Parkville Commercial Underground

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Parkville Commercial Underground

Post by AJoD »

Just now by searching (via Google) I found a few oblique references to this development on the forum, but not much.  My wife and kids happened to be driving around exploring this afternoon and happened upon this large commercial development on the university campus built mostly underground into the side of a hill.

Maybe this is such a known quantity to everyone who lives here so as not to warrant comment, but it sounded pretty cool to me, and the kind of under-the-radar development that the folks who frequent the forum but are maybe newer to the area may be unaware of.

From what my wife has said, pictures on this site don't really do it justice:

http://www.park.edu/pcu/index.shtml

Since this is all hearsay, I should also point out she found the idea of working there weird and creepy.
Jeff
Pad site
Pad site

Re: Parkville Commercial Underground

Post by Jeff »

There are several underground facilities like this in the KC area. It does seem a little creepy to drive into one but once you're in the offices and warehouses inside, you don't notice it so much. Worlds of Fun and Oceans of Fun are undercut by one of the largest in the area.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Due to my job I have to spend time in one of these caves. It's kind of neat, but at night when everyone is gone it can be extremely creepy.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The Park University Library is in an excavated cave.  Nothing wierd or creepy about it.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Kansas City is ranked first in the nation for underground storage space, and claims the largest underground business facility in the world.
There is no fifth destination.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

There is also space by Lees' Summit RD just north of Lakewood Hospital, and space by Bannister and Holmes.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

Is all the Surplus food still stored in KCK?