beer.

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Re: beer.

Post by mudjack »

chrizow wrote:the boulevard website says the dry stout is draught-only. that sucks! we're about to get into stout season (for me). i like it far more than bobs, lunar, or even nutcracker. i hope bully porter remains available in bottles.
Bully! Porter is my beer of choice nine times out of ten, regardless of season. If they take that away, I'll have a hard choice to make.
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

chrizow wrote:the boulevard website says the dry stout is draught-only. that sucks! we're about to get into stout season (for me). i like it far more than bobs, lunar, or even nutcracker. i hope bully porter remains available in bottles.
Bully! Porter is my beer of choice nine times out of ten, regardless of season. If they take that away, I'll have a hard choice to make.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

pash wrote:Bully will stick around in bottles. The stout segment is a lot more competitive because every craft brewery out there does a double chocolate imperial marsupial extra whatever stout. (Although there aren't a lot of American dry stouts—but that's obviously because you have to go against Guinness there.)
Whew! I know that Bully doesn't have anywhere near the sales of an unfiltered wheat or even pale ale. I worry sometimes about the beers that don't have as much mass appeal.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

I'm trying my first Guinness Black Lager. As much I hate to say anything bad about Guinness, I really am underwhelmed by this lager. Perhaps my hopes were high because it is from Guinness, but it has a watery taste to it. The head disappears as soon as you stop pouring, maybe that's why they say to drink it from the bottle. It's not horrible or anything, just a disappointment. I was lucky enough to have Guinness at the brewery in Dublin. Any other stout has not been the same since and when I see the Guinness name on something I'm expecting the same type of excellence.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

cknab1 wrote:I'm trying my first Guinness Black Lager. As much I hate to say anything bad about Guinness, I really am underwhelmed by this lager. Perhaps my hopes were high because it is from Guinness, but it has a watery taste to it. The head disappears as soon as you stop pouring, maybe that's why they say to drink it from the bottle. It's not horrible or anything, just a disappointment. I was lucky enough to have Guinness at the brewery in Dublin. Any other stout has not been the same since and when I see the Guinness name on something I'm expecting the same type of excellence.
I've not tried the lager but if it is anything like the Stout, it loses something the further from Dublin you get. When in the UK, I drank Guinness when I was out at the "local" but rarely opt for it back here in the US. It's not the same as it is in the British Isles for reasons I cannot quite explain and there are so many local micro's to explore. Of course, it's best right there at the brewery in Dublin.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Highlander wrote: I've not tried the lager but if it is anything like the Stout, it loses something the further from Dublin you get. When in the UK, I drank Guinness when I was out at the "local" but rarely opt for it back here in the US. It's not the same as it is in the British Isles for reasons I cannot quite explain and there are so many local micro's to explore. Of course, it's best right there at the brewery in Dublin.
There are a few different few recipes for Guiness, depending on where it is sold (an maybe what production facility it comes from). The US and Continental versions are stronger than the British Isles variety, which has fairly low ABV. I think the strongest is sold in the Caribean.

I think Guiness is a pretty mediocre product with pretty stellar "branding".
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Guinness is pretty agreeable with my gut, if greasy and light on the palate.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

has anyone ever toured weston brewing company? was thinking of taking the tour saturday with the fam. boulevard tour is full.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

I just bought some Kräftig Lager which is the attempt by William Busch to challenge A-B Inbevs Budweiser and Bud Light in the St. Louis and Southern Illinois market, and supposedly further eventually. It adheres to the German Purity Law, no adjunct stuff, but is easily the blandest, watery beer I've ever taste - granted, no awful aluminum flavor I always pick up in the Hamms of the world. The mouthfeel reminds me of Boulevard Pilsner, but I could put it in a sports bottle and go jogging and dump it on my head when I become overheated. They need to do something with the hops profile. On the flipside, I'll buy it instead of Pabst, and I hope they do well...they are pretty unapologetic and straight forward in not wanting to be a craft brewer. They just need to work up to a canning line, and tweak the lager towards being a little more Germanic, and they will have a hell of a float trip beer.

http://www.kegworks.com/images/blogpost ... -lager.gif
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

BLVD has a nice variety pack of their 4 smokestack minis with a free BLVD glass. Same price as the regular 4 pack. Yum and cool.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Not directly beer related but was at the Original Flying Saucer while at the Cotton Bowl and got a picture of the first plate. This guy is a cult hero I'm sure:
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Does Blvd have a new beer called Hoppy Wheat? I see it popping up on menus of beer dinners but never really heard of it anywhere else.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

As far as I know, it is still in testing. There will be some at the Grunauer Blvd. beer dinner tonight and it is listed as a test beer. I think there are still spots available if you are interested. I'm hoping they will have some Chocolate ale there but probably not.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I believe it isn't going to be distributed for retail, just a test brew made available to some restaraunts and employees.

It may have something to do with some cross-contamination...I'm pretty sure their last batch of BBQ was contaminated with something as well. Can't remember what it was though...still tasted good!
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Huh! "Contaminated" usually precludes tasting good.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

well, it just wasn't what they were going for...sometimes that how new beers are born!

I wish i had a better memory and could remember what it was that is contaminating stuff, but apparently something they used in some test brews has a very resilient or easily spread yeast that has gotten into some of their other batches.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

so i guess i should clarify...i meant contaminated as in the wrong ingredients were in there...not that it was rotten or something.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

kboish wrote:well, it just wasn't what they were going for...sometimes that how new beers are born!

I wish i had a better memory and could remember what it was that is contaminating stuff, but apparently something they used in some test brews has a very resilient or easily spread yeast that has gotten into some of their other batches.
I think you're thinking of last year's Imperial Stout. A few of the bottles were infected with Brettanomyces bacteria which gave them a different flavor. Some folks were unhappy about it, I think some others enjoyed it more.