Best "urban" option in KS?

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Best "urban" option in KS?

Post by kucer »

Yes, the post topic makes me chuckle.

Anyway with much second-guessing, my wife and I are going to explore options outside of KCMO for schools. It's killing us because we love our home, neighborhood, neighbors, etc. Our daughter is currently at Border Star, but with all of the district mess and internal messes at the school itself, we don't have much hope for it's future. The district doesn't communicate and I don't want to find out this summer that the school is no longer going to be open. I honestly could see that scenario happening.

Private school is not an option.

We still would like to be in the "urban core", but have a decent public school option.

I'm thinking Westwood is our only option, but want to make sure i'm not missing anything.
(yes, i know many here would not consider Westwood part of the core)
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Best "urban" option in KS?

Post by KCMax »

Not much. I guess old downtown OP (79th and Santa Fe), downtown Mission and maybe the areas around the Prairie Village Shops? Those are all kinda walkable. Its a stretch to call them "urban" though.
sbrundel
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by sbrundel »

My wife and I recently bought our first home in Roeland Park and we love it. Moved from southern JOCO to get away from the cookie-cuttiness of it all. Yes, like all older areas there are not so great parts, but there's a ton of nice parts as well. Prairie Village, Fairway, and parts of Mission as well.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

I guess it depends on what you're looking for. I really liked living in our little bungalow in Roeland Park. We were four houses south of County Line and three streets west of Mission Road. We could walk to Westport, and it was easy access to I-35 or SW Blvd to get downtown. And you SMSD schools.

We live in Rosedale now, which is basically an extension of W. 39th Street. The elementary school is pretty good, for an urban school (this is my understanding based on not having kids). Lots of children of KU students of all nationalities. And if you can get them into Sumner Academy, that is one of the best high schools in town. The path through Rosedale Middle School is a little tricky. The KCKPS is a little more stable and functional than KCMSD, but Rosedale is an urban middle school with all the attendant problems.

ETA: Have you considered North Kansas City? It's just on the other side of the bridge from downtown, and the little downtown is a great walkable block of shops and restaurants.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

NKC is a great recommendation.

Not sure what factors are most important to you but if I was in that situation I'd be looking for where I could jump a bus easily to work and also walkable amenities. I think NKC provides both.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I like PV around 71st and Mission, i think it's a really nice walkable suburban area.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

aren't we talking kids here? What about Shawnee Mission District vs. KCK schools
vs. NKC schools?
Last edited by bbqboy on Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

There is also the area around 39th and State Line, by KU Med. That's pretty urban. Perhaps a bit gritty, but pretty safe from what I understand. Not sure if a lot of kids live there though.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

bbqboy wrote:aren't we talking kids here? What about Shawnee Mission District vs. KCK schools
vs. NKC schools?

Yes, schools will be the priority as its the only reason for moving, but I'm still hoping for some sort of "urban core." That's why I'm thinking Westwood (w of Rainbow..most likely) with the SMSD.

I need to look closer at NKC and it's school district. I do love their downtown area.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

FWIW, I would concur with those who suggest NKC. Have family who graduated from those schools and friends who work in NKC schools. Should be good and stable education. Politics of the city should be acceptable.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

What's the rush? My kids go to Border Star and there's not another elementary in the metro I'd trade it for. If the district closes it or some huge shake-up happens, why not move then? There are certainly no shortage of houses on the market, and I doubt your Brookside home will be any more marketable now than at any other time in the foreseeable future. Why cross the bridge before you come to it?

If shit implodes, I am moving back to midtown and going private, but until my hand is forced, Brookside/Waldo with Border Star or Academy Lafayette is pretty unbeatable for kid-rearing in the city.
ThaMexican
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ThaMexican »

What is the deal with Borderstar? I just went to an open house 2 weeks ago and it seemed all is good, my kiddo is about to be 3 so I will not need a school until 2 and a half years from now but already scouting schools.

Like Borderstar, Foreign Language Academy for their Spanish immersion programm, Accademy Laffayette and I hear decent things from Gordon Parks even thought they are not meeting the standards yet they have been making progress.

Also there is a new one coming this year Crossroads Academy.
eclair
New York Life
New York Life

Post by eclair »

I love my neighborhood. It is called Spring Valley and it is south of 43rd, north of 47th and then west of Stateline but east of Rainbow. It is a little pocket of about 300 houses. Crime is low and walkability is high. The best part is that you can pay out of district (it is in WyCo) to attend SM schools. Most of the kids on my block attend Westwood View Elementary. Technically it is not urban core but it is urban enough for me and is a part of Kansas City, KS.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

chingon wrote:What's the rush? My kids go to Border Star and there's not another elementary in the metro I'd trade it for. If the district closes it or some huge shake-up happens, why not move then? There are certainly no shortage of houses on the market, and I doubt your Brookside home will be any more marketable now than at any other time in the foreseeable future. Why cross the bridge before you come to it?

If shit implodes, I am moving back to midtown and going private, but until my hand is forced, Brookside/Waldo with Border Star or Academy Lafayette is pretty unbeatable for kid-rearing in the city.
We could wait it out, but I think over the past couple years we are just tired of worrying what might happen with the school and district. Again, private school won’t be an option, so it doesn’t leave us much choice but to move if things go south. With our child being a first grader, I’d rather get her acclimated to a traditional classroom now then potentially have to do it in 3rd or 4th grade. I guess we have just decided to be proactive.

Mostly, we still love the school. Her current classroom teacher is excellent and she is doing great. All of the “specials” teachers were reassigned from last year. The new Art teacher is subpar compared to last year. I'd like to see more consistency there. We both work FT jobs, but are actively involved in the school & PTA and it seems like only the same 20 parents give a crap about what goes on there. The majority of parents aren’t involved whether they come from the east side, midtown or Brookside. Maybe that is the case everywhere, but it would be nice if more parents stepped up to the plate and volunteered. The principal also doesn’t seem to be as engaged as she used to be.

I’m sure my daughter would be fine if Border Star stays the course for the next 4 years; my wife and I are just tired from always worrying about it and being part of a small group of parents who keep things going.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

eclair wrote:I love my neighborhood. It is called Spring Valley and it is south of 43rd, north of 47th and then west of Stateline but east of Rainbow. It is a little pocket of about 300 houses. Crime is low and walkability is high. The best part is that you can pay out of district (it is in WyCo) to attend SM schools. Most of the kids on my block attend Westwood View Elementary. Technically it is not urban core but it is urban enough for me and is a part of Kansas City, KS.
Good info, thanks.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

eclair wrote:I love my neighborhood. It is called Spring Valley and it is south of 43rd, north of 47th and then west of Stateline but east of Rainbow. It is a little pocket of about 300 houses. Crime is low and walkability is high. The best part is that you can pay out of district (it is in WyCo) to attend SM schools. Most of the kids on my block attend Westwood View Elementary. Technically it is not urban core but it is urban enough for me and is a part of Kansas City, KS.
I had no idea you could do this. Any idea what the tuition ends up looking like? Do you get a voucher from KCKPS?