2010-2011 College Basketball Season

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: 2010-2011 College Basketball Season

Post by grovester »

Highlander wrote: He needs to develop better offensive skills to be much of a threat.  He gets a lot of offensive rebounds and put backs off overplay on the Morris twins which makes him look good statisctically but he does not have a good shot nor does he create a shot well.  I haven't been overly impressed with Robinson because he is kind of one dimensional but he is a great rebounder and everyone needs that type of player.  I thought it was knee surgery he was having?
I agree with everything you said, I think the progress shown this season is enough to feel hopeful about next.  As with Aldrich 2 years ago, late/post season may be the indicator.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KU's Tyshawn Taylor suspended indefinitely.  :x
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Yikes, let the meltdown begin.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCMax wrote: KU's Tyshawn Taylor suspended indefinitely.  :x
Good.  It'll give Josh a chance to shine a little bit more, and see if he can start carrying more of the load before March.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

kcmetro wrote: Good.  It'll give Josh a chance to shine a little bit more, and see if he can start carrying more of the load before March.
Not if Josh can't make it to shootaround. Props to Elijah Johnson for taking advantage of Josh's blunder - the guy looked great and you could see his confidence build as the game went on. Would be nice to see another scoring option emerge for March. And I feel more confident having Elijah handle it against a press team like Mizzou.

Meanwhile Selby seems to regress every week. He really looks clueless on the court at times.

I thought last night was prime for an upset. I know OSU hasn't played well this year, but they have strong, athletic bigs and a deep threat in Page who lit up KU in the past. But KU really exploited the Cowboys well and had an outstanding offensive gameplan.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

EJ is my favorite hawk. Any player that can run enough smack to get T'd up when his team is getting blown out has my vote.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

KCPowercat wrote: EJ is my favorite hawk. Any player that can run enough smack to get T'd up when his team is getting blown out has my vote.
That was a pretty sick dunk.  I'll give him that.  Don't often see a guard throw down a one handed alley-oop.  But yeah, pretty much negated it by talking shit when down by 20. 

Cats have NU tomorrow night.  should be interesting.  The good doctor always has a few tricks up his sleeve. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Huggy bear is coming back. West Virginia has agreed to play KSU in Wichita for next season.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/02/22/26 ... -face.html

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Sometimes I don't get Self's rationale in establishing the rotation for KU.  E Johnson was pretty impressive last night but he's been on the court precious few minutes so far this year.  Taylor has been spotty at best but he's the unchallenged point guard.  I don't think Johnson handles the ball and drives quite as well as Taylor but he seems to make fewer stupid mistakes and he shoots very well.  At the end of his sophomore season, he's getting his first real chance to play. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Highlander wrote: Sometimes I don't get Self's rationale in establishing the rotation for KU.  E Johnson was pretty impressive last night but he's been on the court precious few minutes so far this year.  Taylor has been spotty at best but he's the unchallenged point guard.   I don't think Johnson handles the ball and drives quite as well as Taylor but he seems to make fewer stupid mistakes and he shoots very well.  At the end of his sophomore season, he's getting his first real chance to play. 
Tyshawn has some pretty awesome physical ability. When he puts it together, he can be close to unstoppable - reminds me a bit of Keith Langford with his length and ability to hang in the air. But he never puts it together for more than a play or two. I think they were hoping a light came on and he put it all together and matured, but this is probably the last of his chances as far as getting major PT. He just got Wally Pipped (Self even mentioned Wally Pipp).

I wasn't that high on EJ but you can see progress over the course of the year. I don't have a huge beef with how they handled him. And hey, he'll have fresh legs for March.

I am a bit worried about how Selby's confidence has to be taking a hit. I guess we'll find out whether he rises to the challenge or goes Wally Judge on us.

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCMax wrote: I am a bit worried about how Selby's confidence has to be taking a hit. I guess we'll find out whether he rises to the challenge or goes Wally Judge on us.
Selby's problem's are really two-fold; I think he sees that one and done season he expected slipping away and he's just pressing too hard.  You can see it over the last few televised games (KU's been on a lot down here but it helps to have a full suite of ESPN).  Always a little selfish since his debut, his shot selection has gotten worse and his percentage has dropped off considerably.  The other problem is more fundamental, he just doesn't dribble the ball that well with the left hand and that makes it hard for him to assume the point guard role and to be the driver/slasher he was known as in HS.  If college defenders know where you going (he's going right), it's going to be tough to get there.  I don't think he'll Wally Judge, as mediocre as he's been lately, it's probably somewhat better than Judge was his freshman year. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

That's a really good assessment.

Yea, I didn't mean he'll quit, just that he may be a blue chipper that doesn't live up to the hype at all. Probably too much hyperbole on my part.

TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Word is that Tyshawn Taylor and Marisha Brown were caught boning in the locker room on camera.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Word is that Tyshawn Taylor and Marisha Brown were caught boning in the locker room on camera.
Cameras in locker rooms are kind of creepy.  I think this rumor is just born from the fact that they were suspended at relatively the same time. 
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Highlander wrote: Cameras in locker rooms are kind of creepy.  I think this rumor is just born from the fact that they were suspended at relatively the same time. 
I didn't hear it come out of Bill Self's mouth so it's not 100% but it's definitely more than just a rumor.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

source?
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

A-
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Good win by Mizzou tonight against Baylor.  I was worried about this one....during the game I started wondering why I was ever worried.  Could there be a worse coached team than Baylor?  Their carelessness with the ball against an opportunistic team like Mizzou was unbelievable, it was like they didn't even know they were going to be playing  a pressing and trapping team.  They often put the ball in the hands of bigs and let them try to bring the ball up the court without any help with disastrous consequences.  Good athletes and potentially good players, horrible team effort.  It was really painful to watch, it would have been even a bigger blow out had Mizzou not been careless as well.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

That Baylor team reminded me of the 2005 Mizzou team with Quin Snyder. 
KC is the way to be!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Fairly large game looming saturday tiger fans. What do you think?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc