Westside Local - Restaurant & Beer Garden

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Westside Local - Restaurant & Beer Garden

Post by chrizow »

that's a shame.  i really don't think anyone in WSL's target demos would have a problem identifying the "lefty's" sign as an old relic, an attempt to blend in more with the area.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Perhaps I should emphasize, this appears to be a sore subject.  Bring it up with Kimchi and she may stick her finger in your beer, Chrizow.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

haha sorry, not a big deal at all, i dont mean to harp on it.  WSL is a cool spot, i'm sure i'll be there often. 
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

loftguy wrote: The good news:  They left Leftys in place and put panels over the top of it, then painted those, so that some future entrepreneur can rediscover it.
I think that is an awesome solution.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

We had dinner and beers out in the garden saturday night to take advantage of the weather.  Everything we ate was as tasty as it sounds - especially the roast beef sandwich and the charcouterie plate.  The service was a bit slow but nothing to complain about on a leisurely saturday night - might be a tad annoying if you were on a schedule.  All in all a winner - even better if you time it to catch a pack or scavanger hunters compelled to buy you a tasty beer - thanks again guys, I owe you one.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

Anytime!
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

The beer list was amazing, our appetizer was great and the two entrees we had we great.  But, I have one concern.  I only saw four entrees on the menu.  There was a nice sandwich section, but if I'm going to a nice dinner than I mostly never would choose a sandwich.  Anyone know if they are planning on adding to their entree section or are they going to have a seperate list of nightly entree specials?  The braised rabbit was amazing!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

NOT OPEN MONDAYS.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

It didn't take long, but they now have draught beer. Huzzah.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Last night I finally had the roast beef sandwich, and opted for white cheddar on it.  It was too, too good.  It's obsessively good.  BFA posted that he would not consider ordering a sandwich when he wanted a nice meal.  Try this rib-eye beef sandwich.  I can't think of many "nice" meals that I would place above it.

Also, on a whim, ordered a new item on the menu, "Amish Chicken Noodle Soup".  That has to be the best food and flavor value in the city, at $4.00 for a delicious and generous serving.

The owners and staff are very apologetic for their newness, slowness, waiter/ress errors etc... and ask for patience from the customers.  I didn't see anyone who was visibly upset by anything.  I just think this team is really desirous of a stellar experience.

What a beautiful beer garden night.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

i'm so glad to see this place getting love! I went on opening night and while there were some kinks in the system, it was overall a very pleasant experience. I'll probably submit a review on yelp after my second visit, as i don't think reviewing a place based on their opening day performance is at all fair.

great place and i hope it lasts a long, long time...
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

stopped in for a few drinks (i drank wine -- take that beerknurds!) last night and my entire group really enjoyed it. pretty solid crowd for 9:30pm, and the beer garden appears to be real the runaway success. seems like the staff has had some time to gel, too.

side note: my friend tried to order miller lite and was brutally rebuffed!
CrossroadsKid
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by CrossroadsKid »

I've been a couple of times now and have to say I love the atmosphere of the beer garden.  Friday night I had a great time but 2 of my friends had to wait 45 minutes for their cheese platter and almost an hour for their grilled cheese (we were on a schedule so it did matter for us).  Their wine was also about 90 degrees.  They were obviously a bit annoyed but the owner came over and comped their whole meal and was adamant that they find him when they came back next time to make sure he "made it right."  Totally understand the kinks in the system when you start out and I thought the owner handled it in the best possible manner and we'll all be back soon.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

How is the parking....ha, kidding.  How is the walk over the summit bridge?  I have never done it but not sure why....good bar might be the perfect reason to try it out.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Really? That's one of my favorite walks. And I invariably start singing the Heet Mob song as I cross that bridge.
NOLA
Pad site
Pad site

Post by NOLA »

Went last night around 9:30.  Sat in the Beer Garden.  The place was totally packed, which was great to see in Kansas City.  Love that they offer late night dining options.  They are obviously still working out the kinks (they were quickly running out of everything on the menu), but the servers, owner, hostess, etc. were all top notch -- friendly, apologetic and honest.  I think they will get their legs under them pretty quickly.  This will make my short list of places to go and take out-of-towners.  Not that they have room, but it would be nice if they could add some non-dining seat options in the Beer Garden (maybe some stools?).  Regardless, great addition to the local dining scene.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

wait NOLA, i don't understand. are you saying that the beer garden is seated for dining? i assumed it would be first come first serve. Beer gardens are for mingling and sitting at tables with strangers, not assigned seating.
NOLA
Pad site
Pad site

Post by NOLA »

To be honest, it was kind of confusing.  We told the hostess we wanted to sit outside and she said "hold on, I'll see what we have."  She came back and said told us to wait five minutes and she would clear a spot.    Then again, it may have also been just open-seating or a hybrid of both.  We didn't think about the open-seating part until well after we sat down.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Both times I've been there we just walked past the hostess and went outside.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Joyce Smith: Beer garden opens at 17th and Summit

Troy McEvers calls it his dream come true, and the effort shows ? from the exposed brick walls to the shiny wood floors to the unique artwork.

?Restaurants are the perfect scenario for people to create change,? McEvers said. ?We don?t meet each other driving by in an automobile. I met my wife at a restaurant and fell in love. I met my best friend at a restaurant and fell in love. When we meet people, that?s when positive things start happening.?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag