Big 12 Basketball 2008

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Big 12 Basketball 2008

Post by Highlander »

kcmetro wrote: '09/'10 KU roster.  This team will be LOADED.

Starting 5
Sherron Collins
Tyshawn Taylor
Xavier Henry
Marcus Morris
Cole Aldrich

2nd 5
Elijah Johnson
Tyrel Reed
Brady Morningstar
Thomas Robinson
Jeff Withey

3rd 5
Chase Buford
Connor Teahan
Travis Releford
Mario Little
Markieff Morris

Not sure if CJ Henry will be eligible to play or not since he's transferring from Memphis.
KU was going to be loaded with or without Henry as Stephenson was likely to play at KU had Henry stayed at Memphis or went on to Kentucky.  The upside for KU is Henry's older brother who will probably be around until his eligibility runs out although I would be very surprised if he will be eligible to play next year.  The NCAA have been sticklers for the rules with a lot of transfers who have had pretty good reason to transfer (K. Lawrence had to sit out a year when he transfered to Seton Hall even after having a brother die and wanting to move closer to his family as a result).  I don't think having sat out last year will make any difference; he still practiced with the team although he did not compete, the same could essentially be said for Thomas and Appleton as their competition was extremely limited and they will have to sit out next year.  Sweet deal for KU having the Yankees pay for Henry's education though.  Is Henry still considered a baseball prospect? 

What KU will have next year that they did not have this year is a lot more depth.  I think it's safe to say the younger Henry will most likely be a freshman that makes an impact. 

Last edited by Highlander on Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

kcmetro wrote: '09/'10 KU roster.  This team will be LOADED.
aknowledgeableperson wrote: With booze or drugs?

Or both?
With Talent?

...Perhaps

With more 1st and 2nd round exits?

...Its a guarentee!!

P.S. Metro - Talent doesn't equate to post-season performance.  Just thought I'd let you in on that one before Bill and MC and MK do  :lol:
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Don't worry - the national media noticed plenty even if JLB is under impressed:

Oh, Henry! Kansas is officially loadedAndy Katz

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/ind ... =katz_andy
Why should I be impressed?  KU gets McDonald's AA's just about every year.  KU fans are making Xavier Henry out to be the next Carmello Anthony and he hasn't even stepped on the practice court. 
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

NDTeve wrote: Its about that time for Mizzou to go back to being a football school again.
When did we stop being a football school?  It's great to be in the top 25 in both sports.  We'll see if Anderson can keep Mizzou basketball in the top 25 on a consistent basis or if he is a one hit wonder like the Fighting Mangino's. 
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

jlbomega wrote: When did we stop being a football school?  It's great to be in the top 25 in both sports.  We'll see if Anderson can keep Mizzou basketball in the top 25 on a consistent basis or if he is a one hit wonder like the Fighting Mangino's. 
Mizzou will have a drop off next year.  Probably get better play from their guards but they won't have a great front line and that could get worse if DeWitt does not qualify and there is a good chance of that.  Anderson needs to prove he can attract a higher caliber of talent; the current talent might or might not keep the Tigers in the top 25 but Anderson has not landed many top 100 players (just 2 with Dixon and English).  Anderson's system is a bit of a recruiting impediment as it limits the amount of minutes even a great player is going to see on the court per game and you can bet coaches competing for the same recruit are more than anxious to point that out.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

jlbomega wrote: Why should I be impressed?  KU gets McDonald's AA's just about every year.  KU fans are making Xavier Henry out to be the next Carmello Anthony and he hasn't even stepped on the practice court. 
I think our excitement is warranted more than usual.  Not only is this guy a legit top 5 recruit, but he's also coming in when we need another big time scorer.  He's the Rush type wing player who will open things up for Sherron and Cole.  Elijah Johnson is also one of the best guards in this class, and his impact might be far beyond expectations.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

Next year's KU team is not as talented as the '08 team, which required multiple (more than two) players who could have left early to choose to return, and that team only really started to get accolades as the best team after surviving a tournament in which all of the top seeds in their region got knocked out ahead of them, they survived an and of the game shot from Davidson, and beat Memphis, in large part, because of vry bad free throw shooting.  I don't say that to take away from what KU accomplished, just to point out that to christen '10 as the national champion already is more than a bit premature.  They may win it all- the larger key to that, though, is Collins and Aldrich coming back.  That is the reason that KU was successful this year- they had a solid pg, and a solid post.  That opened things up for players like Morningstar to look better than they are.  KU will be solid, will be the frontrunner in the Big XII, will very likely be the preseason #1.  but we will see how it pans out.  I tend to be skeptical of any team that relies too much on freshmen.  And Self has never had a one and done caliber player.  I don't know if either of the previous commits is of that caliber, but X is going to want to showcase his ability.  If memory serves correctly, the AAU team that featured, according to some, the top three recruits in the country (Jaron Rush, Cory Magette, and Korleone Young) as well as Kareem Rush and, I believe, Victor Williams and Andre Williams who strte at OSU, sucked.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

kcmetro wrote: I think our excitement is warranted more than usual.  Not only is this guy a legit top 5 recruit, but he's also coming in when we need another big time scorer.  He's the Rush type wing player who will open things up for Sherron and Cole.  Elijah Johnson is also one of the best guards in this class, and his impact might be far beyond expectations.
And that is true- one thing that is exciting about K-State this year is the added post presence, which will have a much greater effect than just adding another great player at a position, it will add another piece to the puzzle.  X will probably add that. 
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

phxcat wrote: If memory serves correctly, the AAU team that featured, according to some, the top three recruits in the country (Jaron Rush, Cory Magette, and Korleone Young) as well as Kareem Rush and, I believe, Victor Williams and Andre Williams who strte at OSU, sucked.
No they didn't.  I watched them play several times/year at AAU tournaments in KC, STL, Las Vegas, and Charlotte.  They were always winning the tournaments.  CMH was basically a shoe-in to be in the tourney title game every time.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

phxcat wrote: Next year's KU team is not as talented as the '08 team
Yeah, it'll be hard to top that team though.  They were the best team in college basketball that year, and the best in KU's history.  It wasn't so much because of their individual talent, but because most of them played together for at least 3 years.  That's one thing KU won't have this next season.  They'll have gobs of talent, but how they mesh will determine how far they get.  I think they'll do just fine in that regard, but winning a title also takes toughness, and the only ones we can rely on for that right now are Sherron and Cole.  Tyshawn and Marcus will be key pieces to the puzzle.  If they mature a great deal in the offseason, it's gonna be tough to beat KU.
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

kcmetro wrote: I think our excitement is warranted more than usual.  Not only is this guy a legit top 5 recruit, but he's also coming in when we need another big time scorer.  He's the Rush type wing player who will open things up for Sherron and Cole.  Elijah Johnson is also one of the best guards in this class, and his impact might be far beyond expectations.
This is exactly my point.  Brandon Rush was supposedly a "one and done" and I think he failed to meet most KU fans expectations until his Junior year.  So... if Xavier Henry is the next Brandon Rush you probably should put your National Championship pre party on hold.  To win a NC you better hope Xavier is more like Carmello as a frosh than Brandon Rush. 
Highlander wrote: Mizzou will have a drop off next year.  Probably get better play from their guards but they won't have a great front line and that could get worse if DeWitt does not qualify and there is a good chance of that.  Anderson needs to prove he can attract a higher caliber of talent; the current talent might or might not keep the Tigers in the top 25 but Anderson has not landed many top 100 players (just 2 with Dixon and English).  Anderson's system is a bit of a recruiting impediment as it limits the amount of minutes even a great player is going to see on the court per game and you can bet coaches competing for the same recruit are more than anxious to point that out.
Mizzou's success in the Big 12 next year will depend almost solely on the development of Steve Moore.  Anderson said he loved the way he was progressing last year, but he couldn't put him on the floor because he was blocked by Leo and DeMarre.  If Steve can give us 25 solid minutes in the middle next year rebounding and providing a big presence on the blocks we may fare okay on the post. 

Guys like Bowers and Stafford will create match up problems for a lot of teams that will help us offensively at the 4 spot.  Our guard play should be up there with the best in our confernece with Tiller, Taylor, and English.  March is all about guard play so as long as we do not dig a deep hole before March I think we can make another run.  Villanova made the Final Four this year with a relatively small lineup.  We don't have a Scotty Reynolds, but we do have the best defensive guard in the nation!
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

jlbomega wrote: This is exactly my point.  Brandon Rush was supposedly a "one and done" and I think he failed to meet most KU fans expectations until his Junior year.  So... if Xavier Henry is the next Brandon Rush you probably should put your National Championship pre party on hold.  To win a NC you better hope Xavier is more like Carmello as a frosh than Brandon Rush. 
I think you're stating the obvious there. The main thing KU needs out of Henry is consistent perimeter shooting. From all indications...(acknowledging that based on nothing but hype)...this is one of Henry's strong suits.

im2kull..so winning a national championship does not erase 1st round losses? Those jabs are getting pretty weak and desperate.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

NDTeve wrote: im2kull..so winning a national championship does not erase 1st round losses? Those jabs are getting pretty weak and desperate.
Those jabs aren't backed up by KU's tournament history either.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tournamen ... am1Id=6292

Since 1981, KU has been to the big dance 26 times.  They have lost in the 1st round only twice:  '05 & '06.  They have lost in the 2nd round only 7 times:  '84, '85, '90, '92, '98, '99, '00.  During that stretch they also have 7 Final Four appearances and 10 Elite 8 appearances.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

NDTeve wrote: im2kull..so winning a national championship does not erase 1st round losses? Those jabs are getting pretty weak and desperate.
Pretty curious too - since Brotha2kull is such a "fan of the B12 conference" and not of any particular team and a KU "alumn" to boot, you would think he would be stoked about a B12 team being the preseason favorite to win it all and bring further respectability and attention to the conference he professes to love - rather than just to tear that team down and predict first round exits. 

Than again it could just be that Brotha2kull is full of shit and has zero credibility in anything he posts - I guess it is up to the reader to decide. 
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

jlbomega wrote: Mizzou's success in the Big 12 next year will depend almost solely on the development of Steve Moore.  Anderson said he loved the way he was progressing last year, but he couldn't put him on the floor because he was blocked by Leo and DeMarre.  If Steve can give us 25 solid minutes in the middle next year rebounding and providing a big presence on the blocks we may fare okay on the post. 

Guys like Bowers and Stafford will create match up problems for a lot of teams that will help us offensively at the 4 spot.  Our guard play should be up there with the best in our confernece with Tiller, Taylor, and English.  March is all about guard play so as long as we do not dig a deep hole before March I think we can make another run.  Villanova made the Final Four this year with a relatively small lineup.  We don't have a Scotty Reynolds, but we do have the best defensive guard in the nation!
I wouldn't say soley on the development of Moore but he will be a big part of the puzzle as he will be critical to depth on the front line.  Moore did one thing that impressed in either the Memphis or Connecticut game, his defender backed off and he squared up and dropped a nice jumper with a soft touch from 15 feet.  While that may not seem like a big deal, he did not have the ability or confidence to hit that shot earlier in the year.  Most of all he needs to be a big rebounder and stay out of foul trouble.  Him and Ramsey will provide the rebounding while Bowers and Safford will provide what offense the front line generates.  Safford has the capability to be one of the best offensive players in the big XII, excellent outside shot and great move to the basket for a big guy, I don't understand why he was not a bigger factor in 2009. 

Still, I'd feel much better about Mizzou if DeWitt would qualify and they picked up an additional big guy or small forward type.
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

Highlander wrote: Still, I'd feel much better about Mizzou if DeWitt would qualify and they picked up an additional big guy or small forward type.
Even if DeWitt qualifies I do not see him making much (if any) impact next year.  From the reports I have read he is very raw, but has all of the tools to be a very good college player.  When I think about Mizzou basketball 2009-2010 DeWitt isn't even in the mix.  That being said I still want DeWitt on this roster.  He has the ability to be a very good player for us a few years down the road. 
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Than again it could just be that Brotha2kull is full of shit and has zero credibility in anything he posts - I guess it is up to the reader to decide. 
Say's the one who posts nothing but...

KU

KU

KU

KU

&KU

Perhaps I use my brain, and realize how much BS these 2 most recent Self led teams are.  The 08 team was amazing, I cheered for them all year...go back and nitpick my posts from then, I'm sure they'll back my story up.  Hell I was a pretty damn big fan of the 07 team, and the 06 team...and we all know how far they went in the tournament.  I'm a Big 12 fan, yes, and apparently you don't like my factual points about your beloved University of Kansas...too bad.  Go grab a helmet buddy, life's tough.

P.S. - You, Metro, and Highlander all talk about Mizzou..and how its gloom and doom for Anderson and how incredibly bad his system is for recruiting...but have you ever taken a minute to realize that he runs a system completely different than any other system in the nation (including Kansas), and that...Perhaps....He doesn't need 4 & 5 star recruits?  ! Who knew that the three biggest KU fans on this board have yet to notice the production from their arch nemesis's obvious lack of Mc'donalds all americans.  Do you really think he'll need a "Loaded" team like Bill Self has to achieve what he hasn't 3 of the last 4 years?  You guys really need to work a new angle on this...

On another note, it is nice to see Roy clean up that junk Mich. St team that mighty Kansas couldn't put away.

Stay Kull  8)
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

im2kull wrote: P.S. - You, Metro, and Highlander all talk about Mizzou..and how its gloom and doom for Anderson and how incredibly bad his system is for recruiting...but have you ever taken a minute to realize that he runs a system completely different than any other system in the nation (including Kansas), and that...Perhaps....He doesn't need 4 & 5 star recruits?  ! Who knew that the three biggest KU fans on this board have yet to notice the production from their arch nemesis's obvious lack of Mc'donalds all americans.  Do you really think he'll need a "Loaded" team like Bill Self has to achieve what he hasn't 3 of the last 4 years?  You guys really need to work a new angle on this...
I've never posted gloom and doom post about Mizzou.  I am rather sanguine regarding the future of the Tigers under Anderson.  What I have posted is that Anderson will have difficulty picking up the higher profile recruits because they want to be assured of having 30 minutes plus per game of playing time which Anderson's system will never guarantee.  Whether they need these players or not is debatable.  I guess it depends on the year and how stacked with talent the opposition is going to be.  The Tigers, in my opinion at least, had a slightly better year than KU which had two micky D's and a host of 4 star recruits.  Nonetheless, it was also clear they weren't quite up with the final four teams; not far off but not quite there.  So what I envision is the occasional high profile kid and a lot of 3 star supporting players and having an elite 8 caliber team that may have the potential to go further every 3-4 years.  I think the Tigers could make the tourney with next year's team but they will definately lack the go to guys they had in the front court next year.  Anderson is really having a tough time on the recruiting circuit this year.  He signed DeWitt (which was a good get for MU) but he may or may not qualify and Dixon will be a stud.  But that's two players with 4 schollies available to replace the 3 top scorers on the team in 09. 

I don't believe the hype about the system obviating the need for talent.  Basketball regardless of the system still needs players that can defend, rebound and score.

kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

im2kull wrote: P.S. - You, Metro, and Highlander all talk about Mizzou..and how its gloom and doom for Anderson and how incredibly bad his system is for recruiting...but have you ever taken a minute to realize that he runs a system completely different than any other system in the nation (including Kansas), and that...Perhaps....He doesn't need 4 & 5 star recruits?  ! Who knew that the three biggest KU fans on this board have yet to notice the production from their arch nemesis's obvious lack of Mc'donalds all americans.  Do you really think he'll need a "Loaded" team like Bill Self has to achieve what he hasn't 3 of the last 4 years?  You guys really need to work a new angle on this...
I've never said anything negative about Anderson or his recruiting.  In fact, when he stayed at MU instead of taking the Bama job, I commented how it was a great thing for Mizzou.  Try again.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

kcmetro wrote: I've never said anything negative about Anderson or his recruiting.
That's cool I suppose...If saying that his (Andersons) recruiting won't lend him any 4 star or better recruits to compete while kansas does isn't negative at all.  :roll: Right.
THINK (ONE) KC.