Reasonable Schooling Costs if living in brookside/loose park area?

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
cdschofield
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Reasonable Schooling Costs if living in brookside/loose park area?

Post by cdschofield »

Ebanks wrote: Wow... mentioned the catholic schools to my wife and was pretty surprised at how against that she was! lol

I guess we are just screwed about living down there then, because we definately couldn't afford the $15k/yr if we had multiple kids in school at the same time :(
Yeah, it's not uncommon for non-Catholics to get uneasy about Catholic schools. But I swear, the era of gruff old nuns swatting palms with rulers is long gone. I'm not Catholic but I send my kids to St. Elizabeth's.

If your really serious about it I wouldn't hesitate talking to any of the schools mentioned in this thread, secular and religious. The administrations of private schools are very accessable and I would be suprised if they wouldn't meet with you. Every one of these schools have financial aid and they will find a way to help you if you're really serious about sending your kids to their school.

I also thought of St. Pauil's Episcopal School and Brookside Day School which is now a charter school.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Cdschofield is right on the catholic school thing.  The kids will have to take theology classes and go to a few masses but all of the schools are very non-Catholic friendly.  See if your wife would be at least willing to go in and tour the school and talk with some of the administration.  If you like the area then it would be worth checking out all of your options even if you end deciding on something else. 
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

beautyfromashes wrote: Why do Catholic schools seem to be the only option in Kansas City?  And doesn't it seem odd that the Catholic church set these schools up to educate kids but that none of the poor kids can even attend, no matter how much financial assistance is received?    Perhaps the Catholic schools are the reason for such a marked difference for the haves and the have-nots.
The Catholic Diocese supports up to 8 grade schools in the so-called inner city.  Funds are raised for the operation of the schools and for tuition assistance.  So, many of these poor kids do receive a quality education at a reduced cost to the parent(s), and they do not have to be Catholic.  These schools do not have tax subsidies but they do quite well for the funds they do have - they spend less per student than many public schools.

If more would donate to this effort, and you don't have to be Catholic, more kids could take advantage of this option.  Maybe vouchers are not such a bad idea after all.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Anyone have any idea on the tuitions for some of the Catholic elementary schools in Brookside/Loose Park/Waldo, specifically St. Peters, St. Elizabeth and Visitation? Or Brookside Montesorri? We're looking at houses in the area, and its kinda frustrating we have to factor in the costs of thousands of dollars in private school tuition on top of the cost of the house. I love Academie Lafayette and University Academy, but I'm not going to cross my fingers and hope our kid gets selected.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCMax wrote: I love Academie Lafayette and University Academy, but I'm not going to cross my fingers and hope our kid gets selected.
What do you mean 'gets selected'.  I've heard that Lafayette doesn't turn anyone away.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

I don't know if you knew about the Kansas City Academy, but it would also be an option

http://www.kcacademy.org/

I had a really good friend in high school who attended the school when it was the Loretto School at 39th and Roanoke.  Now located at 80th and Main.  

When the Loretto School closed in 1984, its principal and a group of teachers, students, parents and community leaders founded Kansas City Academy to continue Loretto?s unique educational philosophy. Our roots are in the Loretto educational tradition, known for providing excellent academic education, helping students deepen their values, inspiring lifelong learning and fostering concern for the welfare of others.

In 2007 Kansas City Academy became an Expeditionary Learning (EL) School, supported by funding from our donors and the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation. In anticipation of increased public awareness, growing enrollment and potential new funding opportunities, we updated our strategic plan with new initiatives.

KCA?s future is bright as a high-performing Expeditionary Learning School:

Faculty members will receive intensive professional development in curriculum, teaching practices and building a strong school culture.
Students will develop perseverance, fitness, craftsmanship, imagination and self-discipline as they work toward self-discovery through Expeditionary Learning.
The Kansas City community will benefit, as our students gain the attitudes and skills to learn from others and be of service.
More future students will have the opportunity to experience Expeditionary Learning, as our strategic plan guides us toward our goals.

Nothing on the website about tuition.

ETA -- Biz Journal article says tuition is about half of the going rate for "most other private schools"

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... rial3.html
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Private school tuition is offset a bit by lower property taxes and lower transportation costs compared to the suburbs. 

Also, you don't have to automatically rule out public schools.  When the parents are involved and engaged, kids can get an education very comparable to private or suburban schools.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

beautyfromashes wrote: What do you mean 'gets selected'.  I've heard that Lafayette doesn't turn anyone away.
It seems like they have an open enrollment period - but that has a waiting list. After that they have a lottery.

http://www.academielafayette.org/enrollment
dangerboy wrote: Private school tuition is offset a bit by lower property taxes and lower transportation costs compared to the suburbs.  

Also, you don't have to automatically rule out public schools.  When the parents are involved and engaged, kids can get an education very comparable to private or suburban schools.
A bit, but not much when you're talking about several thousands of dollars a year. We're not totally ruling out public schools, but I'm a bit concerned with the test scores of schools like Bryant Elementary and Brookside Charter and some of the anecdotal evidence I've heard. I know that's not necessarily indicative of how good the school is, but I have no idea how else to judge these school other than subject my kid to it for a year, and I don't know that I want my kid to be a guinea pig.

Thanks for the link to KC Academy, Heather, I had not heard of that school. However, we're just concerned with elementary schools for now. Who knows what our options will be for middle and high schools ten years from now?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

beautyfromashes wrote: What do you mean 'gets selected'.  I've heard that Lafayette doesn't turn anyone away.
As far as I know, they only did that for this coming school year due to unusual circumstances. Going forward they will be only accepting about 85 students per year with siblings of current students and the teachers children getting first choice.

My girlfriends son is going to summer camp right now and will enter kindergarten this school year. It's a fantastic school and we were very fortunate to have her son get in.
"People just repeat what everybody else says as a short cut to thinking." JTREG - BigSoccer Forum Member
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Visitation, St. Elizabeths, St. Peters are all good options. I think you have to join the Parish though. If you "tithe" enough...there is no tuition. But, there has been a move by the Bishop to institute tuition which would likely be $5000+ (after tax). Tithe's are supposed to be 10% of income given to the Church. This is tax deductible.The move by the Bishop is a result of people not tithing properly and taking advantage of tithing/stewardship.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

I don't know if it is the current policy but it use to be, at the Catholic schools, that if you were a member of the parish you paid one level of tuition, which could be offset some by the tithing.  If you were not a member of the parish you would pay a higher level of tuition.

Also, be aware that you will be responsible for transportation to and from school - no school busses.  But at least for the most part they will be "neighborhood schools" since most of the kids going there do live nearby.

You might also consider Christ the King at 85th and Wornall.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
elonalum
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by elonalum »

our children also attend St. Elizabeth's - while we are members of the parish (versus tuition paying), there are many children who are not catholic.  that's just a reality here in the Brookside/Waldo area.  and, frankly, the catholic schools probably couldn't survive w/out the tuition paying families.  most of these parish schools are set up so that your tithing a set percetage of your income so that it does give equal access to the schools regardless of your income, if that made sense.  at any rate, we are very happy w/ St. E's - it's a great "community" which, to me, is the huge bonus of these parish schools.  ps. - if you don't join parish, you're tuition paying.  to clarify a previous post.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCMax wrote: Anyone have any idea on the tuitions for some of the Catholic elementary schools in Brookside/Loose Park/Waldo, specifically St. Peters, St. Elizabeth and Visitation? Or Brookside Montesorri? We're looking at houses in the area, and its kinda frustrating we have to factor in the costs of thousands of dollars in private school tuition on top of the cost of the house. I love Academie Lafayette and University Academy, but I'm not going to cross my fingers and hope our kid gets selected.
As a lot of people have said, tithing is a big part of the Catholic schools's tuitions.  I'm not sure on the exact costs, but I have a good friend on a board of a local Catholic grade school, so if you're serious about wanting to know the costs I'm sure I could get a break down on what it would cost for a non-parishioner.  Send me a private message if you want the info, and I'll get back to you.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCMax wrote:
Thanks for the link to KC Academy, Heather, I had not heard of that school. However, we're just concerned with elementary schools for now. Who knows what our options will be for middle and high schools ten years from now?
I know it seems far away, but I'd consider your high school selection here too.  Most of these Catholic schools feed heavily into Catholic high schools.  St. Theresas and Sion for girls, and Rockhurst for guys.  All of these are going to be around $10 thousand+ a year by the time your kids are there. 

So if you invest in 8+ years of your kids life into making friends and the community, are you prepared to seperate them after 8th grade?  That should be something to consider, when around 90% of their graduating class will be going on to private, Catholic schools. 
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

WoodDraw wrote: I know it seems far away, but I'd consider your high school selection here too.  Most of these Catholic schools feed heavily into Catholic high schools.  St. Theresas and Sion for girls, and Rockhurst for guys.  All of these are going to be around $10 thousand+ a year by the time your kids are there. 
Or do the opposite. Public school for elementary and middle, and private/parochial for high school.  This is a popular strategy for many people.  The public K-8 schools are very viable and perform well. It's the high school level where the district struggles most.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

WoodDraw wrote: I know it seems far away, but I'd consider your high school selection here too.  Most of these Catholic schools feed heavily into Catholic high schools.  St. Theresas and Sion for girls, and Rockhurst for guys.  All of these are going to be around $10 thousand+ a year by the time your kids are there. 

So if you invest in 8+ years of your kids life into making friends and the community, are you prepared to seperate them after 8th grade?  That should be something to consider, when around 90% of their graduating class will be going on to private, Catholic schools. 
Valid point. Also, keep in mind that probably more than half the students that attend these private high schools are on some form of financial aid. I was amazed at the number for Rockhurst. The rich kid shtick about Rockhurst is basically a (less than) half truth.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
jillr
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by jillr »

How would your wife feel about a Lutheran school?  Calvary School at 75th & Oak.  http://www.calvaryschoolkc.com  They also have a high school in South KC.
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

Calvary's Missouri Synod Lutheran; out of curiosity, does anybody know if there are ELCA-affiliated Lutheran Schools in the metro (pref. Missouri side)?

heatherkay, thanks for the info about Kansas City Academy; I live in the neighborhood and walk past it often, but hadn't yet looked up what they are all about.  Sounds cool.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

It's important to remember that tuition is just part of the cost.  On top of that there are books & supplies and the never-ending fund raising.  You will be hit up for extra money all the time.  And it doesn't stop.  I graduated from Barstow in 1962 and I still get hit up by mail and phone.  I also get fund-raising letters from the private school my son attended in the late 1980's. 

The key to public schools is parent involvement - the more there is, the better the school.  The best way to get information is to talk with parents in the areas where you want to live.  That may mean going to schools when the kids are being dropped off and asking questions of the parents.  You can also ask to observe classes. 

Your eventual involvement in the school will help too.  You meet other parents who can provide information you wouldn't otherwise get and the teachers will know you.  This will help your child in all sorts of ways.

Of course, the parents who were teacher/principal groupies annoyed the hell out of me.

AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

Ebanks wrote: Wow... mentioned the catholic schools to my wife and was pretty surprised at how against that she was! lol
Sounds like the wife is hard-core atheist.  In that case, she wants her kids no where near religion.  If that's the case you may be SOL.  Looks like your movin' to the 'burbs!  Out here, in the 'burbs, our religion is: lots of roads and featureless placelessness.  Welcome!