Plaza riot?

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Plaza riot?

Post by Downtowner »

I wish they had ransacked the Thomas Kinkade Gallery
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Downtowner wrote: I wish they had ransacked the Thomas Kinkade Gallery
Bah - no worries - I am sure they have thousands more "limited editions" back in the storage rooms "just in case" the ones out front get damaged.  :lol:
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: How long before we inevitably see some pack of suburban white kids coppying this fad, either on the plaza or some place else? 
What makes you think white kids would organize something like this?  White kids don't look cool rioting.  :lol:
Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Downtowner »

The whole episode sounds like a copycat of what's happening on the east coast (where it's much more advanced and dangerous). These flash mobs have been reported in the NY Times - http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/25/us/25mobs.html

The situation in Philly is bad. Here is an excerpt from their paper on an incident last month:
Business owners yesterday called on Mayor Nutter to stop "flash mobs" on South Street after patrons couldn't shop, dine or get home on Saturday night because of the hordes of teens roaming the neighborhood.

Inspired by Twitter messages to "come to South Street," police say hundreds - business owners say thousands - of young teens stampeded down South Street in waves, jumping on top of cars, knocking over pedestrians and fighting and cursing.

"It was like a tsunami wave," said a store employee.

"The cops were overwhelmed," said a store manager.

The South Street business owners called on Nutter to impose a curfew of 10 p.m. or earlier after frightened managers locked their doors, only allowing customers inside.

Nutter did not return calls last night.

Saturday's was the sixth flash mob to hit the city since last May: three on South Street; two in the Gallery, including one that spread to Macy's; and one along Market Street East that spread to the area near City Hall.

Several store owners and managers documented the stampede with cell phones or store surveillance tape.

A pizza shop owner said that some in the mob were chanting, "Black Boys!" and "Burn the city."

One youth was overheard on his cell phone saying: "Bring baseball bats to South Street."

After enduring months of street construction during a recession, then one snowstorm after another, business owners were delighted that customers had returned to South Street to shop, eat and stroll on the first day of spring.

But the mood turned ominous as more and more teens showed up by 8 p.m. Between 9 and 10 p.m. the packed crowds reached a crescendo, according to police officials who deployed highway patrol, narcotics strike force and other units to assist officers on South Street. A parent, who had seen a text message or a post on Facebook, alerted police about the potential flash mob.

By 9 p.m., Yee Chau, manager of eModa, a clothing store, on South near 3rd, said "It was total mayhem. Kids were out of control. They were wall-to-wall. You couldn't see the sidewalks."

One armed owner, who showed the Daily News his gun permit, protected his business by standing outside with five assistants.

At Supper, a restaurant in the 900 block, bartender Kyle Fennie opened the locked door to let two woman customers out, but a mass of teens descended, and he let the women back inside. During a lull, he walked them to their cars.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KCRag should organize a flash mob of zombies to spontaneously converge on the Plaza at 8:00 pm on a Saturday. There should also be a bunch of non-zombie players in on it that the zombies can "attack" who will then rise from the "dead" and shamble off. Also, we'd need at least 4 or 5 people with camcorders to document at several key intersections. By 8:10 or 8:15, everyone in on the mob has disappeared...

Be a lot more entertaining than a bunch of unruly idiot teenagers.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I long for the days of teen drag racing.
There is no fifth destination.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

a 10pm curfew for under 18-year olds at the Plaza, Westport, P&L, etc wouldn't solve the problem?
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

FangKC wrote:I long for the days of teen drag racing.
We should bring it back! Except I vote that we make it teenage guys racing on foot in dresses.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: a 10pm curfew for under 18-year olds at the Plaza, Westport, P&L, etc wouldn't solve the problem?
Any reason they can't gather and tear shit up at 9PM instead? 
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

mean wrote: We should bring it back! Except I vote that we make it teenage guys racing on foot in dresses.
I'm on board.
There is no fifth destination.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Any reason they can't gather and tear shit up at 9PM instead? 
:D
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

FangKC wrote: I long for the days of teen drag racing.
East Bottoms baby! Run what ya brung. Down on the "new" streets before the office park was built.
Saw some darn fine races back then. Deserted too, with the exception of the deer, racoons and stray cats.

Sportster
...them were da days i tell ya
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kcmetro wrote: What makes you think white kids would organize something like this?  White kids don't look cool rioting.   :lol:
Because its apparently the bad ass, "I am a hard son-of-a-bitch", thing to do - since when have high school aged kids needed a better reason than that?  I would wager that there is an element in damn near every high school in the country who would think an organized fight/shit-tearing-up event sounds like a good idea.  Plus there might be chicks there.   I think you are kidding yourself if you think white suburban kids are all immune to this attraction.  
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Agreed..but in all fairness these "flash mobs" have involved predominately young blacks.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Any reason they can't gather and tear shit up at 9PM instead? 
they'd still be in their movie.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: they'd still be in their movie.
Are you planning to chain them to the seats?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

NDTeve wrote: Agreed..but in all fairness these "flash mobs" have involved predominately young blacks.
So far . . .
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: So far . . .
Are you involved in planning one?
- Mark Twain
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

KCPowercat wrote: this will obviously die down now...kids had their fun now there is too much attention down there.
Until those darned kids change next weeks brawl to a Thursday  :o  The KCPD would be stymied!!
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Are you planning to chain them to the seats?
Since when do teenagers go to movies that start before 7:30?