The Official Kansas City Weather Thread

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: The Official Kansas City Weather Thread

Post by KCLover »

So how do you all feel about Katie Horner and our other worthless TV stations breaking in tonight with Severe Weather Alerts?

The storms are an hour or more NE of the city and are heading E-SE but yet they disrupted a bunch of major shows tonight. Survivor, Grey's Anatomy, etc.

This is just ridiculous. 
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Its effing ridiculous. I haven't seen or felt a drop of rain, thunder, lightning ir anything yet we're in a tornando watch and thunderstorm watch. Where?  What am I missing?  I grilled out tonight and it was gorgeous. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I didn't even recognize the towns they were warning. How far does KCTV5's viewing audience extend? I guess I don't understand what they need to tell us for half an hour that they can't tell us on a scrawl at the bottom. If you need to break in during a commercial for a minute to bring our attention to the scrawl, that's fine, but honestly, I don't need to see a map with a red blob on it to let me know I am in peril.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Notice I started this thread 1433 days ago about precisely this issue, and it still persists.

Notice that Channel 5 was the worst TV station EVAR!!111 1433 days ago and remains that way now.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

KCMax wrote: I didn't even recognize the towns they were warning. How far does KCTV5's viewing audience extend? I guess I don't understand what they need to tell us for half an hour that they can't tell us on a scrawl at the bottom. If you need to break in during a commercial for a minute to bring our attention to the scrawl, that's fine, but honestly, I don't need to see a map with a red blob on it to let me know I am in peril.
The towns were literally halfway to Columbia.

It wasn't just KCTV5, KMBC and busby were also in the action as was Lezak and NBC. The only station with any smarts this time seemed to be Fox4, they didn't interrupt anything.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

It's worse in Denver because the majority of sever weather occurs out on the eastern plains toward the KS border, and I guess the 50 people who live out there all get Denver news stations.  We can have sunny weather in Denver, yet our TV screens are lit up with all sorts of warnings/watches for tiny towns and counties I've never even heard of.  Rarely do any of them actually apply to metro Denver counties.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Does anyone remember what the sun looked like?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

I think I have rickets. Anyone else have the feeling that we are going to bankrupt the city this winter with sand and salt?
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

NDTeve wrote: I think I have rickets. Anyone else have the feeling that we are going to bankrupt the city this winter with sand and salt?
Lotta people nervous that this winter will be "the big one".
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Looks like the folliage might be pretty nice this year - but not like we can really see it or appreciate it when it is hidden in rain, fog and clouds all the time. 
omenapt
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by omenapt »

NDTeve wrote: I think I have rickets. Anyone else have the feeling that we are going to bankrupt the city this winter with sand and salt?

I think that this weather this summer/fall is more of a continuation of last winters high precipitation (mostly in the form of rain) and the likelyhood of two wet winters in a row here are remote.  Typically winters tend to be quite "droughty" around here!  El NINO will take the rain /precip further south towards the Gulf states this winter.  I expect a"normal" winter with wild temperature fluctuations and sudden wind shifts!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

How about a big tip of the hat to the KC weather forcasting community . . . looking for that 6-12 inches of overnight snow to show up any minute now.  &&&&& ](*,)
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i cautiously watched a bit of one of those local HD weather channels last night and they were cavalierly throwing around the word BLIZZARD. we are to blame for boosting their ratings, otherwise they wouldn't bother stirring people up.
mailman641
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by mailman641 »

I hope nobody wanted to watch anything uninterrupted on a local channel tonight.  I'll bet my 2 cents that they'll all break into normal programming with "team coverage" and using yard sticks to measure the half inch of snow.  Don't worry though, they'll cut back to normal programming about 10 seconds before the ads, which they will air 100%.

I seriously wonder why can't they go nuts with their weather updates on their digital sub channels? No one recieves analog signals anymore so it's not like someone could tune in 9.1 but not 9.2(unless of course you're like me and have the cheap standard cable which doesn't include the sub channels but I do have local weather on channel 20).  If the public owns the air waves can't we petition the  FCC to force tv stations to do this?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: How about a big tip of the hat to the KC weather forcasting community . . . looking for that 6-12 inches of overnight snow to show up any minute now.  &&&&& ](*,)
Well, that's one thing Houston has KC beat in...Snow in the 2009-2010 winter.  I snowed pretty hard down here last Friday, kind of took me by surprise.  Earliest snow on record in Houston.   

I see KC has another chance coming up as a new low is moving into the SW. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

mailman641 wrote: If the public owns the air waves can't we petition the  FCC to force tv stations to do this?
not as long as the programming they're providing you is "free".

solution: stop watching broadcast tv. it's not as hard as you think.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Here's a great radar site for weather....

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Rad ... imate=true
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

DaveKCMO wrote: not as long as the programming they're providing you is "free".

solution: stop watching broadcast tv. it's not as hard as you think.
Watch FX...or Netflix Californication.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Anyone else snowed in?
KC is the way to be!
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

The snow is not the part that sucks so far, it's that murderous wind that is relentless.