Wireless Modem/Router (All in One)

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
kuslamb
New York Life
New York Life

Wireless Modem/Router (All in One)

Post by kuslamb »

I want to get a new modem/router combo.  I have seen quite a few of these on the web and was wondering if anyone has any experience (positive or negative) with them.  Also, I am on TimeWarner downtown, if that matters. 

Our router is pretty old and we are want to tuck it away as we are making room for a baby in our previous office/2nd bedroom. 

Any thoughts or recommendations would be great.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Wireless Modem/Router (All in One)

Post by mean »

I'm not sure whether Time Warner is going to be too keen on letting a foreign modem on their network. They might, but I've never tried. I'm pretty sure you'll at least need to call them and get your new device's MAC cleared.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
kuslamb
New York Life
New York Life

Post by kuslamb »

mean wrote: I'm not sure whether Time Warner is going to be too keen on letting a foreign modem on their network. They might, but I've never tried. I'm pretty sure you'll at least need to call them and get your new device's MAC cleared.
Per their customer support chat folks, these are approved for their network:

http://help.rr.com/HMSFaqs/e_rr_modems. ... 20Services

The NetGear stuff listed are all combo units.  I think I am going to give it an attempt.  Again, per their guy, it should not require any additional steps other than plugging it in (I will obviously secure on my laptop).
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

If you buy one or Time Warner has options, be sure to check the reviews on CNET.  AT&T uses a Motorola that broke after 18 months.  Of course, the warranty was only for a year.  I also bought a Belkin wireless that was a piece of junk.