An Open Letter to Kevin Kietzman

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

This seems to be going viral. The guy who tweets as "Fake Ned Yost" wrote and open letter to Kevin Kietzman. His twitter page is actually pretty funny and he makes some pretty good points without being a jerk about it. I guess KK addressed it yesterday but I missed it.

You, sir, have become Don Fortune.  You have become the thing that you once reviled.

Today was the straw that broke the camel?s back, however, when I listened to you at 2:00 talk for 35 minutes about the hygiene ?the odor? of the studio headsets in use at your remote.  I regrettably came to the realization that I have better things to do with my time.

I write this to you today, sir, not with hatred, or ill will.  As I mentioned before, 810 is family.  I have spent countless hours listening to your radio station.  I will continue to listen to The Border Patrol and The Program as my schedule allows.

I did feel compelled, however, to share with you my concerns.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: An Open Letter to Kevin Kietzman

Post by droopy »

Interesting.  That is pretty spot on with my opinions and history of sports talk radio in KC which I listen to in the car.  Wonder what KK said about it.  Did anyone hear it?  I don't really want to go try to find a podcast  :|
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

scheduling your day around listening to kevin kietzman?!?  to each their own, but...wow.  :lol:
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I quit listening years ago...mostly for reasons he posted in addition to he embarrasses me as a ksu alum....and the fact I'm not in a car commuting when he is on
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

droopy wrote: Interesting.  That is pretty spot on with my opinions and history of sports talk radio in KC which I listen to in the car.  Wonder what KK said about it.  Did anyone hear it?  I don't really want to go try to find a podcast  :|
Snippets:

http://www.plattecountylandmark.com/ghall.htm

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

chrizow wrote: scheduling your day around listening to kevin kietzman?!?  to each their own, but...wow.  :lol:
That's what I was thinking.  Maybe he has a life now.  I can't listen to that crap for more than a few minutes.  It's all boring to me.  But all day, every day for years?  And what are people supposed to talk about every day for hours, especially in KC where the the teams don't give you a lot to talk about.

I listened to KK when he was pushing for a downtown ballpark, but even then the station is so Johnson Countish, I couldn't hardly stand it.  All the JoCo people (including KK) ripping on Missouri and Jackson County was enough for me to pretty much never tune in again.  It's 980 only with a sports twist.

Then you have people like this who want to hear KK talk about whatever team they want to hear about 100% of the time.  If you don't like soccer, don't listen when he talks about soccer.

Just change the channel and move on.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

This is the reason, in media, that anyone with ownership should not be allowed to be talent. KK is entrenched, and kowtowed to, because he is an part owner (even thought it's a small percentage).
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KK was only entertaining during that couple weeks when the Big 12 was on the verge of dissolving.  I only listen to Nick Wright now if I'm in the car during that time.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I don't always listen to sports talk radio, but when I do (invariably in the car driving home), I listen to Nick Wright. It's not even really that I like Nick Wright. He kinda seems like a unnecessarily loud, douchey, cocksure asshat a lot of the time. I'm also not convinced he's as smart as he thinks he is. BUT, he's a lot more fun to listen to than KK, Rob Disco, and Danny Parkins combined and multiplied by 100.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

mean wrote: I don't always listen to sports talk radio, but when I do (invariably in the car driving home), I listen to Nick Wright. It's not even really that I like Nick Wright. He kinda seems like a unnecessarily loud, douchey, cocksure asshat a lot of the time. I'm also not convinced he's as smart as he thinks he is. BUT, he's a lot more fun to listen to than KK, Rob Disco, and Danny Parkins combined and multiplied by 100.
Yea, KK's target audience is old white guys that golf. Nick's target audience is 20 year old guys who think farts jokes are comedy gold. I guess Soren's show is in-between and if he had an afternoon show he'd probably clean both of their clocks (I realize he once did and lost to KK, but that was back when 610 was still trying to establish themselves and KK was at his peak).

pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KCMax wrote: Yea, KK's target audience is old white guys that golf. Nick's target audience is 20 year old guys who think farts jokes are comedy gold. I guess Soren's show is in-between and if he had an afternoon show he'd probably clean both of their clocks (I realize he once did and lost to KK, but that was back when 610 was still trying to establish themselves and KK was at his peak).
In fairness, I'm way past 20 and I still think fart jokes are comedy gold. Some things I guess I never grew out of. Also, dick jokes.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Downtowner »

It's strange how much KK is beginning to even LOOK like Don Fortune. He also compares in his super conservative/Johnson County view of the world. Yes, his demographic is the 40 something guy that golfs every weekend. Clinkscale is his liberal foil. Having said that, I think he's good on the radio. I've heard a lot of bad sports talk in other city and 810 is mostly very good.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Downtowner wrote: It's strange how much KK is beginning to even LOOK like Don Fortune. He also compares in his super conservative/Johnson County view of the world. Yes, his demographic is the 40 something guy that golfs every weekend. Clinkscale is his liberal foil. Having said that, I think he's good on the radio. I've heard a lot of bad sports talk in other city and 810 is mostly very good.
Yea, I don't disagree. Even his tired show is 90% better than most of the morons that host sports talk radio shows on the east coast. I guess that's the frustrating thing is at times I think his show can be quite good, but he seemingly ran out of energy or time and seems to phone it in now.

KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

I don't listen to Kietzman, or any of the other sports radio shows, but I did catch his Twitter feed from the opening of Livestrong Park last night.  It was all pretty negative, he's obviously not a futbol fan.  Everyone else I've talked to that went or are soccer fans have all been extremely complimentary of the stadium and over the top enthusiastic about the team.  From what I heard it was a pretty electrifying atmosphere out there last night.  

Maybe if KK had paid more attention to his surroundings instead of tweeting every 2 minutes, he would have had a better time. #SelfAbsorbed
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KC Sporting Life wrote: I don't listen to Kietzman, or any of the other sports radio shows, but I did catch his Twitter feed from the opening of Livestrong Park last night.  It was all pretty negative, he's obviously not a futbol fan.  Everyone else I've talked to that went or are soccer fans have all been extremely complimentary of the stadium and over the top enthusiastic about the team.  From what I heard it was a pretty electrifying atmosphere out there last night.  

Maybe if KK had paid more attention to his surroundings instead of tweeting every 2 minutes, he would have had a better time. #SelfAbsorbed
He doesn't seem to be much of a sports fan other than football. He is constantly complaining about how boring baseball is and how all the rules need to be changed.

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

he is annoying.  more so in the last couple of years than ever before.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze