Densest Census Tracts Kansas Suburbs

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

I did a little research because I was curious how dense the most highly populated parts of suburban KC cities were.

Overland Park - 6437 sq. mile
Kansas City, KS - 9741 sq. mile
Olathe - 6267 sq. mile
Shawnee - 5061 sq. mile
Lenexa - 5534 sq. mile
Leavenworth - 4948 sq. mile
Leawood - 3459 sq. mile

Also in Kansas

Wichita - 7938 sq. mile
Topeka - 6107 sq. mile
Lawrence - 11,187 sq. mile

Over in Missouri

Kansas City - 13,531 sq. mile
Independence - 4746 sq. mile
Lees Summit - 4199 sq. mile
Raytown - 4558 sq. mile
Gladstone - 4239 sq. mile
Liberty - 2837 sq. mile

Also in Missouri:

St. Louis - 15,245 sq. mile
Springfield - 11,698 sq. mile
St. Joseph - 5963 sq. mile
Columbia - 23,714 sq. mile
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Where did you get those numbers? I ask because that places KCMO's population at just over 5 million people, so i assume it's only measuring a certain part of town. Which part is that?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

bahua wrote:Where did you get those numbers? I ask because that places KCMO's population at just over 5 million people, so i assume it's only measuring a certain part of town. Which part is that?
It has to be only measuring the urban core...
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

bahua wrote:Where did you get those numbers? I ask because that places KCMO's population at just over 5 million people, so i assume it's only measuring a certain part of town. Which part is that?
This isn't the density of the entire city. This is the density of the densest census tract. Let me explain. There are many different census tracts in a city, and each tract has a different number of people living in them. For instance the number of people living at the plaza might be 13,000 a square mile, while the number of people near the airport is 1300 a square mile. What I did was I looked for the single census tract that had the highest population per square mile inside an entire city.

Yes Olathe has tracts with only 200 people in a square mile, but it also has tracts with 4000 people in a square mile.

Notice Columbia has a census tract with a very high density probably due to the university, but keep in mind the entire city is not that dense, just that single census tract.

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

(ignoring the condescending tone) Where did you get these DMW? Cool find.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

KCPowercat wrote:(ignoring the condescending tone) Where did you get these DMW? Cool find.
condescending tone???

Well Sorry!!!!!!!! I was a little annoyed that the title of the thread is "Densest Census Tracts Kansas Suburbs" yet for some reason bahua thought that I was speaking of the population density of the entire city, not just the densest tracts, and that I somehow thought KCMO had over 5 million people. So I thought I would explain it as clearly as possible, so that no one else thinks that I think KCMO has over 5 million people.

I picked these up from the census web site, they are based on the 2000 census, I don't have an exact link right now, but I will look for it.

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

dang DMW...nobody is against you, turn down the defensive vibe a bit. He just asked a question.....a question posed to you is not one of objection to what you have posted.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

DMW, chill out. He just asked you to clarify your statement. I was a little confused myself, until I read your follow-up.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

13,000 is the plaza I believe isn't it (or the 64111 or whatever...) I looked all census tracts numbers from the river to the southern KC border and from state line to the easternmost KC border...
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

DeadManWalking wrote:I was a little annoyed that the title of the thread is "Densest Census Tracts Kansas Suburbs" yet for some reason bahua thought that I was speaking of the population density of the entire city, not just the densest tracts, and that I somehow thought KCMO had over 5 million people. So I thought I would explain it as clearly as possible, so that no one else thinks that I think KCMO has over 5 million people..
Dude, that's not what I thought. I even said I didn't think that. I find it a little annoying that you went to the trouble of explaining your entire purpose, when I clearly said in my response that all I wanted to know was what part of town they measured for that number.

And 64111 is not the Plaza. It's State Line to about Troost, about 31st to about 43rd. 64111 would most accurately be described as Midtown.

Was it 64111 that had the most populous tract?
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

It thought it was either 64111 or the one south of it... I know one of those two had the most population area except the really really huge ones in the more rural areas.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

The Plaza is in 64112.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

My first thought looking at those numbers was, "what the hell??" I see what you mean though about density in certain tracts. Makes sense now. That's why Lawrence shows such a high number. Probably all the huge highrise dorms and surrounding areas with lots of students.

Overall, places like Overland Park have quite a low density. I now live in the ciy of Orange, CA which is almost the same population of OP but with less than half the area. That's also why our traffic is so horrible out here. It's a suburban model of development w/everything squeezed together to creat twice the density of most suburbs.