Livestrong Sporting Park

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Wizards could ditch Bannister site in favor of Wyandotte County

Post by KCMax »

KCPowercat wrote: People don't love KCK....they love that one development.  Ask any of those who "love" it if they have even been east of 90th street and visited any of those businesses.  99%...no freaking way, it's "scary" there.
That's exactly what I meant. People would embrace a Bannister site development if it was done right, despite the rep.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kanasalumn
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kanasalumn »

I am getting tired of this shit. I live in JOCO, and I am barly making it by.  Us JOCO's all not uppity shit here.  I do not care if my fucking post gets deleted b/c I am getting tired of this shit around here that JOCO fucking sucks.  Tired of it.  I like to come on here to see what is going on in the metro, and there are people here bad mouth JOCO, madmouth this and that.  Not all JOCO's are rich.  there are some in JOCO who are making less than 50k a year like my self.  I am making $40k even with my wife.    Yes the median is around 75k, and and there many of  use in JOCO making less than 50k.  We just chose to live in JOCO.  I grew up in JOCO, and yes I grew up with the median salary, but I have a sense of mind on how to live. 

enough.

now lets get back to the fucking topic in hand, the Wizards.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

kanasalumn wrote: I am getting tired of this shit. I live in JOCO, and I am barly making it by.   Us JOCO's all not uppity shit here.  I do not care if my fucking post gets deleted b/c I am getting tired of this shit around here that JOCO fucking sucks.  Tired of it.  I like to come on here to see what is going on in the metro, and there are people here bad mouth JOCO, madmouth this and that.   Not all JOCO's are rich.  there are some in JOCO who are making less than 50k a year like my self.  I am making $40k even with my wife.    Yes the median is around 75k, and and there many of  use in JOCO making less than 50k.  We just chose to live in JOCO.   I grew up in JOCO, and yes I grew up with the median salary, but I have a sense of mind on how to live.   

enough.

now lets get back to the fucking topic in hand, the Wizards.
Great post.  Its alright to let everyone know that you're human.  Joco Bashing is really uncalled for anymore.  Wyco bashing..on the other hand...is just fine by me.  I live for the day that Village West closes its doors (JK!).  Anyways, don't let other people get to you that much...its something that's always going to happen (the bashing) and there's only so much you can do.  Just look at how everyone outside of the KCMO area bashes KC for being a "Cow Town".  NY, LA, Chicago...they all do it.  Its just part of life for us here.

Think (One) KC!
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

JoCo brings it on themselves.  They deserve all the bashing they get.  If so many people out there were not such pricks, the rest of the metro would have more respect for the area.  I just feel for the people that are not like that and have to be grouped with those people.

I mean people in the Northland and Lee's Summit don't even care for the "JoCo attitude".  There is a problem there that a lot of people simply won't accept as reality.  If so many people have issues with one area of town, there is something causing said friction...
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

GRID wrote: JoCo brings it on themselves.  They deserve all the bashing they get.  If so many people out there were not such pricks, the rest of the metro would have more respect for the area.  I just feel for the people that are not like that and have to be grouped with those people.

I mean people in the Northland and Lee's Summit don't even care for the "JoCo attitude".  There is a problem there that a lot of people simply won't accept as reality.  If so many people have issues with one area of town, there is something causing said friction...
Are you really telling us that Maryland doesn't hate Virginia doesn't hate DC?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

bbqboy wrote: Are you really telling us that Maryland doesn't hate Virginia doesn't hate DC?
You should come to Houston.  The suburbanites hate the city; many of them, hundreds of thousands if not more, never go into even the most peripheral parts of the city.  As far as suburbs go, Johnson County is a bright shining star on an otherwise pitch black night compared to the Houston burbs.  Sugarland is actually OK but Tomball, Cypress and Katy and many more (all cities that are as rich if not richer than JoCo) are the most bland poorly thought through abomination of cities in America. 

Nope, by the standards I am used to, Johnson County is a pretty stellar suburb.  I just wish they did more collectively to support KCMO (privately, I suspect most of KC's institutions that rely on charity are dominated by Johnson County contributions). 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

bbqboy wrote: Are you really telling us that Maryland doesn't hate Virginia doesn't hate DC?
There is some friction, but it's NOTHING Like the JoCo vs KCMO thing.  People seem to respect each other.  I have talked to so many people about where to live it's not even funny and I have NEVER heard one person say I should live in one area over the other, they all simply say live where you have the shortest commute, VA and MD are pretty much the same.  Now some like one area over the other, but they won't put the other down in any way like JoCo people do (many out there think JoCo is the ONLY place to live in KC, suburban or urban, the rest is crap).  

Now everybody says to stay away from certain areas due to crime etc.

I'm telling you.  It's not the same.

That's my experience anyway.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

GRID wrote:That's my experience anyway.
I don't think any other suburban/urban divide is going to match your perception of the JoCo/KCMO divide, because you've built it up to this epic singular thing in your head.  As someone who has lived in other suburban areas before coming to KC, there isn't much that is extraordinary about the JoCo/KCMO thing, and I haven't heard or seen anything particularly extreme compared to the way St. Louis suburbanites think of urban St. Louis, or many average New Yorkers who don't live in the fancy parts of Manhattan and Brooklyn think about "the city".  This country, as a rule, has been favoring suburban growth and investment over urban regeneration for the past few decades.  The only cities that have been able to fight the tide have been those with large immigration and/or large enough urban areas that even though entire sections of the city can go to hell (i.e South Bronx, North Philly) other parts can continue functioning relatively well.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

^ that's fine.  I don't really want to talk about JoCo.  My opinion is it's worse in KC than most towns.  (I have lived in StL).  The state line seems to take it to the next level.  But that's my opinion.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Highlander wrote: Sugarland is actually OK but Tomball, Cypress and Katy and many more (all cities that are as rich if not richer than JoCo)....
Come on Highlander! Not this! Not now!  ](*,)

First off, JOCO is no city...its a county...just to make that clear.

Secondly, Joco has many Zip Codes on par with 90210...$$$$$$$$$$
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

GRID wrote: JoCo brings it on themselves.  They deserve all the bashing they get.  If so many people out there were not such pricks, the rest of the metro would have more respect for the area.  I just feel for the people that are not like that and have to be grouped with those people.

Maybe it is because of my exposure at such a young age but I just don't get this JoCo bashing.  Yeah, we use to joke about some of the JoCo drivers but it was more of a joke that expressing a hatred.  Living close to the state line, going to school with many JoCo kids at Rockhurst HS, and interacting with many from JoCo makes one realize that the residents of JoCo are no different than the residents of the rest of the area.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
kanasalumn
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kanasalumn »

damn can we all fucking get along.

Yes there are certain places in KC I do not want to be in, but I do not htink the whole Bannister area is "dangerous"  Actaually every where you go there is some kind of "Danger"  give me a freaking break. 
kanasalumn
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kanasalumn »

Highlander wrote: You should come to Houston.  The suburbanites hate the city; many of them, hundreds of thousands if not more, never go into even the most peripheral parts of the city.  As far as suburbs go, Johnson County is a bright shining star on an otherwise pitch black night compared to the Houston burbs.  Sugarland is actually OK but Tomball, Cypress and Katy and many more (all cities that are as rich if not richer than JoCo) are the most bland poorly thought through abomination of cities in America. 

Nope, by the standards I am used to, Johnson County is a pretty stellar suburb.  I just wish they did more collectively to support KCMO (privately, I suspect most of KC's institutions that rely on charity are dominated by Johnson County contributions). 
I used to live in Spring
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

im2kull wrote: Come on Highlander! Not this! Not now!  ](*,)

Don't give me the beating the head against the wall shit.  You know as well as I do that Grid's Johnson County rhetoric is directed primarily at south Johnson County from 95th south.  While I think Olathe is indeed yucky, I think OP and Leawood have actually managed their affairs quite well and as far as suburbia is concerned, that part of Joco is among the more pleasant in the US. 
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Highlander wrote: Don't give me the beating the head against the wall shit.  You know as well as I do that Grid's Johnson County rhetoric is directed primarily at south Johnson County from 95th south.  While I think Olathe is indeed yucky, I think OP and Leawood have actually managed their affairs quite well and as far as suburbia is concerned, that part of Joco is among the more pleasant in the US.  
Did you just completely not read my post and reply just for the hell of it?

Seriously, I could care less about all that **** you just wrote...I was simply pointing out the Facts that you had misconstrued (That JOCO is indeed a "City").  I could care less about the "Joco vs _____" Argument.  Here...read my post again, I'll even clarify what I meant below:
Highlander wrote: ...Houston burbs.  Sugarland is actually OK but Tomball, Cypress and Katy and many more (all cities that are as rich if not richer than JoCo)..
im2kull wrote: Come on Highlander! Not this! Not now!  ](*,)

So to clear this up:
*The reason I ONLY quoted that part of your post...both then and now...is because of the following:

Fact: JOCO is NOT a City...(Psst...JOHNSON COUNTY).  Period.

Fact: JOCO has various zip codes that are on par with the 90210 zip in terms of Per Capita Wealth (Meaning they're within the top 10 zips in the US).

That's it Highlander, no reason to get all steamed up over Grids Joco rhetoric, and what-not.  My post was simply about getting the Facts & Specifics right.  Period.  I could really care less about the rest of it, just proof-read the next time!  There's a reason I edit like 100 wikipedia pages a day...I can't stand mis-printed/poorly conveyed information!!!!

(No Offense...I'm just OCD out the wazooo. Hince the head beating smiley..you usually don't goof up on specifics like that (City vs County, etc))

Unless of course, we're talking about Overland Park, or any other specific JoCO city: In which case you should have just spit it out and said so.
Last edited by im2kull on Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
THINK (ONE) KC.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

http://primebuzz.kcstar.com/?q=node/20229
Lawmakers ask whether Kansas is dragging its feet on Cerner/Wizards deal?
TOPEKA | Could Kansas lose the Cerner/Wizards deal to Missouri afterall?

That was the worry of state lawmakers this morning who pressed the state?s Secretary of Commerce for assurances that he?s working hard and fast to sign a deal for the $414 million project near the Kansas Speedway.

Some said they?re afraid Missouri may win back the development if Kansas takes too long to approve its incentives package.
Yet an ?exclusivity? deal between the developers and the Unified Government of Wyandotte County expired Friday, giving the developers the option of looking at other potential sites.
see, now this is where a downtown site proposal would make my day  8)
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
OPIchabod
New York Life
New York Life

Post by OPIchabod »

The article fails to mention the Unified Government is meeting again tonight (they generally only meet as a Commission on Mondays or Thursdays) to discuss "development projects."

They'll resign an exclusivity agreement the article refers to, Kerr will run through due process on the project and everything will be fine.

All we have here is some Missouri media outlets making a mountain out of a mole hill.
Indecision is the root of evil.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

ComandanteCero wrote: http://primebuzz.kcstar.com/?q=node/20229

see, now this is where a downtown site proposal would make my day  8)
River Front Park?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Lawmakers push for conclusion of negotiations on Cerner-Wizards project
A decision on whether Kansas has successfully courted Cerner Corp. and the Kansas City Wizards is expected this week. The project has been sought by officials on both sides of the state line....

"I've heard that Missouri has another proposal ready and waiting," said state Sen. Kelly Kultala, a Kansas City, Kan., Democrat. "I want to hear that it's a done deal."...

During a committee meeting Tuesday, Kansas lawmakers pressed Kansas Secretary of Commerce David Kerr for assurances that he was close to concluding negotiations.

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Developer weighs state?s counteroffer for KCK office/stadium project
The developer of an office project and Kansas City Wizards soccer stadium proposed in Wyandotte County is reviewing a $229.5 million incentive offer presented by the state of Kansas late Thursday....

The statement went on to explain why the development group and Wyandotte County officials did not immediately accept the offer, which included $85 million in state tax credits and incentives for a proposed office complex to house Cerner Corp. employees and $144.5 million in sales tax revenue, or STAR bonds, to aid construction of the soccer stadium.