Tea Drinkers

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Tea Drinkers

Post by bobbyhawks »

I'm a pretty big fan of loose leaf teas and just moved into the Westside-North area.  Where are people's favorite places to buy loose leaf teas in KC?  I've been to Tea Drops and Tea Market, but was wondering if there were any gems I'd not heard of, especially if they are closer to downtown.  I'm looking for more than just some loose leaf Twinings.  Do any of the Asian markets in/near the River Market sell loose leaf?
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Tea Drinkers

Post by ColumbusParkian »

Bobby, there is a loose leaf tea store in the City Market on the West side of the complex. Their smoothies suck, but their teas are supposedly good.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

ColumbusParkian wrote: Bobby, there is a loose leaf tea store in the City Market on the West side of the complex. Their smoothies suck, but their teas are supposedly good.
Cool, do they sell it for take-home or is it just for in-store consumption?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

what about the place a couple doors down from wild oats on main?  used to be house of hezekiah. 
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

There was a rumor that Tea Drops may open in the old HR Block Starbucks spot downtown.  Anything new with that?

My fave is the raspberry black - hot or cold.  Also like Dragon Pearl (green) for something lighter.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

There is Chang Tea on the third level in Crown Center.  I?m not a tea drinker but my wife swears by them.  He also sells jade but most of his buying trips back to China seem to be for tea.  The owner is usually there, Chang (pronounced Shan) is very helpful and friendly and will make plently of tea for you to sample.
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Agree that the teas in the bobo tea place in the city market are good.

My favorite pick your ass up and make your eyeballs click tea is an unbelievable bargain.  $6.00 for a half kilo.  It's Mumtaz Indian small leaf (red and gold box) and I buy it at the Habashi grocery, also in the west wing of the city market.
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

Doesn't Planters sell teas?
towncow
Pad site
Pad site

Post by towncow »

The Oriental Market and the Hung Vuong market both sell lots of teas--just not ones from Ceylon or India. You can't sniff them in advance, also...House of Hezekiah does sell loose teas, as does Tea Market. The selection at Lollicup Tea tends toward the flavored variety...
omenapt
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by omenapt »

just get the good , high priced stuff at Better Cheddar and truly enjoy a cuppa....Yorkshire Red or Gold is available as well as lesser brands such as TYphoo.!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

omenapt wrote: Yorkshire Red or Gold is available
Sounds like something you would order at an Amsterdam coffee shop. 
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I'm not into as much of the flowery or fruity teas, though I do like Rose Petal Black.  From my somewhat limited tea explorations, I like a good Oolong, Puerh, or quality green or Jasmine.  Tea Market had some great green Sencha if you are into that.  I still enjoy me some Twinings English/Irish Breakfast with some milk and a dash of sugar in the morning.