed "Starker's" taco place,.
What/where is this?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCMax wrote:
rxlexi wrote: the supposed "Starker's" taco place,.
What/where is this?
Barrio, an Esquina or Port Fonda-esque fancy taco joint, is slated to open in a ground level space at the 41Penn (or whatever it's called) condo building. not sure when.

i agree that Westport is on a roll. for better and for worse, it seems to be way more subdued even during weekend late-night times where it used to be a zoo. this is good for the neighborhood vibe the area is re-developing, but probably bad for the kelly's-type places. if america's pub would close, and if something decent would happen with the Chili's strip mall, Westport would be killer.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I've been saying for years that the entire sad strip mall and Boston Market / Verizon Store just needs to be demolished, and something built up to the street with parking in the back. Looking at a satellite image of the north side of Westport Road west of Mill is nauseating. Oceans of surface parking.
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

John McClure did a Barrio "pop up" at Twin City Tavern Sunday night and drew rave reviews. I've not heard an opening date lately, but you can "Like" their Facebook page and get plugged in for updates. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Barrio/143672282387479

And very excited to have a new incarnation of One Bite in Westport. Loved their food when we tried it a couple of years ago but just couldn't make the trek out there. I think they'll do great in that location.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Here's a good one for y'all .. Had lunch here last week. Not going to review the food.. Our waitress boyfriend brought her Sonic for lunch while we were waiting on our food..classic...ok one thing ..the Ramin noodles were not in a clear broth , but milk based? Kinda weird
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Here's a good one for y'all .. Had lunch here last week. Not going to review the food.. Our waitress boyfriend brought her Sonic for lunch while we were waiting on our food..classic...ok one thing ..the Ramin noodles were not in a clear broth , but milk based? Kinda weird
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

I thought Sama Zama was fantastic. the udon noodles were glorious. I would go back in a heartbeat.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Had dinner at Sama Zama recently. I love this place, just as hoped. Authentic (to the best my knowledge) Japanese entrees and small bites. Sleek, modern atmosphere, friendly service.

We had the raw wasabi marinated octopus (spread on seaweed wraps), short ribs and classic pork "Japanese pizza" - I forget the official name. Friend had the vegetable udon noodles, which looked great.

The "pizza" was really interesting, and rich. A thick dough base with chunks of pork, fried egg on top and dusted with fish flakes that "dance" on top the hot entree. Impressive presentation, I thought.

Also had one of the sake cocktails; Japanese melon soft drink mixed with Sake over ice (you pour/mix). They have a number of straight Sakes available hot and cold as well, and beer.

Place was fairly empty when we went, and I hope business picks up. The owner seems incredibly nice and I made sure to mention that I appreciated the move from the deep burbs into my 'hood :). Check them out, great and authentic addition to Westport.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

to those with any interest in Sama Zama - check them out! I went for dinner again Saturday just to throw them some more business (their udon noodles sounded great on a freezing night) and we were one of only two occupied tables around 9pm.

Food was again great, we split a seaweed and cucumber salad and veggie spring rolls and I had the chicken udon noodles. Chunky, fresh veggies, and those fat noodles hit the spot as planned.

The owner remembered us and sat us at the same table. I love this place and hope it develops a loyal following; it adds a unique angle to westports increasingly attractive dining scene.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

rxlexi wrote:to those with any interest in Sama Zama - check them out! I went for dinner again Saturday just to throw them some more business (their udon noodles sounded great on a freezing night) and we were one of only two occupied tables around 9pm.

Food was again great, we split a seaweed and cucumber salad and veggie spring rolls and I had the chicken udon noodles. Chunky, fresh veggies, and those fat noodles hit the spot as planned.

The owner remembered us and sat us at the same table. I love this place and hope it develops a loyal following; it adds a unique angle to westports increasingly attractive dining scene.
Agreed. I went on Friday after checking out the menu on Thursday evening. It was completely vacant at around 7:30 on Thursday, and there were only three or four tables on Friday. I encourage everyone to give them a try.

Ultimately, it is probably around the same price range as WCB and the Boot, $15-$20 per person when ordering the small plates (without drinks). The small plates Japanese dishes are also mixed with some larger noodle dishes. I am still really excited to go back and try the ramen, which they are pretty proud of. My friend and I had short ribs, fried calamari, chicken teriyaki skewars, and gyoza (pork dumplings). Everything was solid, and the ribs were excellent. They came with a sweet, sour, and spicy pickle that was described as a palate cleanser. It definitely cleanses the palate, but it runs your mouth through a number of different sensations before doing so. The staff is extremely courteous, the place has a sleak vibe, and it is very clean. Hopefully, everyone gives it a shot as it is a great addition to what has transformed into one of the coolest new/old stretches of KC.