P&L District: 14th & Main Site Proposal

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
nilsson1941
New York Life
New York Life

Re: P&L District: 14th & Main Site Proposal

Post by nilsson1941 »

Fair point. Still, when I think of Waits fans I think of a whole bunch of painfully normal and boring people going to watch the weirdo. I don't know.

By the way (meaning actually on topic), does the chophouse do enough business to justify this?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I think you better drop the Waits reference all together.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Almost everyone I know who is into Tom Waits is a post-grunge, post-alt-rock, late 20s-early 30s type who probably has or had a nose ring at some point.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCMax wrote: Chophouse is opening up an outdoor cigar lounge at its P&L location

http://economy.kansascity.com/?q=node/10887
Doing an 801 in Leawood might be the best thing to happen to this brand in KC.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/03/19/35 ... ch-20.html
The Power & Light District continues to develop its second-floor spaces, mostly recently opening Hotel Nightclub on the “KC Live” block and now adding a private event space above the Bristol Seafood Grill.

The Gallery, a 9,000-square-foot space, will seat up to 600 people, or it can sectioned off for smaller groups by using a retractable wall. The space has floor-to-ceiling windows on the north side, and a balcony overlooking 14th Street, between Main and Walnut streets, with a view of the downtown skyline. When it opens in July, it also will have a stage, dance floor and projection screen. Bookings will include rehearsal dinners, post-event cocktails, corporate events and meetings, social functions and weddings.

The event space is owned by ECI Inc., which is affiliated with The Cordish Cos., the district’s developers. It also will have its own sales director and manager.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Frans is out....is anybody upset? Love the idea of a 24 hour diner but come on...Dennys serves better food.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

KCPowercat wrote:Frans is out....is anybody upset? Love the idea of a 24 hour diner but come on...Dennys serves better food.
I guess business was too slow on weeknights, but the Dennys across from Bartle isn't open 24/7
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

pstokely wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Frans is out....is anybody upset? Love the idea of a 24 hour diner but come on...Dennys serves better food.
I guess business was too slow on weeknights, but the Dennys across from Bartle isn't open 24/7
I didn't say that one was.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I went a couple times early on when they first opened, and it was just godawful both times. Everything from the service to the food to the state of the place--filthy tables everywhere that stayed filthy the entire time despite an utter lack of business. And it shouldn't take an hour to get faux poutine.

I was astounded by the menu. Nine full pages of stuff! Impressive. Unfortunately it was nine pages full of stuff that didn't sound appetizing, and delivered entirely too successfully on that promise.

Good riddance to bad rubbish, although I do hope whatever replaces it is open 24 hours. That was Fran's one redeeming quality, and in fairness, at 3:20 AM after entirely too many drinks, you don't really care what you're eating. It's the other 24 hours of the day they needed to concentrate on.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Frans is out....is anybody upset?
A little late to the party...but I care. I loved Fran's, for what it was. The service was admittedly pretty awful, particularly the lack of clean tables at times. But I liked the neo-diner aesthetic, the OK food (at times, could be inconsistent), and particularly the 24-7 hours. 2 for 1 drinks in the bar on Sundays! Big plates of breakfast food in P&L all day! Toronto street cred!

I may be the only one, but in my opinion, Fran's will be missed. I too hope whatever goes in can stay 24-7, and improve the food and especially the service.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Fran's space to become BRGR. That place is a hit in PV. I like it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Nice pickup.....still think a 24 hour place has demand around this area. A third Town Topic at like 16th & Walnut maybe????
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Didn't love BRGR after trying really hard several times. Their brunches were always way better than their burgers, which seemed awfully disappointing for a place called BRGR. Hope they kill it in that spot, though. It's great news to have a local going in there, and I will be happy to try it again in spite of my previous unawesome visits to the other location.

Another Town Topic is never a bad idea, but that would put three of them in fairly close proximity.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

And the influx of residential. Just everything around there in a three-mile radius. I wouldn’t call it urban yet but it has made a nice resurgence and headed that way.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/03/28/41 ... rylink=cpy

Wut?
thegeester68
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by thegeester68 »

I'd much rather go to BRGR versus Whopper Bar.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

mean wrote:Didn't love BRGR after trying really hard several times. Their brunches were always way better than their burgers, which seemed awfully disappointing for a place called BRGR. Hope they kill it in that spot, though. It's great news to have a local going in there, and I will be happy to try it again in spite of my previous unawesome visits to the other location.

Another Town Topic is never a bad idea, but that would put three of them in fairly close proximity.
I think its okay, but not for the price. If I'm paying that much I'd prefer Blanc.

Still, good get for P&L. The PV location certainly does well and this is a local restaurant group.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

signage is up. lots of activity inside.

thegeester68
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by thegeester68 »

Outdoor signage and awning signage is now up. Interior was viewable from the street and its very rustic contemporary. I like it!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Opening Monday it appears....soft (free) opening this weekend with reservations.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

mean wrote:Didn't love BRGR after trying really hard several times. Their brunches were always way better than their burgers, which seemed awfully disappointing for a place called BRGR. Hope they kill it in that spot, though. It's great news to have a local going in there, and I will be happy to try it again in spite of my previous unawesome visits to the other location.
Just tried it for first time for lunch with optimism and unfortunately everyone didn't care much for it. A place that calls itself that should kill at least their namesake item. But the meat is low grade, flat, dense and mine came out dry and bland (asked for medium). Everything sounds good on paper but turns out like lipstick on a pig. If they upgrade to good quality angus and better breads, could be tweaked to be doable. Sides are all good but frankly Id rather do Johhny's for heavy Sysco foods.

P&L has a few too many B&Gs. If BRGR killed it, would be ok but is just another pricey B&G and you pay for the decor, not the eats.