Milwaukee opinions?

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Milwaukee opinions?

Post by grovester »

Yep, Iron Horse is probably going to be the next spot.  Got good reviews from the locals.

Loftguy, I'll take your tips!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

brewcrew, do locals actually go to the safehouse?  That place was a bit lame, but seems popular with the locals.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Not many locals i know go to safehouse, i think it's more of a locals take out of towners kind of place.  I've never been in that place before
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

We're trying to decide after this last trip whether Milwaukee is booming compared to 2 years ago or if it's just because we went 2 months later in the season. The 3rd Ward has it all going on, food, retail, new construction and historical rehabs. Try this place for a beer brunch http://www.cafebenelux.com/. A couple of things to like: center lane diagonal parking, broken up by trees and benches, leaving one lane of traffic in each direction. At the crosswalks through all of downtown, the ped walk sign turns a couple of seconds before the car green. Not sure if that's normal, but I've never noticed.

They have a small TJ Maxx downtown, which was nice, as we packed for KC summer and got Milwaukee spring. I can only imagine how much money was saved by not having to by a sweater at the Pfister gift shop.

Surprisingly, the Pfister won out on price when compared to Iron Horse, Metro and the Sheraton in Brookfield. Will try the Iron Horse since it's closer to the 3rd Ward, but it's all walkable in about a 6-8 block area.

Also had dinner at http://www.getbianchini.com/cubanitas-restaurant.html. Nice, small crossroads like restaurant around the corner. Casual, good food, killer mojitos.

Polish Fest was going on, so we got a free fireworks show from our 15th floor room overlooking the lake. Should have had one more drink at the 25th floor martini bar.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Did you ever made it to the East Side like Brady Street, North Avenue, riverwest, or Bayview which is on the South Side of the city along the lake? Lots of walkable shops, restaurants and bars in those areas.

During non events you can sometime land the Aloft downtown using the name your own price on priceline. I did that about a month ago and ended up getting the hotel for 40 plus tax a night.

I saw this article about the Pfister a couple weeks ago, i have known about it for years but it seems like sports writers write a story on this every couple years.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/93155 ... n-magazine
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Thanks for the tips for the next visit. My wife has been on the lookout for the pfister ghost. There were 2 weddings there on Saturday night which made for good people watching at the lobby bar. Two of the brides ended up in the lobby at the same time in full uniform, thought we were going to see bridezillas.