Downtown Mission/ The Gateway

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Downtown Mission/ The Gateway

Post by kcjak »

shinatoo wrote:I totally was ignorant of any kind of prejudice against Hispanics, must have had my head in the sand. Growing up in Raytown I saw plenty of prejudice and out right racist attitudes toward African Americans, but I have never seen nor felt any kind of prejudice toward Hispanics. I will ask my son about it though, he just started working with an all Mexican house painting crew.
I see it quite a bit - my partner is hispanic and when his family visits we encounter it a lot. I'm white, he doesn't 'look' hispanic but his parents are from Mexico, live in Dallas and don't speak English well (but can understand pretty well). When we go places I see how people treat them differently - it's amazing that people will say things about you/them right in front of you and think you won't understand them.
redperro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by redperro »

justin8216 wrote:
kcjak wrote:
Yes, they DO have a choice - if you're in another country illegally then don't drive without accepting the repercussions. Regardless of whether someone is from Mexico, France, Australia, the US or wherever, you should heed the law.
That's bullshit and everybody with a brain knows it. They do not have a choice. Our government welcomes them to come work illegally and then refuses to give them drivers lisc to get to work. How will they make a living if they can't drive to work in a car dependent city? And there really are no repercussions to driving without a lics other than paying a fine and keep driving bec that is the way our elected government has chosen to set it up.

Our country is on its' last legs unless people start using their fucking heads.
agree with you on this account

but dont agree with your comfort level of being the only white shopper,,,whats the matter its still the same food if the store is where black people shop or white people,i see alot of blacks on that state line hyvee,.....

i thought u eat at wilsons pizza bro,n was mexicano
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

FangKC wrote: My retort was that I was more worried about the Italians.
It would have been hilarious if she said "Italians? I thought you said you said you were moving to Northeast? I didn't know you meant you were moving into a cookie-cutter McMansion north and east of the farthest reaches of the exurban Northland...or wait, do you have a time machine to travel back to 1980?"
redperro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by redperro »

oh and the mission road walmart would not be that good....wats wrong with roe? the parking lot is a friggin mess, but i park across the street if i go, i usually go 2 price chopper just to browse around.........................yep,indian springs wal-mart would be cool if the village west one doesnt satisify everyones needs,maybe a smaller one there on state and keep the roe one the way it is to serve north joco n south wyco neighborhoods
redperro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by redperro »

chingon wrote:
It would have been hilarious if she said "Italians? I thought you said you said you were moving to Northeast? I didn't know you meant you were moving into a cookie-cutter McMansion north and east of the farthest reaches of the exurban Northland...or wait, do you have a time machine to travel back to 1980?"
northeast in the late 80s must have been funky

the italianoz in the mix paisan'n it up,eyy joeyy,marone
the brothers in paseo n heading EAST
the poor whites and working class whites all through out northeast and east 27th

yep,screw north kc.....
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

redperro wrote:
chingon wrote:
northeast in the late 80s must have been funky

the italianoz in the mix paisan'n it up,eyy joeyy,marone
the brothers in paseo n heading EAST
the poor whites and working class whites all through out northeast and east 27th

yep,screw north kc.....
Personally, I'm hoping her daughter will marry a lesbian with one black parent and one Mexican parent. And hopefully the black parent will be a black Muslim. :D
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

This is why:

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2008-11 ... tai-damour

I don't shop at Wal-mart. This man's death, by trampling, is what I think of whenever I see a Walmart or Sams Club. Nauseating. As a lifelong worker, that could have been myself, murdered 'on the clock.'. Solidarity.

Plus, that Rieland Park shop is plain damn inept. I went with a friend so she could pick up an online order and it was some second world shit, plus somebody gave us 'the hand' in response to our questions.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

What's going on the parcel between the post office and metcalf? Lots of earth movers and grading happening.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

AJoD wrote:That would be the West Gateway:

http://forum.kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?p=455565#p455565
Thanks, not sure I ever caught East vs. West! :oops:
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

No worries...you're far from alone :)
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Was watching local NBC news last night and they did a small piece on the open house held at Mission City Hall yesterday where new renderings of the development were shown. Can't find them anywhere on the net - anyone know where they're located? From what I could tell on tv, the latest iteration showed a massive parking lot (on top of the 5 story garage) plopped in the center of the site with bulidings around it.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

http://slaggie.com/project/id/38/

I'm not sure how old these are...but i know Slaggie was working on the project. As i recall, the images don't seem to match the news report last night.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I do like the design work Slaggie did on the Kirkwood development on the Plaza. I do wish someone would hire them to build apartments and townhouses to fill out the remaining parcels on Quality Hill.

http://slaggie.com/project/id/37/

AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

kcjak wrote:Was watching local NBC news last night and they did a small piece on the open house held at Mission City Hall yesterday where new renderings of the development were shown. Can't find them anywhere on the net - anyone know where they're located? From what I could tell on tv, the latest iteration showed a massive parking lot (on top of the 5 story garage) plopped in the center of the site with bulidings around it.
Missed the meeting. This is pretty rudimentary, but not inspiring: [Tried to embed the images, but they are enormous.]

http://savemission.net/Images/12-20-201 ... opy/03.JPG

http://savemission.net/Images/12-20-201 ... opy/07.JPG

The images of the materials give a little more flavor:

http://savemission.net/Images/12-20-201 ... opy/05.JPG

http://savemission.net/Images/12-20-201 ... opy/10.JPG

Those images are all hosted here.

For frame of reference, here is a slideshow of the previous renderings.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Too. Much. Parking. *assaults recently deceased equine*
sbrundel
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by sbrundel »

Maybe I'm missing something, but where is the fitness center and movie theatre?
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The images presented at the City Hall meeting don't match what's in the glossy slideshow. And to be promised a Walmart that doesn't look like a Walmart...just looks like a 'nicer' Walmart where everyone is going to be fighting for parking close to the door. I'm a little underwhelmed.

I'm also missing the cinema and am not a fan of east-bound traffic on SM Parkway having a turn lane across west-bound traffic.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Really? Those plans look terrible. Why not just scrap this whole plan, drop the STAR bond crap and let walmart and a few other med boxes build there that will pay taxes and be done with it?

The orginal plans for this project were decent, but this is just silly.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

GRID wrote:Really? Those plans look terrible. Why not just scrap this whole plan, drop the STAR bond crap and let walmart and a few other med boxes build there that will pay taxes and be done with it?

The orginal plans for this project were decent, but this is just silly.
Because people like free money, and the STAR bonds are free money.

Plus I think too many people - politicians, developers - have sold this thing up too high now to just settle for what was originally proposed.

Has something changed much with the renderings? They look pretty much the same to me. The SMP side was always going to be a large big box with huge parking lagoons. It was underneath that was supposed to incorporate more New Urbanist design and pedestrian-friendly components along Johnson Drive and Roseland. Has that changed?