Livestrong Sporting Park

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
KCBoom
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Wizards could ditch Bannister site in favor of Wyandotte County

Post by KCBoom »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Your kidding yourself if you don't realize you have plenty of neighbors with similar mental makeup out there in Lees Summit.  Or Blue Springs.  Or Liberty.  Or hell, west Wyco for that matter.  At my JoCo workplace, there are plenty of MO suburbanites that sit there and nod their heads in agreement whenever anyone talks about being scared to walk on the plaza or all of the "gangs in westport".  Its a nationwide lack of understanding - not a single county phenomenon.  
No, I'm not kidding myself and I did disclose that I am biased.  I am well aware that those mindsets exist everywhere, however, based on my experiences there is a much larger concentration in the JoCo population.  This guy I was chatting with even went so far as to say he doesn't think any sports stadium, arena, etc. should be paid for by a government entity.  Well, until we acquire the wealth of the United Arab Emirates that simply is not going to happen.  He doesn't believe tax payers should have to pay for those venues, but when asked what happens of if the taxpayers don't pay for them he thinks nothing happens--teams stay if they want to.  Generally speaking, taxpayer support of a team venue is representative of team support.  That is the ultimate symbol of team support and desire of a voting body to have a sports franchise.  Unlike in Omaha where the city just decided to build a baseball stadium without a public vote.

I suppose my only point from my rant against the general JoCo population is that more and more on the surface it seems that JoCo has become a refuge for those people who want to have the amenities of a major city nearby yet they absolutely refuse to help pay for those amenties like the majority of the population and then bitch when they are called to the carpet.  Imagine if part of the funding for the Truman Sports Complex, regardless of where you think it should be physically located, came from a small property tax assessment from JoCo.  We could have two shining palaces like the Cowboys, like the Yankees, or like any other team you may envy.
Last edited by KCBoom on Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

And people used to say the same thing about Wyandotte County. And now people love it. And soon, if it hasn't happened already, P&L will have changed the minds about people's image of downtown. Any decent development at Bannister will have a similar effect.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCBoom wrote: I had lunch with a co-worker the other day who happens to live in far souther JoCo and the discussion of the new Wizards stadium came up.  I asked him what he thought about it being moved by the speedway and he replied that he would feel safer taking his kids to the Village West area rather than the Bannister site.  I then asked him what he was so afraid of and he replied that he was afraid of the gang activity.  He went on to say that trying to revitalize the innner citer (Bannister?  Inner city?  Huh?) is a waste and he thinks the city should just continue to grow outward away from the "riff raff" and let the core die.  This guy is also afraid of the the new Independence Events Center and thinks that is a waste.  This is just absolute non-sense to think that people are going to get killed at a soccer game at Bannister and 435.

I happen to live in northern Lee's Summit which is "fairly" central to the metropolitan core and yes I am pretty biased against the "JoCo point of view".  WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE THAT LIVE IN JOHNSON COUNTY?  I realize that not everyone tha lives in JoCo are a bunch of stuck up, babling, KU grads, but come on.  I work in JoCo and most of the people I talk with have a very similar point of view.  This metro area is doomed and will NEVER amount to anything of any importance with that kind of mindset.

Any suggestions on a real and respectable city of similar size I could move to?  I'm thinking Portland.
Your coworker sounds borderline retarded.
KCBoom
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCBoom »

kcmetro wrote: Your coworker sounds borderline retarded.
I wouldn't disagree with that assessment and unfortunately he is my boss.  :lol:
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

KCBoom wrote: I wouldn't disagree with that assessment and unfortunately he is my boss.   :lol:
Boom, it has been my experience that there are Johnson Counties everywhere. Minor League baseball being displaced for Major League soccer and the attendant fight over stadiums is going on in Portland and Beaverton(OP) and Washington County(JOCO) as we speak.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCBoom wrote: No, I'm not kidding myself and I did disclose that I am biased.  I am well aware that those mindsets exist everywhere, however, based on my experiences there is a much larger concentration in the JoCo population.
Hell, half of Lees Summit is former JoCoites or JoCoite wannabes who moved there because they could afford a new house even further away from the city.  If you think you have a bunch of enlightened, minority-loving, pro-tax, pro government neighbors, you really need to go to the next block party.  

Not many people outside of the core have a very enlightened attitude about it, period.  Anyone who thinks their suburban neighbors are more city friendly than other suburbs is probably kidding themselves.  I have a coworker who lives in South KCMO, not all that far from Bannister itself - a couple weeks ago she came and asked me for directions on how to get to a show at the Sprint Center and where to park.  I started out by suggesting some blocks she might try in the north xroads for free street parking if she was willing to walk a couple blocks; she reacted as if I was suggesting she walk through Kandahar with a target painted on her back.  This metro is filled with people who just plain don't like the city.  

Two of the most anti-DT people I know are dudes that grew up poor kids in the core, and now are absolutely ecstatic to live in Lees Summit and the northland respectively.  The only thing these guys like to bitch about more than DTKC is JoCo - the ranting is about equally ridiculous on both subjects
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

yeh, the first (and only) time i heard someone actually do the cliched "KS roads are better than MO roads" rant was a guy from Grandview.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
KCBoom
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCBoom »

Hey, listen, I certainly am not trying to start yet another "Mo is better than KS" pissing match, or vice versa.  The statements I made are simply my own personal thoughts based on my own personal experiences.  Nor am I trying to say Lee's Summit has better informed or more open-minded people than any other community in the metro.  The only reason for me mentioning LS in the first place is to put it out on the table that my views are slanted one way.  There is nothing to read between the lines here. 

Growing up in Eastern JaCo, and having lived in JaCo for 30+ years, this whole "you versus me" thing between MO and KS and JoCo vs JaCo has always been and will probably continue to exist in one form or another.  I simply cannot understand why this issue continue to fester so much for certain people.  I actually think I would prefer the new soccer stadium be built in WyCO in hopes that it will begin to ease those tensions.  However, I don't want to see the Bannister area continue to get pushed aside either because the geographic location to the current population centers really couldn't be more centrally placed.  

I will stop my ranting posts at this point, but all in all I am just totally fed up with the "haters", from both sides of the field.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I have a coworker who lives in South KCMO, not all that far from Bannister itself - a couple weeks ago she came and asked me for directions on how to get to a show at the Sprint Center and where to park.  I started out by suggesting some blocks she might try in the north xroads for free street parking if she was willing to walk a couple blocks; she reacted as if I was suggesting she walk through Kandahar with a target painted on her back.  This metro is filled with people who just plain don't like the city.
My office is one block away from Barney Allis Plaza, and I had to explain to two people who have worked here for over 10 years (both from North of the river) where the Crossroads is (I forgave them not knowing where the Westside is, but come on!).
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Let's keep this about the Wizards new stadium in WyCo rather than another KS vs. MO thread or "people in the burbs are clueless about downtown" thread.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Melling
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Melling »

I lived in Lee's Summit from age 0-18, and have lived in North Central Johnson County from age 23-32 (present).  So I can only make an asynchronous comparison.  However, the people I knew in Lee's Summit were much more frightened by "the city."  

When people found out where my mother grew up (43rd and Paseo), they would commonly comment about how "it's pretty dark there these days."  It took me years to figure out what that actually meant.  A group of kids once showed up to school on Martin Luther King Day -- to protest having the day off!  If I mentioned going to see a movie at the Tivoli, or visiting Westport for any other reason, people invariably asked "and you didn't get robbed?"  I remember kids referring to the city as "the Jungle," and I'm pretty sure they weren't making an Upton Sinclair reference.  When I mentioned that my father worked at Crown Center, I was asked if he "drove an armored car."  I could go on, but I'd rather not.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KCMax wrote: And people used to say the same thing about Wyandotte County. And now people love it. And soon, if it hasn't happened already, P&L will have changed the minds about people's image of downtown. Any decent development at Bannister will have a similar effect.
People don't love KCK....they love that one development.  Ask any of those who "love" it if they have even been east of 90th street and visited any of those businesses.  99%...no freaking way, it's "scary" there.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Hell, half of Lees Summit is former JoCoites or JoCoite wannabes who moved there because they could afford a new house even further away from the city.  If you think you have a bunch of enlightened, minority-loving, pro-tax, pro government neighbors, you really need to go to the next block party.  
Are they KU grads?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCBoom wrote: I had lunch with a co-worker the other day who happens to live in far souther JoCo and the discussion of the new Wizards stadium came up.  I asked him what he thought about it being moved by the speedway and he replied that he would feel safer taking his kids to the Village West area rather than the Bannister site.  I then asked him what he was so afraid of and he replied that he was afraid of the gang activity.  He went on to say that trying to revitalize the innner citer (Bannister?  Inner city?  Huh?) is a waste and he thinks the city should just continue to grow outward away from the "riff raff" and let the core die.  This guy is also afraid of the the new Independence Events Center and thinks that is a waste.  This is just absolute non-sense to think that people are going to get killed at a soccer game at Bannister and 435.

I happen to live in northern Lee's Summit which is "fairly" central to the metropolitan core and yes I am pretty biased against the "JoCo point of view".  WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE THAT LIVE IN JOHNSON COUNTY?  I realize that not everyone tha lives in JoCo are a bunch of stuck up, babling, KU grads, but come on.  I work in JoCo and most of the people I talk with have a very similar point of view.  This metro area is doomed and will NEVER amount to anything of any importance with that kind of mindset.

Any suggestions on a real and respectable city of similar size I could move to?  I'm thinking Portland.
There is one thing I do not miss about KC.  Damn it's nice to be so far away from JoCo.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

GRID wrote: There is one thing I do not miss about KC.  Damn it's nice to be so far away from JoCo.
So where did you end up moving to?
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCKev wrote: So where did you end up moving to?
I live in Montgomery County MD right now, way up in suburban Germantown, but have been relentlessly researching the region for a home for my family.  Still don't know where will end up as that mostly depends on where my wife ultimately lands a job.  I chose Germantown because of a nice short term lease I got and because it's on the MARC commuter line and wanted to get a feel for suburban living since we will end up in the burbs somewhere since I can't afford a 700k home in the nicer urban areas.

I really like the area so far. I talk to people every day about where to live, where the good schools are, where the best commutes are, where the best city neighborhoods are etc.

Even though there is some territorial friction such as Virginia people liking Virginia better and Maryland people liking Maryland better, suburban people not caring much for DC or visa versa, I don't think it's anywhere near like it is in KC and most of the opinions people give are pretty much dead on, not just completely out of wack like you hear from people in JoCo talk about the MO suburbs or urban KCMO.  It seems like most people respect other areas of the region even if it's not their area or not their cup of tea.  I found the same to be true in Denver, Chicago etc when I worked in those towns for extended periods.

I like the diversity of the area.  Even the suburbs are extremely diverse compared to KC.  I like how the area puts a lot of effort into bike and pedestrian trails and transit which is really something nearly every city in the country except KC is doing.

I don't like the cost of housing.  What people pay for houses out here is just insane.  A half million dollars will not get you much in a good area, urban or suburban.

Overall, great area and we look forward to it.  I enjoy living in a larger city myself and may not return to a city like KC for a while.  The more I look at KC now, the more the city really seems to have problems.  Blight it just out of control.  Sprawl is out of control, segregation is crazy both racially and economically, transit is non-existent, the city feels like a ghost town at times when I return.  The people have a fake Midwestern friendliness that I just can't stand anymore.  The people here are more real, what you see is what you get.  Sure sometimes it's a bit hard, but it's real and even though people are slightly harder (mostly just in public), they are much more open to different people and I have found the people are actually friendlier and more outgoing and open overall than people in KC.  If you work in OP and tell somebody you are from Raytown, you are instantly out of certain groups.  I don't see that here at all.

When you go to any restaurant or retail store or step on any train or bus and see a group of kids hanging out, it's always a mix of races.  Million dollar homes are never more than a few blocks, if not across the street, from modest townhomes and apartments.  The suburbs here are more dense than the plaza is in KC.  Basically nearly all the new suburban growth in this entire area is new urbanism, medium to high density mixed use.

But I also miss the really good things about the city.  Mostly the cost of living and ease of commuting.  KC Is just a very cheap and easy city to live in.  It still offers most of what any large city offers as far as quality of life such as pro sports, museums, etc.

DC is also nice to live in an area that has plenty of sport fans, but sports doesn't overwhelm the city.  In KC, sports (college, chiefs, royals) is like the only thing anybody ever talks about, it's all over everybody's cars and clothing etc. (mostly college)  I have always just found that to be tacky and the culture of that to be more rural than urban.  I'm a huge sports fan, but I don't wear MU stuff to work every chance I get.  KC just needs to apply a fraction of it's college sports passion to making the city a better place.

There are plenty of sports fans and even more teams to follow in the pros and college, but it's not near as annoying.  It's just different.

I like it so far.  I think after a few years of living out here, we might try to go west to Denver, Seattle, Portland, San Diego etc.

I also enjoy showing off KC to the people out here on a regular basis.  I loving having all my photos online that I can pull up and show people.  Those photos of KC blow people away.  Today I showed a person from Charleston SC what KC looked like.  He honestly thought KC was smaller than Charleston and that the city's primary industry was meat packing.  My boss asked me if it really is that flat in Kansas even though the KC area is very similar to the DC area, just slightly less trees.

So even though there are things about KC that are really jacked up.  I will always be a Kansas Citian and will always put the city in a positive light for those that are curious.

Feel free to move these posts to the KC to DC thread.  Oops  .
Last edited by GRID on Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Melling wrote: I lived in Lee's Summit from age 0-18, and have lived in North Central Johnson County from age 23-32 (present).  So I can only make an asynchronous comparison.  However, the people I knew in Lee's Summit were much more frightened by "the city."  

When people found out where my mother grew up (43rd and Paseo), they would commonly comment about how "it's pretty dark there these days."  It took me years to figure out what that actually meant.  A group of kids once showed up to school on Martin Luther King Day -- to protest having the day off!  If I mentioned going to see a movie at the Tivoli, or visiting Westport for any other reason, people invariably asked "and you didn't get robbed?"  I remember kids referring to the city as "the Jungle," and I'm pretty sure they weren't making an Upton Sinclair reference.  When I mentioned that my father worked at Crown Center, I was asked if he "drove an armored car."  I could go on, but I'd rather not.

Lee's Summit is not the same suburb it was in the 80s, but thanks for sharing.
Melling
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Melling »

trailerkid wrote: Lee's Summit is not the same suburb it was in the 80s[sic], but thanks for sharing.
I did say it was an asynchronous comparison, so you are basically repeating my disclaimer.  But, yes, a synchronous cross-sectional comparison would have more validity.  I apologize for the tangent.  Having grown up with some of the worst racists I've ever met, I'm a bit hesitant to accept the notion of a kinder, gentler Lee's Summit.  However, they did do away with the shame-fest that was Cole Younger Days.
jayhawkjames
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by jayhawkjames »

Found these pictures online..looks like high level plans...

Looks like they are looking to build a hotel next to the stadium..and some of the hotel room views will be of the field.

http://www.backpost.net/2009/09/new-sta ... hotos.html
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Melling wrote: I did say it was an asynchronous comparison, so you are basically repeating my disclaimer.  But, yes, a synchronous cross-sectional comparison would have more validity.  I apologize for the tangent.  Having grown up with some of the worst racists I've ever met, I'm a bit hesitant to accept the notion of a kinder, gentler Lee's Summit.  However, they did do away with the shame-fest that was Cole Younger Days.
I'm pretty sure Olathe and Lee's Summit have the same residents.