Crime up 22 percent in Joco

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Crime up 22 percent in Joco

Post by KCPowercat »

Pretty sure its a fact.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

brewcrew1000 wrote: I assume this is a joke?
It's not a fact, it's an opinion
APRIL FOOLS!!!!
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
redperro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by redperro »

chrizow wrote: with the exception of Devin, no one is really glad to see crime go up.  crime sucks no matter if it takes place in prairie village or 39th and troost. 

JoCo isn't responsible for the decline of urban KCMO, but its antagonistic stance towards the city (due to size, state lines, money/influence, etc.) earns the ire of many people. 

i, however, am an equal opportunity critic.  my disdain for the northland, east jack, and the south burbs is even more virulent than my disdain for johnson county.   :)

i am not sure if there is a metro in america (possibly detroit) that is as ignorant/hostile to the core city as KCMO.  maybe it's the poor city managment over decades, the fact that many people in the metro come from rural locales, i dont know.  but it's palpable and it's sad. 

"all thee way down there, shoo, thats fallajah as far as I'm concerned"

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

we need to get back to those days when riding transit and not being asshats driving 45 minutes on a freeway to get a bowl of iced creammmm
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Home invasion in Lenexa at 95th and Lackman. Time to relocate the family to Miami County to escape all the crime. FEAR!!!!

redperro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by redperro »

mean wrote: I don't know about that. KC's population has remained relatively consistent, so we're in a much different situation than, say, St. Louis.

The phenomenon wasn't necessarily all that much more extreme than anywhere else, but it was hugely exacerbated in KC by a new concept of urban planning: spending phenomenal amouts of money annexing and running infrastructure to distant outlying regions, so people can live there. Unfortunately the opportunity cost of doing that was fixing many of the growing problems in the city, some of which are now of epic proportions.
8)
redperro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by redperro »

KCMax wrote: Home invasion in Lenexa at 95th and Lackman. Time to relocate the family to Miami County to escape all the crime. FEAR!!!!
thee family, needs wholesome values only supplied by a pontiac aztek, giftcards to the local quiznos, and country western music on the car stereo, relocated to miami county IMMEDIANTLY!!

THE HEATHENS ARE APPROACHING!>!>
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Wow, this 2006 quote really sums up KC and is just as valid in 2011 as it was in 1996.
I am not sure if there is a metro in america (possibly detroit) that is as ignorant/hostile to the core city as KC.
It's the main thing about KC that hate and the one thing about KC that makes me ok with not living there.  (It keeps me from missing it as much).  Jump into any debate about the etax online and you will quickly see just how hostile the metro is toward kcmo.

Baltimore makes KCMO look like Paradise IMO and yet I almost never hear anything negative said about the city in this area.  People know it has crime problems etc, but they just sort of ignore it and seem to talk up the good things about the city.

BTW, Baltimore has a 3% etax and I don't think people here bat an eye at it.
ThaMexican
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ThaMexican »

I lived in JOCO for a long time and it is a really good place to live and have a family but I grew bored of it (not saying I will never move back). Anyhow as an outsider and now living in KCMO it is amazing at the amount of comments I get from JOCO residents as why on earth I would live in such a city. The perception of KCMO is that it is a crap hole, at least the people I interact with. I love to see JOCO prosper but not at the expense of seeing taking away business from KCMO with crazy incentives.

I know KCMO has a lot of issues that need fixing and need to change and unless they are fixed the city will go down even more, there is no excuse about that the leadership needs to work on the problems.

And one more thing quite some people i work with would not consider moving north of 75th St because according to them it is ghetto and this to me is a bit concerning cause how long before it really happens because the perception of the area. Then we will have JOCO also struggling to keep their old infrastructure would hate to see it happen.
ThaMexican
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ThaMexican »

Hurst
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Hurst »

Check this too. Right or wrong, the urban preference is in the extreme minority:

http://www.newgeography.com/content/002 ... -withering
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I just chuckle when people said me something idioitic like that. Usually people are more respectful then to say where I live is a POS....even if they do think it.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Johnson County struggles to help a growing number of poor people
The number of children like him in Johnson County doubled between 2008 and 2009 alone, bringing the total number of children living in poverty to nearly 14,000, or one in 10. Travis is sure that when newer statistics are released, those numbers will inflate even more.

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Burglaries In Fairway Unprecedented
Fairway didn't see its first burglary of 2010 until late June and had just six total last year. So far this year, there have been 16, including four on New Year's Day, four on April 15 and most recently four on May 5.

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

I always wondered why Fairway didn't get hit more often. Some of its neighborhoods have $500K+ homes, and it's a relatively quick escape up Roe to 35 and beyond.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Great mugshot. Pity it requires a substance abuse problem in this country for a woman to walk into a bar topless.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
redperro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by redperro »

^^o so true
LaurenKU
Pad site
Pad site

Post by LaurenKU »

KCMax wrote: There's been quite a crime wave in PV over the last year. Not really sure what is spurring it other than maybe the economy and lax security in many PV homes. I would suspect they are probably targeting the community because it is largely elderly, who make for easy target.  I suppose it is a bit alarming because it seems so random.
Largely elderly? No, that's not the reason.

These POS thugs are stealing flat screen tvs, laptops and video game consoles. They are targeting homes where they can drive by at night and see your tv hanging over the mantle. All the young people here have their tv in the same spot. The burglars kick in the front door, run in, rip the tv off the wall, take any other electronics in the front room and are out in about 30 seconds.

I can call them pieces of shit because my house was hit in September. It was a beautiful Monday afternoon, about 2pm. I don't live on a busy street, but we have a ton of stay at home moms who are normally out pushing strollers, our next door neighbors are home all day, my husband works from home most days, but was with clients that afternoon. No one saw anything until my neighbor pushed her stroller past my house and saw the kicked in door.  All they took was the TV, but they did $8500 worth of damage.

Many of the houses still have the original hollow core door, which makes it really easy for them to get in.  And every house has the big windows in front so you can see the tv from the street.

Since we got hit, we've installed full length wood blinds in the front windows, where previously there were just cafe shutters. All the doors have been replaced with super strong steel doors. The front door has a an unbreakable storm door which is now always locked, and our alarm is always set. They're not getting me again.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I keep a face-ripping feral chimpanzee in my house for protection when I'm away.
There is no fifth destination.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Four people tied up at doctor's clinic in Lenexa
Four people were tied up during an armed robbery at a doctor's clinic in Lenexa Wednesday evening.

A spokesman for the Lenexa Police Department said details are sketchy, but it happened just after 7:30 p.m.

Three suspects entered the clinic at 13830 Sante Fe Trail. All were wearing masks, and at least one suspect was carrying a long rifle.

They tied up four clinic workers, and left with an unknown amount of cash.
But did they "scurry back to Missouri"?