Seattle and Portland trip

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
midtown
Strip mall
Strip mall

Seattle and Portland trip

Post by midtown »

I am taking a trip to Seattle and Portland this fall.  Tell me some awesome stuff to do (in particular, local food/music/art/culture institutions.  I'm not as interested in the typical tourist stuff like the space needle).
cdm2p
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Seattle and Portland trip

Post by cdm2p »

In Portland, go check out Paley's Place.  Somebody I know used to work there and I actually ate there a few times.  Great place.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

not a big deal, but this topic would be more appropriate for the Out of Town Talk.

8)
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

1. Take Amtrake between the two cities.
2. Go visit every brewery in each city.
midtown
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by midtown »

ComandanteCero wrote: not a big deal, but this topic would be more appropriate for the Out of Town Talk.

8)
My bad.  Mods, feel free to move it wherever it belongs.

I'm planning on Amtrakking between the two cities for sure.  PAX and Bumbershoot are the weekend I'll be in Seattle, so I will probably end up going to at least one of those.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Checkout Fremont in Seattle, it is a cool/interesting neighborhood.  It's artsy and 'cute' and very very liberal...there's a statue of Lenin.  I'd say it's a little like the crossroads...but not really.  http://www.fremontseattle.com/

Queen Anne is also a great place to get 'postcard' shots of downtown and to also check out some really pretty houses.

(A pic form Queen Anne I took a year ago.)

Downtown is fun to explore, of course.  They have the awesome new Koolhaas Library:

Also some good shopping, the original Starbucks, and some cool old buildings etc.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Oh, and the new Olympic Sculpture Park was one of the top architectural achievements in 2007 (after our Bloch Building!).  It's pretty cool...try to go on a clear day if you have one...you can see the mountains really well from there!

http://www.seattleartmuseum.org/visit/osp/

loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Midtownkid wrote: Oh, and the new Olympic Sculpture Park was one of the top architectural achievements in 2007 (after our Bloch Building!).  It's pretty cool...try to go on a clear day if you have one...you can see the mountains really well from there!

http://www.seattleartmuseum.org/visit/osp/

What an awesome perspective.
I hope the folks looking at capping the south loop of downtown have seen this! 
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Yeah, it's a really cool project!  Can't take credit for the photo though :(
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

do not drive. amtrak serves both cities quite well and we all know about portland's transit success and... seattle first light rail line opens in july! the space needle is actually pretty cool, and not the day-long affair such things can be in other cities. the tram in portland provides a stunning views of that city.
midtown
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by midtown »

I certainly plan to not drive at all during this trip.  Flying into Seattle, relying on transit and friends there, Amtrakking to Portland, and relying on transit and walking there. 

Anyone have experience with Ace Hotel?  I have someone to crash with in Seattle, but I'm looking at staying in the Portland one.  It looks pretty rad, is in the heart of downtown, and the prices aren't too bad.  http://www.acehotel.com/portland/

Thanks for the suggestions so far.  Keep 'em coming!  :D
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I have had the worst luck with priceline in Seattle, no luck at all.

Drive up (or take a ferry) to Vancouver :).
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Don't miss the pot cafes in Vancouver, if you are interested in that type of thing!  I was there four years ago (maybe it has changed?) but you could unofficially buy pot from people at bars (with giant duffel bags full of it) and semi-officially smoke it in certain cafes.  It was fun!
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

midtown wrote: I certainly plan to not drive at all during this trip.  Flying into Seattle, relying on transit and friends there, Amtrakking to Portland, and relying on transit and walking there. 

Anyone have experience with Ace Hotel?  I have someone to crash with in Seattle, but I'm looking at staying in the Portland one.  It looks pretty rad, is in the heart of downtown, and the prices aren't too bad.  http://www.acehotel.com/portland/

Thanks for the suggestions so far.  Keep 'em coming!  :D
I had reservations there at ACE, but ditched them for McMenamins White Eagle Hotel/Saloon. It was around 50 bucks...I would have paid much more. Its not downtown, but is across the river just off the Yellow Line (i think) in a small industrial district. It was once a lumberjack/sailor brothel, and is reportedly haunted. You get an old school room with a sink, the bathrooms are shared, but private. Great ambiance all around, i'll definitely be staying there again.

http://www.mcmenamins.com/index.php?loc ... 20Homepage

I also stayed at the Mark Spencer...nothing to write home about other than being downtown.
Last edited by warwickland on Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

In Seattle, find an afternoon to go to West Seattle and visit Beveridge Place Pub on California St. It's an absolutely outstanding neighborhood beer bar.

In Portland, visit the Tugboat Brewery, at like 6th and Ankeny, in the shadow of the one tall building in town.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

dangerboy wrote: 1. Take Amtrake between the two cities.
2. Go visit every brewery in each city.

Soo, I am doing this in 2 weeks (except for visiting every brewery).  Anyone have anything else to say about these two cities, specifically Seattle? I have a slight handle on Portland since I've been once before. I'm primarily interested in shit hole inner city dive bars in Seattle.

The White Eagle is still 50 bucks, I could not believe it! I'm staying there 2 nights this time.

I'm planning on renting a car (maybe) and hiking a low mountain...or just going back to Mt Tabor Park....pretty awesome geography and views for a midwesterner.
Last edited by warwickland on Tue May 24, 2011 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

You probably don't have time, but I love visiting the San Juan Islands.

Take an umbrella!
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

Warwick, try to stop by Kells Irish bar near Pikes Place http://www.kellsirish.com/seattle/index.php

Its a little "touristy", but located off an alley and has great atmosphere.

Have a great trip!  Take lots of pics.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

I've always wanted to take the underground Seattle tour.  It's supposed to be very interesting.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

It is a lot cooler than you might think for something so obviously touristy.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin