OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I would like to open one of these in the P&L or some other bar/college area, i think it could do very well.  This place is awesome, it's the cousin of Jimmy John's so the sandwiches are pretty much the same thing, i use to work at one in Minnesota, way better then JJ's, they serve you the inside guts of the bread and they also serve Soups and have wheat sub bread.

http://www.erbertandgerberts.com/locations
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

Why is the new $10 cover charge on Fri-Sat nights credit card only?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

pstokely wrote: Why is the new $10 cover charge on Fri-Sat nights credit card only?
Anybody have more info on this?  Caught some comments on twitter...not seeing much in the media except some "unbiased" kcconfidential posting.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

It's to combat loitering. P&L has had a lot of issues lately with people jamming up the stairwells as well as areas within the block. I guess the train of thought is that if people don't have the $10 to get into the courtyard, they may as well get them off the property altogether.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

and in the whole Barcade conversation: In Dallas there is a ripoff that I actually prefer called Barcadia. Every time I go there for meetings my coworkers and I go in. Significantly less obnoxious crowd than Williamsburg, and on Tuesday nights all the games are free. FYI: Donkey Kong JR is frickin HARD!

oh, and they also have life sized Jenga. Better to not wear open toed shoes.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

ColumbusParkian wrote: and in the whole Barcade conversation: In Dallas there is a ripoff that I actually prefer called Barcadia. Every time I go there for meetings my coworkers and I go in. Significantly less obnoxious crowd than Williamsburg, and on Tuesday nights all the games are free. FYI: Donkey Kong JR is frickin HARD!

oh, and they also have life sized Jenga. Better to not wear open toed shoes.
I think I saw one of those life-sized Jengas in Iowa City as well. Ouch!
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

ColumbusParkian wrote: It's to combat loitering. P&L has had a lot of issues lately with people jamming up the stairwells as well as areas within the block. I guess the train of thought is that if people don't have the $10 to get into the courtyard, they may as well get them off the property altogether.
But why don't they accept $10 in cash?
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

sound like they now want to keep out low income people.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

We all know, your money's no good here!
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

There are peaceful white people without credit cards but enough cash
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

"Our prices discriminate, because we can't!"
-The Simpsons
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

I imagine it is to prevent pilferage on the part of the guys working the entrance and outright robbery from someone who might be walking by and see the guy at the entrance with the wad of cash as an easy target.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Odd its only Friday night.  A cover is probably needed on summer nights.

pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

Every place with in there still takes cash as a cover charge
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Most bars in other cities have covers on the weekends anyway.  Maybe they should do what they do in the Gaslamp in San Diego, if you have a ticket stub from a Sprint Center event, you get into the P&L for free.  Most places in Gaslamp let you in free with Padres ticket stub.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I read something on twitter that the cover is then good for admission I to the bars that charge a cover.....any truth to this?

ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

KCPowercat wrote: I read something on twitter that the cover is then good for admission I to the bars that charge a cover.....any truth to this?
that's actually a good idea if the case, not having to pay cover for reach place, just walk in and check it out.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Most bars in other cities have covers on the weekends anyway. 
No.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

I'm not usually one to complain about things but this is absolutely stupid.

I hate to say this, but I frequent the PNL way too much then I'd like to admit. I'm there usually every other weekend (if not every weekend) and this whole $10 admittance fee is not something I'm willing to pay for anymore.

First off, if you're with a gf or girl that you would like to be your gf, it's basically $20 before you even step into a bar.  Giving 2 raffle tickets to use in PNL is a slap in the face and is basically charging a ridiculously high front door cover charge. 

Secondly, the staff at PNL are clueless about EVERYTHING.  For example, my buddy had a VIP PNL black card that allows the owner of the card + 1 guest.  However, 3 different employees could not come to an agreement on if it's 1 + guest or just one. 

Third, keeping people outside the Live Block for an average of 20 minutes to come spend money INSIDE is just bad business.  I understand they are trying to minimize loitering, but why penalize EVERYONE?

I am aware that you can still get in before 11pm without paying $10, and you can sneak in to bars by paying only $5 and then walking into the Live Block avoiding paying $10 with a credit card etc. 

But, do we have to turn away the out of town Husker fans that were in line behind me wearing camoflauge hunting hats b/c hats weren't allowed??? Also, could you maybe offer people in line who don't understand the dress code the option of "coat checking" their belongings? Or offering them a rentable locker? 

Being a d bag PNL employee does not give you the right to be a d bag to out of towners who are spending money in KC.  Nor does it give you the right to act like a jerk off. 

.... mind you, this is all in the wake of the current recession.

The simple solution is that I won't be spending my money there until this is abolished. 

But they need to get their sh*t straight.  First it was $10, then it was after 11pm, then it was credit/cash on sat. nights only.. blah blah.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think it needs to mature. Sounds like it was a mess this weekend. Skim....I don't think you need to apologize for enjoying p&l