TSC Renovations

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: TSC Renovations

Post by NDTeve »

Pretty shitty finished product. Agree with Lenexa on the white KC on blue. Reminds me of those terrible gangster white Royals hats..
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Hopefully for the 2010 season they went back and fixed some of the cosmetic items they seemed to overlook, like cracked/broken concrete steps, leaking/rusted pipes and the dirt hill on the east side of the stadium.  I'm still disappointed in the overall renovation.  For another $100m, we could of had a brand new, sparkling dt ballpark.
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
gsmith601
Pad site
Pad site

Post by gsmith601 »

I can't believe Minnesota approached $600 million on thier park and could not get a retractable roof included.

Greg
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

gsmith601 wrote: I can't believe Minnesota approached $600 million on thier park and could not get a retractable roof included.
A $600 million park that looks remarkably like a clone of The New K from many angles. 

With outdoor parks in Detroit, Minneapolis, and Cleveland, the AL central needs to consolidate its season to May-September just to avoid all the snow. 
gsmith601
Pad site
Pad site

Post by gsmith601 »

A columnist here in Omaha, Tom Shatel, toured Target Field.  Said it's an improvement (obviously) over the Metrodome but did say there's nothing that really distinguishes it from any of the other new fields that have opened in the post Camden era.

Greg
dublin
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by dublin »

gsmith601 wrote: A columnist here in Omaha, Tom Shatel, toured Target Field.  Said it's an improvement (obviously) over the Metrodome but did say there's nothing that really distinguishes it from any of the other new fields that have opened in the post Camden era.

Greg
I think the only real thing that distinguishes a one post-Camden park from the other anymore is the view that is framed in the outfield and the experience outside the stadium. 
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

My reaction to Minute Maid Park: "Ooh, it looks retro, cool"

My reaction to new Busch: "Ooh, it looks retro, cool"

My reaction to the new upgrades to US Cellular: "Ooh, it looks retro, updated version of Kauffman, cool"

My reaction to Miller Park: "Roof's pretty big, but at least it looks retro!"

Seriously, teams wanting to turn their stadium into generic retro-style malls has become a terrible mark on the game.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

What is the final cost of Target Field? I have seen several diffrent price tags ranging from $522 million to $640 million.
gsmith601
Pad site
Pad site

Post by gsmith601 »

I did listen to a podcast of Soren's show on 810.  He's disputing that when Glass sells the team about whether or not they can make a profit.

Greg
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

My understanding was he could make a profit as long as the team stayed local. If he sold it to an out of town interest, with the intention of moving the franchise, he could not profit. Seams pretty easy to skirt that issue.

Personally I think he made the renovation price tag so ridiculously high that he thought "there is no way anyone will vote for this boondoggle". Expecting it to fail he could get out of the lease. Sell to a owner that "promised" not to move the team but would have an out if he couldn't come to new lease terms with the city.

Glass's plan fell apart when my fellow idiots in JackCo passed that stupid tax. And to add insult to injury, they didn't pass the rolling roof.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

^^^IMO KC got away with a nice renovation that was pretty cheap compared to the price tags on some of these new ballparks.^^^
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

TheSmokinPun wrote: My reaction to Minute Maid Park: "Ooh, it looks retro, cool"

My reaction to new Busch: "Ooh, it looks retro, cool"

My reaction to the new upgrades to US Cellular: "Ooh, it looks retro, updated version of Kauffman, cool"

My reaction to Miller Park: "Roof's pretty big, but at least it looks retro!"

Seriously, teams wanting to turn their stadium into generic retro-style malls has become a terrible mark on the game.
Not only that, some of them like Minute Maid Park in Houston, just are not nice stadiums.  I kind of felt like I was in a huge refurbished warehouse or part of some kind of a massive Disney Studio.  The place just doesn't feel right; if it's going to be retro, make it look retro not some cheap modern design that attempts a retro feel. 
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

Highlander wrote: Not only that, some of them like Minute Maid Park in Houston, just are not nice stadiums.  I kind of felt like I was in a huge refurbished warehouse or part of some kind of a massive Disney Studio.  The place just doesn't feel right; if it's going to be retro, make it look retro not some cheap modern design that attempts a retro feel.   
I felt like I was in Bank One Ballpark (airplane hanger) with a train.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

mykem wrote: ^^^IMO KC got away with a nice renovation that was pretty cheap compared to the price tags on some of these new ballparks.^^^
They also got away with a small fraction of the attendance bump teams that build new stadiums typically enjoy.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
gsmith601
Pad site
Pad site

Post by gsmith601 »

As more and more teams moved into look alike retro stadiums the attendance bump has not been what it was in years past, and it did not last as long.  The Twins will be the exception because of what they are moving out of.

Greg
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

http://www.delish.com/food-fun/baseball ... m-hot-dogs

Is this good? Not sure what blue cheese has to do with KC, but....
Any Italian Sausages served at Kaufmann these days?
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

bbqboy wrote:

They should replace this with an illegal sonoran dog!

Oops- looks like the Angels got it first!
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

bbqboy wrote: Image

I had the Kansas City Dog last Thursday, wish the Swiss cheese would have been melted and the bun was pretty cold, but other than that, pretty good. The new hot dog carts are great, little high in price though with no option without the chips.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

gsmith601 wrote: As more and more teams moved into look alike retro stadiums the attendance bump has not been what it was in years past, and it did not last as long.  The Twins will be the exception because of what they are moving out of.

Greg
Target Field is not a retro ball park.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

MidtownCat wrote: Target Field is not a retro ball park.

I was going to comment on that too.  Just seeing it on ESPN, did not look retro, but did look very nice.  I don't have a problem with retro, but if someone were to build retro, it needs to fit into an existing city block with odd angles and upper deck supports that obscure the view for fans sittingbehind them.