Charlie Weis to KU

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Charlie Weis to KU

Post by kcmetro »

Charlie Weis will be named KU's new head football coach tomorrow.

http://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/tale-t ... -am-what-/
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Charlie Weis to KU

Post by KCMax »

Rumor is Jim Leavitt will be DC.

Good hire considering how unattractive the job is. Great name that can hopefully rejuvenate the program.

And we can bring back the "our coach can eat your coach" t-shirts!
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Leavitt as DC would be awesome. Hope it happens!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Would have been better to keep Turner....wow.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCPowercat wrote:Would have been better to keep Turner....wow.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Completely. Are you honestly excited for this hire?
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCPowercat wrote:Completely. Are you honestly excited for this hire?
I don't know how he'll do, but he can't do any worse than Gill.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Well that's a bold statement. My statement partially takes into account the money KU still has to pay Turner.

It's okay if you are excited....we won't pull it up in 2014 or anything :)
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCPowercat wrote:Well that's a bold statement. My statement partially takes into account the money KU still has to pay Turner.

I think he needs to bring in a good DC if he's going to be successful. If he does, then I'll be a lot more confident in the hire. No more "homerun hire" comments from me. :lol:
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCPowercat wrote:Well that's a bold statement. My statement partially takes into account the money KU still has to pay Turner.

I don't think it is bold at all to say he won't be as bad as Turner Gill. 1990's KU would laugh about how terrible we were over the last few years.

As mentioned, I'm still not sure what to make of it, but given the position KU was in, we could either try to give a name guy a second chance, or we could take a stab at finding the next great coach from a heap of coordinators. I think the easiest way to put a positive spin on it is that Weis will get in the door of a lot more players than Turner Gill or any young coordinator could dream of. Some at Notre Dame would criticize his recruiting because they didn't win as often after a few years, but he still landed five star players regularly. People know his name. There are certainly negatives, but any pick KU made was going to have some risk. At the very worst, we will recruit better and be bad to moderately bad (2 to 5 win seasons). Gill's legacy was to lose recruits, and the team was getting worse and playing with less heart every weak.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Why any fans - no less the fans of opposing schools - really think they understand the true effects of money on this situation baffles me. Money has nothing to do with the situation and you saying you're somehow "taking that into account" is pretty laughable, really.

I don't have a lot of love for the idea of Weis, but we could do worse - including keeping Gill.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Best of luck.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Word is the press conference will announce Weis and the 2014 coaching search has begun.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Wait. So, Weis openly hates Kansas City? Doesn't he know know KC is a KU town???????????
It was little secret that Weis wasn't fond of Kansas City during his time with the Chiefs, and he moved on to the Gators in part so that he could be near his son, who is also on the football staff. He bought a horse farm in nearby Ocala, and has several health issues that could hamper recruiting.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ball-coach
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I don't particularly like this hire. Yes, he's better than Turner Gill, but we should probably aim for a higher bar than that. I want a lifer, or at least someone that will be here long enough to build something good, and I don't really get the sense that Weis will be here 6-7 years from now. Every account sounds like he is an abrasive personality who is not very up front with people which rubs many the wrong way. He's also been criticized for being a shoddy recruiter and not all that great in game management. I just don't get this move.

I wanted a young guy with some head coaching experience who had done good work at a non-BCS school. Kevin Sumlin was my dream hire, but was probably a pipe dream. Dave Doeren at No. Illinois would have been nice. Failing that, I wanted an experienced coach who had fallen out of favor. I heard about Phillip Fulmer being interested in the job and was intrigued. I guess Charlie Weis fits that mold, but I was kinda hoping for someone that had experienced a bit more success. I guess this could work out and its certainly given KU the kind of attention it wanted, but I hope this isn't style over substance.

My prediction - he is here four years, brings us to barely mediocrity (5 or 6 win seasons), then gets fired because he and Zenger don't get along.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

To be fair, Weis took an underperforming Notre Dame job and landed top 10 or 25 recruiting classes every year he was there. That is to be expected at Notre Dame, but he didn't exactly flounder. The '05 Willingham class wasn't in the top 25, then Weis followed that up with #5, #11, #2, #23. The last year was "bad" (would be amazing for KU), but people were talking about him leaving all off-season before then.

He may be abrasive, but I've also read stories about how difficult it is at Notre Dame to be the little puppet for the big donors that they want you to be, not unlike Gillespie at Kentucky. I doubt many would dispute Gillespie's coaching prowess, but sometimes a guy is just not a fit to be around people with unreasonable expectations. This could be the low key job he was looking for, and the real reason why he chose to come to KU. It is still a big gamble, but KU was going to have to gamble regardless of who they hired. If it works, there will be a lot of people eating crow, not unlike the number eating crow for saying bringing Snyder back was a bad idea (I'm pretty sure I was in that category).
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Well can't argue with what he did with the offense in Floridia.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

KCPowercat wrote:Well can't argue with what he did with the offense in Floridia.
Can't wait till old balls retires. KSU back to nothing.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Lol. Thanks for worrying about little old ksu in the thread about your new coach.