Hen House vs. Hy Vee on NW 64th St.

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
supastudio
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Hen House vs. Hy Vee on NW 64th St.

Post by supastudio »

The Hy Vee just opened on NW 64th St. just across the street from Hen House.  So what's going to happen?
"Architecture is to be experienced by moving through it rather than looking at it."
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Hen House vs. Hy Vee on NW 64th St.

Post by shaffe »

Hen House is going down IMO. Might take a while, but I can't see Hen House, Hy-Vee, and McKeever's Price Chopper all within a short distance surviving.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I think Hy-Vee wins this one.  It's new.  And, if I'm not mistaken, that Hen House has had multiple issues with the health department and its liquor license.
KC is the way to be!
supastudio
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by supastudio »

shaffe wrote: Hen House is going down IMO. Might take a while, but I can't see Hen House, Hy-Vee, and McKeever's Price Chopper all within a short distance surviving.
The Price Chopper is far enough west that Parkville and Riss Lake residents will likely still go there rather than Hy Vee.  To be honest, I have never been to that Price Chopper, but I live closer to I-29.  Hen House did a major remodel knowing the construction of the Hy Vee.  Hopefully they didn't waste too much money and they'll be in business for a while.  Is there any other location in the metro area with two grocery stores this close to each other?
"Architecture is to be experienced by moving through it rather than looking at it."
NorthlandGuy
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthlandGuy »

I think they both will survive. I was just in the Hen House last week. The remodel is really nice. In Liberty, there's a super walmart, super target, 2 price choppers, and a brand new HyVee all in less than one mile from each other.
Railroad436
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Railroad436 »

I much prefer Hy-Vee. I think they are by far the best grocery chain in KC. Their stores are well-organized, clean, good prices, and the employees are always nice and friendly.

Hen House actually caters to a more weathly demographic. Their prices are a little higher and you can often find "premium" brands. Since you have Tremont, Riss Lake, and an upper class demographic there, they will maintain enough business but they will obviously lose some market share. I think it is good for the people that live around there to have another close option though.

I live at 169 and Englewood and now have a Hy-Vee every direction I am so I appreciate it opening because I prefer not to shop anywhere else.
Railroad436
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Railroad436 »

shaffe wrote:Hen House is going down IMO. Might take a while, but I can't see Hen House, Hy-Vee, and McKeever's Price Chopper all within a short distance surviving.

That Price Chopper is organized really weird. Come to think of it, all Price Choppers are organized kind of odd. I can never find anything when i walk into them. I think that is the Price Chopper where I need a loaf of bread and instead of it being in the center isles, it was back in a corner next to the alcohol.