Grinnell

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Grinnell

Post by bbqboy »

Did anyone here go to Grinnell, or have friends of family who did/do? A friend's daughter is interested, but parents know nothing about Iowa.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Grinnell

Post by dangerboy »

I went to Drake, not Grinnell.  Iowa is a nice, safe place for them to send their daughter to school. The college is known for being a granola/hippie bastion in the middle of the Midwest.  Academically, it's a great school with a very strong focus on liberal arts education.  Socially, it's tiny, isolated town.  She will get to know Iowa City and Des Moines quite well.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

dangerboy wrote: I went to Drake, not Grinnell.  Iowa is a nice, safe place for them to send their daughter to school. The college is known for being a granola/hippie bastion in the middle of the Midwest.  Academically, it's a great school with a very strong focus on liberal arts education.  Socially, it's tiny, isolated town.  She will get to know Iowa City and Des Moines quite well.
What he said ^^^ - I went to Drake as well. Ventured to Grinnell a few times - they usually pulled in some pretty good speakers. Saw William F Buckley there once, and a few others.

It is the quintessential midwest, small town, liberal arts college. Great little campus and a nice little town. First rate academics from what I understand - great reputation. Nothing to do and no trouble to get in. 
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

WSPanic wrote: Nothing to do and no trouble to get in. 
Except for the usual small town vices like drinking, sex, and weed.  Just like high school!
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

If possible, it's best for the parents & child to visit.  I remember when my daughter went to visit Macalester in St Paul.  She got off the the plane in mid-April and it was snowing heavily.  That killed it for a California girl.

Often schools will have alum groups, so they should see if there is one in KC. The school should be able to refer them to kids in KC who attend Grinnell.  It's always a good idea to ask what the student(s) don't like about the school.  No place is perfect.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

mlind wrote: If possible, it's best for the parents & child to visit.  I remember when my daughter went to visit Macalester in St Paul.  She got off the the plane in mid-April and it was snowing heavily.  That killed it for a California girl.

Often schools will have alum groups, so they should see if there is one in KC. The school should be able to refer them to kids in KC who attend Grinnell.  It's always a good idea to ask what the student(s) don't like about the school.  No place is perfect.
Except we're in Southern Oregon, but good ideas otherwise.
I notice a friend from high school  is now a noted bug doctor after having gone there for his undergraduate work.
Maybe I'll get hold of him. Jeff Goldblum? :lol:
http://www.entsoc.org/resources/press_r ... ellows.htm
Last edited by bbqboy on Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

Hey, I also went to Drake.  Smart bunch around here as I've always suspected....  :P

I do not know a tremendous amount about Grinnell, but did consider it while I was looking at schools.  It depends upon what kind of focus you are looking for I think.  It's very liberal, and a lot of academic types come out of here.  Looking at B schools, I felt Drake was a better choice for my situation.  I went to visit the campus with my parents on national coming out week, and my dad's jaw didn't leave the ground the entire time.  :lol:  Everyone that goes there clearly loves it and many are very successful and continue to support the school, as the college's endowment is enormous.  Personally, I think Grinnell is a great little town, we have a large client there we deal with, but might be tough to live due to limited options, depending upon interests.....
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

My sister's best friend went to school there.  The short of it is that the school is, as mentioned, very liberal, but also a very good school.  Not really much to do in town, and the locals kinda resent the students' being there.  If you are interested in a small, unique school, where you will get a lot of attention and opportunity, it is a good option.  My sister's friend ended up in Iowa City a lot.
omenapt
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by omenapt »

My great grandfather was president

Dan Freeman Bradley?..1902-05
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

bbqboy wrote: Except we're in Southern Oregon, but good ideas otherwise.
I notice a friend from high school  is now a noted bug doctor after having gone there for his undergraduate work.
Maybe I'll get hold of him. Jeff Goldblum? :lol:
http://www.entsoc.org/resources/press_r ... ellows.htm
I would contact the admissions office to see if there are any alums in your area.  Some schools have video tours on their web sites.  Depending on where you live in Oregon, your child will have a bit of culture shock.  I did when I went from KC to California.  My daughter went from Berkeley CA to Middletown CT, a town that didn't even have a movie theater.  But her life revolved around the school and her friends, so it really didn't matter. 

My daugher's cousin went to Grinnell in the 90's and is now a well-know old-time fiddler.

A realistic bit of advice: if she ends up at Grinnell, wait until she gets there to get a good winter coat.  No such thing could be found in California.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

If possible you really ought to visit the college in person.  It's OK to research them online and through personal contacts to decide if it's worth applying, but you there is no substitute for a real visit before deciding to enroll.
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

dangerboy wrote: If possible you really ought to visit the college in person.  It's OK to research them online and through personal contacts to decide if it's worth applying, but you there is no substitute for a real visit before deciding to enroll.
Totally agree, especially since this will be a huge change.  Aside from if criteria match up on paper, she will just know if she feels it is a good fit.....
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

It is best to bite the bullet and spend the money and time to visit.  After all, it's four years and a lot of money, so you want your child to be happy.

I went to a school I'd never visited and spent four unhappy years there. 
midtown
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by midtown »

I have a friend who lived in Grinnell and went to school there.  I get the impression from visiting that it's a great school with a beautiful campus in a town where there's little else to do.  Take that for what you will.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

midtown wrote: I have a friend who lived in Grinnell and went to school there.  I get the impression from visiting that it's a great school with a beautiful campus in a town where there's little else to do.  Take that for what you will.
Generally, schools in small towns with nothing going on try to compensate with an active campus life.  The solution is for your child to actively join in and find his/her niche. My daughter's life revolved around the swim team.