Troost Fest - Saturday May 16

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Troost Fest - Saturday May 16

Post by chrizow »

i encourage everyone to go to Troost Fest.  it's a great event, probably one of the more diverse and vibrant grassroots events in KC.   

The 5th Annual Troost Festival

Saturday, May 16, 2009 • noon to 10 pm

3100 block of Troost Avenue

We are celebrating the talent and diversity
of this historic midtown Kansas City area.

Marching Band
Shawnee Miami & Osage Nation
Reverend Mathew Mason & Choir
Bluegrass Performers
Klezmer Band
Greek Dancers
Irish Riverdance Performers
Lisa Stribling - Gospel / Hip Hop
Washboard Joe - Bayou Blues
The Home Reckers - Blues
Men with Red
A-Z One - Reggae
Free Space
Cool Aid and the Exchange Band
Trample Under Foot
Norman Liggins - R& B
Esoke African Drumming
MCK Band
and Special Guest Performers

The 2009 festival is dedicated to celebration of the historical diversity of the Troost community. The strands of Native American, African American, Irish, Greek, Jewish, and other ethnicities that make up the tapestry of Troost History will be recognized in both music, dance, and period clothing. By recognizing our collective cultures and learning to draw out the best and let go of the worst, a new culture emerges that transcends what any of us could be merely on our own.
We really become “better together.”

People who live, work, and worship in the neighborhoods surrounding the Troost, Prospect, and Main Corridors are welcome to share their time and talents in all aspects of the Festival, and to invite their friends to the afternoon and evening.

Entrepreneurs, businesses, faith groups, organizations, artists and musicians are invited to participate - Everyone is welcome.

Goals of the Festival are:

* to recognize and celebrate the diverse creative energies of Troost Avenue
      * change the Troost image to a place of meeting from one of division and fear,
      * to prompt residents of the community to join in life long learning.

The last four years have been fantastic and some exciting new projects are happening on the block.

In addition to music, dancing, food, displays by neighborhood associations, faith groups, city services and local artists, a "coffeehouse" will be active with dialogue around ten areas of concern- art, community, communications, education, environment, health, justice, resources, science and spirituality.

Background:
The idea for the Troost Ave Festival was created by the 2005 Race Relations Action Team, one of several teams of citizens that came together through the KC Forums project and with encouragement from the vision of Human Investment section of the FOCUS Kansas City Plan.

Who are you? The best answer we have come up with is we're “The Troost Folks”. We're a loose collaboration of individuals and individuals representing organizations, churches, and businesses in the midtown area of Kansas City, Missouri. Several of the core organizers represent nfp organizations with deep roots on Troost Ave.; when we have to interface with corporations and government entities we are under the umbrella of these nfps.

http://troostvillage.org/
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Troost Fest - Saturday May 16

Post by ignatius »

Count me in.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

see ya there!
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Unfortunately that is my neighborhood garage sale, and the fiancee and I have a shit ton of...well...shit to sell.

But this time only, we are offering a 25% forum discount if you can prove you were at Troost Fest before you came to buy our shit! 
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Unfortunately that is my neighborhood garage sale, and the fiancee and I have a shit ton of...well...shit to sell.

But this time only, we are offering a 25% forum discount if you can prove you were at Troost Fest before you came to buy our shit! 
My wife and I will be participating in the same neighborhood garage sale.  Have been the past 5 years. She started tagging stuff on Monday night and it won't stop till Saturday morning.  Traditionally, the activity really dies down after 2pm. The majority of garage salers know to come early to find any good stuff.  We typically close down then and just put everything left on the curb with a big FREE sign. 

I'd like to head to the Troost Fest after that, but we have to go to another festival. My daughter's new school she'll be attending in the fall(Border Star) is having a carnival for everyone.  Maybe I can sneak out after that though. I'd love to check out the mighty fine Trampled Under Foot and all the other stuff going on.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

yeah, bear in mind that the festival goes from noon until 10pm. 
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Yeah, and we have an engagement party for another couple that evening as well, so we're still out.  I went last year though, enjoyed the scene very much.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i vote to ban pumpkinstalker.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

I'll be there photographin'.... I enjoyed the event last year too.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

chrizow wrote: i vote to ban pumpkinstalker.
No discount for you!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

so will the street be closed? jeez, i hope so...
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

DaveKCMO wrote: so will the street be closed? jeez, i hope so...
yeah, troost is always closed for the troost fest...at least on that block.  i think 31st is closed at troost too, but i am not certain about that.
MidtownGrrl
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by MidtownGrrl »

I'll be there!

Anybody know of the actual entertainment schedule?  The entertainment was pretty good overall - particularly the music. 
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

I missed out on last year but I enjoyed myself a couple of years ago.  I'll be there loungin' around....
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton