turner Gill

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: turner Gill

Post by AllThingsKC »

Looks like we can take Mike Leach off the list...

http://tracking.si.com/2011/11/30/repor ... ead-coach/
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

:shock:

Washington State? Really? Wonder how KU will spin this one.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

The only reason I could see him going to WSU is for more money and maybe he thinks it will be easier to win there since the Pac 12 sucks right now. Otherwise, that's a pretty terrible football school, even worse than KU. Also a crappy location in the middle of nowhere in eastern Washington.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I think Mike Leach is from Wyoming and spent a good portion of his life in Pac-12 country. So, perhaps he's taking the Wazzu job because he feels like he's "home."
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

What's even more surprising, is aren't the Arizona State and UCLA jobs open too? Why would you take WSU over those schools? Seems bizarre.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

kcmetro wrote:What's even more surprising, is aren't the Arizona State and UCLA jobs open too? Why would you take WSU over those schools? Seems bizarre.
Allegedly, Leach was never on UCLA's list. They are looking for a more conservative hire. I also heard that UCLA only has an 80 yard practice field and really hasn't dedicated resources well to football.

It is a tad puzzling, but Leach is a puzzling guy. Perhaps he just wanted to go to the place where he was the biggest King of the smallest castle. The Pac 12 is easier to get good in fast due to the schedules and poor play of late. WSU is also a place where he could win 5-8 games/year and stay for a long long time. He could probably do that at KU as well, but we fired a guy for quasi-similarly thin reasons as his firing, and he would play Tech every year and face the media about his firing every year at KU. I think most KU fans know KU is not a desirable job right now, which is why I think we need to give someone their first shot as a head coach.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Apropos of nothing, but guess who the Washington State University President is?

Elson Floyd. Mike Leach be shakin!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Rumor today is that KU planes are headed to Chicago, presumably to meet with Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald. I can't imagine he'd leave his alma mater for what is a lateral move at best.

Supposedly former USF coach Jim Leavitt has re-emerged as a candidate.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Leavitt would be a good get.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

WOuldn't be happy if KU got Levitt.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

bobbyhawks wrote:It is a tad puzzling, but Leach is a puzzling guy. Perhaps he just wanted to go to the place where he was the biggest King of the smallest castle.
Somebody on the radio this morning made a case that Pullman is a lot like Lubbock. Not just that it's big fish/little pond, but made the case that he's an Xs/Os guy, likes to coach, not really interested in dealing with a bigger media market, boosters who are more engaged etc. Don't know if it's true, but sounded good. I think it was Gary Barnett, actually...thought Pullman was really a perfect fit.

Also said that he thought Kansas would be a good fit for him and he would be interested, has had no conversations, but wouldn't necessarily at this point because it would go through his agent.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Houston's Kevin Sumlin - who I really like, but doesn't seem to be on KU's radar, perhaps because he will get better offers - has been offered the job at Arizona State.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

That's who they should have hired instead of Turner Gill.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KansasCityCraka wrote:That's who they should have hired instead of Turner Gill.
I still can't believe Lew handed over $10 million to a guy with a 20-30 record at Buffalo. :x
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

kcmetro wrote:
I still can't believe Lew handed over $10 million to a guy with a 20-30 record at Buffalo. :x
Forum history is a bitch....you could do the same for some of my posts but anyways....

http://forum.kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 01#p418701
kcmetro wrote:Just got done watching the Gill presser.  I'm more excited than ever for this guy to be the new coach!  Home run hire!!!  =D>
and many more around that post.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

LOL, yes I know I was excited, but I wasn't clear on the contract and how much Gill was getting paid compared to other coaches. If I was the AD, I would've given him 800k for 3 years. Gill would've come here for that. Not sure why Lew thought he needed to give him 2mil/year for 5 years guaranteed. It really heightens the ceiling from here on out as to what potential coaches expect to be paid at KU, which sucks.
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

kcmetro wrote:Just got done watching the Gill presser.  I'm more excited than ever for this guy to be the new coach!  Home run hire!!!  =D>
:lol: :lol: :lol:
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

kcmetro wrote:
That's why Gill didn't get the Nebraska job. TO didn't think he had proved himself at Buffalo.

There was a fair number of fans who wanted him more for what he did as an NU player rather than what he did at Buffalo. After the Callahan fiasco you couldn't have another bad hire. I wouldn't mind seeing TG come back as the QB coach/Offensive coordinator. Maybe he could teach Martinez how to run the damn option. ;-)
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Sumlin is also the leading candidate at A&M.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Why doesn't Kansas go after Mike Sherman?