beer.

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: beer.

Post by Sportster »

If there's been a previouis post to this, please forgive me and indulge me.

Got a nice surprise at Costco a couple of weeks back when I picked up a case of their Kirkland Micro sampler. For a little under $19.00 for the case I figured how could I go wrong. When I got home, I checked out the brewery of record for it and low and behold...they're a product of Matt Brewery in Utica New York! :shock: :shock: :shock: 8) 8)

Dubbed "Panther Piss" by some of the older locals in the Utica/Rome/Syracuse area it's really come around.

There was no Ginny Cream (or like brew) in the sampler, but there was a six-pack each of the Amber, Pale, Brown and a Wheat/Pilsner.
So, without shilling for Saranac /Matt Brewery, pickin this up at Costco is a good way to sample some award winning upstate New York brews for not alot of dough!
http://www.saranac.com/

Enjoy!

Sportster
...and remember, drink irresponsibly!  :lol:
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

Weird. You've got me intrigued where ours in the PNW are bottled at. A trip to Costco is in order. :cheers:
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by zlohban »

I sampled another Weston Brew last night; following is their description.

O'Malley's Irish Style Bitter (ISB) is our own take on English ESB.  Amber to red in color, this ale isn't wanting for malt or hops.  Take a step back in time with this traditional bitter.

I really enjoyed this one, it reminded me of New Belgium "2 Below". For me a hoppy brew never tastes good after drinking another style of beer nor does another style taste good after a hoppy beer.  So if I pick a bitter hoppy brew I stick with it for the night.

Anyway I highly recommend Weston's ISB and Festival brews.

http://www.westonirish.com/BREWS.html
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I tried the costco/kirkland beer when it first appeared.  Found it extremely unremarkable and disapointing - and I usually shill for all the kirkland products.  Quite the opposite of the wines I have tried with thier label - those have all been remarkably good.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

midtown wrote: Yeah, my impression of The Dark Truth was a nondescript imperial stout (it's around 9% if I remember right).  Tasty for sure, but nothing to distinguish it from, say, an Old Rasputin.
exactly.  the dark truth stout is tasty enough, and packs a punch, but it isn't distinctive in any way.  i believe i paid $6.69 for it at cosentinos though, which isn't terrible for a 750ml.  i would get it again.  i really like the dry stout though, for an easy-drinker, and $6.69 pays for a 6-pack of that.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Boulevard's Boss Tom's Bock is out in six packs now. I think it's just the Maibock in bottles, but it's highly drinkable. Great seasonal beer for springtime drinking.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I tried it from a friend's glass last night, and I couldn't detect a flavor at all. I'll have to get my own glass to be sure.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

bahua wrote: I tried it from a friend's glass last night, and I couldn't detect a flavor at all. I'll have to get my own glass to be sure.
Did you drink off the top or are you giving us a review of your buddy's flavorless backwash?  :lol:
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

bahua wrote: I tried it from a friend's glass last night, and I couldn't detect a flavor at all. I'll have to get my own glass to be sure.
I think it's the same as it was the past few years.

Would definitely give it the courtesy of a full bottle. Nothing generally tastes like it should after just one sip - especially if you're drinking a stronger-tasting beer at the time.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Did you drink off the top or are you giving us a review of your buddy's flavorless backwash?   :lol:
My backwash is packed with flavor!
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

voltopt wrote: My backwash is packed with flavor!
You guys are starting to make me a little uneasy.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

It's his backwash that has the strong flavour. It drowned out the beer.
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

SCORE!!!!!! 8) 8)

Just snagged the last 4 six packs (that'd be a case) of Bolevard Irish from the Front Street Quik Trip.
WOOT!
Be some smooth drinkin here tonight boys!

Sportster
...hot diggety dang!
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

QUESTION:  Why is the "best before" date on the seasonal brews significantly shorter than the year-round brews?  For example...I bought Nutcracker and Single Wide IPA on the same day in late December.  I have one bottle of each left and the Nutcracker "expired" in January and the IPA has until June or July...What's up???
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Slappy the Wang wrote: QUESTION:   Why is the "best before" date on the seasonal brews significantly shorter than the year-round brews?  For example...I bought Nutcracker and Single Wide IPA on the same day in late December.  I have one bottle of each left and the Nutcracker "expired" in January and the IPA has until June or July...What's up???
It's marketing.  Reinforces perception of seasonality.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Isn't an IPA, by design, supposed to have a longer shelf life?
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

yes Chingon, IPAs were designed to make the trip from Britain, around Africa and to India. The extra hops are a preservative.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

ColumbusParkian wrote: yes Chingon, IPAs were designed to make the trip from Britain, around Africa and to India. The extra hops are a preservative.
Thanks.  I never knew the origin of the India term in India Pale Ale and I even lived in the UK for several years.
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

zlohban wrote: I sampled another Weston Brew last night; following is their description.

O'Malley's Irish Style Bitter (ISB) is our own take on English ESB.  Amber to red in color, this ale isn't wanting for malt or hops.  Take a step back in time with this traditional bitter.

I really enjoyed this one, it reminded me of New Belgium "2 Below". For me a hoppy brew never tastes good after drinking another style of beer nor does another style taste good after a hoppy beer.  So if I pick a bitter hoppy brew I stick with it for the night.

Anyway I highly recommend Weston's ISB and Festival brews.

http://www.westonirish.com/BREWS.html

I picked up the O'Malleys "Pack o' Craic" six pack at Brookside Market the other day.  Great stuff.  The ISB is delicious and I really enjoyed the Festival Ale as well.  The six pack is made up of 2 bottles each of the ISB, the Festival Ale, and the Emerald Lager.  I haven't had the lager yet. 
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by zlohban »

Help, looking for a bar near Waldo that serves hamburgers with wasabi slaw on top.  I bet they have good beer too since this is a beer conversation.